PDA

View Full Version : frustrated with math program for child with autism.. what do you use?

Jenene
08-29-2012, 05:31 PM
I am so going crazy with teaching my daughter math. She is 10 and hates math. Today was not a good day with school and I ended in tears thinking... what was I thinking trying to homeschool her. This is our 3rd year too! I looked online at time4learning.. but I dunno about that yet. We are using Alpha from MUS, and have tried touch math , but couldn't afford all the compete programs. Life with fred was too much reading and lost her on that.
any advise?

Katherine in CA
08-29-2012, 08:08 PM
I'm sorry, Jenene, about the Math frustrations . . . we've had our share through the years too! My dd had some learning disabilities, and after purchasing and starting MUS, I read that many children who have learning differences don't do well with MUS because of the very rods that are supposed to make it easier. Translating numbers into colors and then back into numbers is one too many steps for some.

For my ds, we've used RightStart Math, although like some others have shared, we ran into a roadblock when trying to master multiplication. But I really liked the foundation that RS gave him, and we may go back to it in a while. The abacus, the game cards, and all of the manipulatives were very necessary for my son.

Are you a member of HSLDA? They offer scholarships for curriculum purchases for special needs families. Just a thought. They have special needs consultants available as well.

Can you just play a lot of games using manipulatives, board games, etc. and use something online like IXL or time4learning?

Have you looked into the Math Mammoth workbooks? They focus on one skill at a time, and others here really like them.

I'm sure others will have better suggestions, but I thought I'd give it a try. Hope you find the right fit, or at least something to work with in the meantime! :group:

TonyaP
08-29-2012, 09:44 PM
My possible spectrum guy can understand concepts but cannot do computations well due to processing issues. I have continued to advance him and make accomodations like doing the base computations (the division and multiplication, etc.) or allowing the use of a calculator. I'm not sure there's any one right program, it will very much depend on the individual child's strengths.

Right now I am using a Prentice Hall textbook and workbook and supplementing with the PH online tutorials.

TonyaP
08-29-2012, 09:47 PM
Just remembered- you can access Adaptive Curriculum's math program through Learning.com for $8 per year. I am using the Aha!Math program through the same company for my younger three right now. Aha! is not a full curriculum, just a supplement. I have not tried Adaptive Curriculum, but for $8 I might.

To register at learning.com, you enter whatever you want for a user name and password, then enter e-[NAME OF YOUR STATE] for the district.

You can then go to the "Marketplace" and see the various curricula offered.

Renelle
08-30-2012, 01:19 AM
Just thought I'd post this in case it could be of help.
Living Math Book List (http://www.livingmathbooklist.blogspot.com.au)

I have a ds10 with Asperger Syndrome and he has really disliked math in the past. We ended up taking months of at the end of last year and then introduced LOF and just played games and read living math books and it has made all the difference in confidence and willingness to do math. I would do it again if I see he needs it. He actually does very well with math but just has this terrible memory of it.

We have also home schooled for over 3 years now.

Warmest wishes, Renelle

CINDY LB OH
08-30-2012, 07:09 AM
Learning to adapt programs is the key, I think, because nothing can be used strictly as written for a child with learning disabilities.

Since autism is such a general term, can you give more specifics about where your dd is struggling right now?

I know for my ds I use a combination of many different things. We started out way back in 1st grade with Miquon because it's what I used with my older children. Ok, some of it worked, some of it didn't. I tried Developmental Math, and we did a combination of both. That was OK for a while, but wasn't enough to cement the concepts for him. And the way the problems were written was often confusing for him.

I then tried Math Mammoth and that's where we've stayed. But I can't use it strictly the way it is. I still have to adapt it to my ds's needs at the time. Meaning, whatever concept he is working on, I have to find additional ways to support and work on that concept.

In the early years I added lots of math games, and that seemed to help the most. So if he was working on adding, then we played games involving adding. If I wanted him to work on memorizing doubles, then we played games to work on that and so on. I've found math games to be the best way to introduce now concepts, and then gradually move to paper/pencil. I still use this method, and my ds is 14, but it works for him. He needs lots of visual and hands-on to help cement the concepts. I also use right-brain methods with him as well, like the touch math numbers with dots on them.

I try and look at one hurdle at a time, and we work on that until he's ready for the next. Some hurdles take a very long time to get over, and they still need regular review or he forgets things.

What is your dd's current struggle?

Christi in OH
08-30-2012, 10:59 AM
How about the Teaching Math to People with Down Syndrome and other Hands on Learners book?

Melissa Crabtree
08-30-2012, 07:52 PM
Is your dd a good reader? We jsut switched to Math Mammoth and it has been really great for us. Ds10 is basically going back to the beginning (from TT6!) to learn how to really think about the math instead of just get it right on the assignment. What we like about it is that it is written to the student and they give you scripts (of sorts) about what one is to think about a kind of problem. It's been so great for ds! I ordered it as a download so I could print off whatever he needs, and like I said, we're going back to the beginning to learn those thinking scripts.

Jenene
08-31-2012, 12:57 AM
She doesn't like to read, that's one of the reasons life with Fred's didn't go over with her. When I read it , she would just go dazed.
Most special need classss use touch math. I think for now , I will use hands on and manipulative and see if her math u see might still work.
Thanks for all your help my fiar peeps!

Chris(Coastal)
09-18-2012, 08:35 PM
TEACHING TEXTBOOKS!!!!!!!!! I highly recommend it. :clap: My son struggled with Math until we tried TT.

Jenene
09-19-2012, 11:00 PM
Thanks I will check it out. Right now I am using the old timers method of memorizing math facts. Flash cards ect...