PDA

View Full Version : OOP FIAR books came today, and...

Heather (WI)
09-04-2012, 06:13 PM
After Steve posted the link to the sale on some OOP FIAR books from Purple House Press that we didn't have (A Pair of Red Clogs and Hanna's Cold Winter), I ordered them, and they came today.

Well, they are beautiful (as expected), and they make me want to "row" all over again!! ;)

SO, (with inspiration from another poster who suggested ideas for rowing with high schoolers), I am seriously considering a week here and there of "rowing" certain titles that fit in with the history cycle (or geography) of our main curriculum. I think it would be nice to have a change of pace some weeks to just "row" a related title (at a high school level, of course), and was wondering if anyone else has done this and can offer any suggestions (or maybe a timeline where the FIAR titles fit in the history cycle or geographic locations)??

I'm so excited about this possibility!!

Sue in MN
09-04-2012, 08:29 PM
We're studying China in high school and I plan to pull out The Story about Ping which is one of my all time favorite books!

Heather (WI)
09-04-2012, 10:01 PM
We're studying China in high school and I plan to pull out The Story about Ping which is one of my all time favorite books!

Neat! Are you "rowing" it (with ideas from the FIAR manual), or just reading it?

SheilaB
10-23-2012, 09:44 PM
I am soooo glad to see someone doing this!!! :clap: We wondered about doing the same - rowing in high school. Warm fuzzies :group: :group:

Kendra AU
10-24-2012, 12:09 AM
We'll be doing the same thing next year with our eldest.. fitting in a book here or there as it applies to the other things he's studying. ;)

Heather (WI)
10-24-2012, 12:19 AM
We'll be doing the same thing next year with our eldest.. fitting in a book here or there as it applies to the other things he's studying. ;)

That's awesome, Kendra! :clap:

Heather (WI)
10-24-2012, 12:20 AM
I am soooo glad to see someone doing this!!! :clap: We wondered about doing the same - rowing in high school. Warm fuzzies :group: :group:

:yes: Yes! Definitely warm fuzzies! ;) :)

Gail in NY
10-24-2012, 07:39 AM

I am amazed how often things come up with my highscholers and adult dc that take them back to a fiar book. My 25 yo dd just made an awesome scrapbook for Ping! She was doing it for her class at our church co-op and had a blast reminiscing. I always wear a warm smile when these moments come. :hcry:

Kimberly Kane in La.
10-26-2012, 10:59 AM
The entire week before we drove my firstborn to college...and the three days in the car driving up there...we spent time re-reading the FIAR books of her childhood and remembering the wonderful times we shared. Many a smile and tear were seen that week.

Lo and behold, she calls me from a used bookstore to tell me she has just scored several of her own FIAR titles. :hcry: These in addition to the ones she had already brought to campus from our "extras."

Back on campus, she pulls out Blueberries for Sal and proceeds to read to a table-full of classmates...all reliving the warm fuzzies of their childhoods.

There is no connection quite like a book...:cool: