PDA

View Full Version : Physical Science

Trudy
09-07-2012, 01:53 PM
What do you all recommend for Physical Science for 8th grade?

Hope
09-07-2012, 01:58 PM
We are using Apologia Physical Science for our 2 9th graders this year and they are enjoying it. They are not science-loving kids so it is really saying a lot. :clap:

Hollie in SC
09-07-2012, 02:12 PM
We're using Apologia w/a local high school co-op. They meet on Mondays for 16 weeks to complete the entire book. It is a push, but Eli is really enjoying it. :)

Rebe
09-07-2012, 02:40 PM
We're using Apologia w/a local high school co-op. They meet on Mondays for 16 weeks to complete the entire book. It is a push, but Eli is really enjoying it. :)

Wow, that's fast!

We like Apologia for Physical Science, too. My dc take it at a learning center, which is once a week for the whole school year.

Hollie in SC
09-07-2012, 02:42 PM
Wow, that's fast!

We like Apologia for Physical Science, too. My dc take it at a learning center, which is once a week for the whole school year.

Yes. We've dropped history for the 16 weeks. I was concerned if he could handle it, but he seems to be doing it well.

Rebe
09-07-2012, 03:03 PM
Hollie, that's a good idea. I did something similar. Dd is doing a high-school level literary analysis class with my oldest and me this semester, and I've dropped social studies/history for her during that time.

Trudy
09-07-2012, 03:48 PM
So, the older edition is a lot cheaper on amazon than the newer edition. Are any of you using the older edition? I guess I need to go check out their website and see what else I need to purchase.

Hope
09-07-2012, 07:43 PM
I bought the first edition because the price was low compared to the updated book. You can still buy the first edition components from CBD.

http://www.christianbook.com/exploring-creation-with-physical-science-volumes/jay-wile/pd/236402?item_code=WW&netp_id=249192&event=ESRCQ&view=details

Hollie in SC
09-07-2012, 08:03 PM
Our co-op allows either edition so I'm assuming there isn't a big difference. :)

AmandaB
09-07-2012, 08:31 PM
apologia physical science here...for my 7th grader. :)

Trudy
09-07-2012, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the information, I just placed my order. :)

Cari
09-08-2012, 11:54 AM
Another vote for Apologia here. We've got the first edition because my older girls used it. The mom teaching it at co-op is allowing either version, so I don't think there's much difference.

Nedra in California
09-30-2012, 10:31 PM
We are using Apologia Physical Science for the 2nd time (9th grader) and both kids and I love it.

Susan Seaman
10-01-2012, 07:41 PM
I'd always used Apologia for Physical Science, but this year we moved and I'm teaching at a new co-op. They wanted to use a Prentice Hall text, and all I can say is WOW! I really like this even better. It doesn't have the creationist perspective, but for the most part it is just chemistry and physics, so that doesn't come into play. It's probably a more expensive option, though, because you'd need a student and a teacher set.

Melinda
10-01-2012, 10:15 PM
I'd always used Apologia for Physical Science, but this year we moved and I'm teaching at a new co-op. They wanted to use a Prentice Hall text, and all I can say is WOW! I really like this even better. It doesn't have the creationist perspective, but for the most part it is just chemistry and physics, so that doesn't come into play. It's probably a more expensive option, though, because you'd need a student and a teacher set.

Susan, where can I look at this? How can I purchase it? I was on the pearsonschool.com page but I didn't see any buying options.

Julie in AZ
10-02-2012, 08:37 AM
My ds is finishing up Exploration Education (http://explorationeducation.com/) and really likes it. It's computer based with a lot of hands on included in the kit.

Susan Seaman
10-02-2012, 10:09 AM
Here is the book I use:

http://www.amazon.com/Prentice-Hall-Physical-Science-Concepts/dp/0130699888/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349190240&sr=8-1&keywords=prentice+hall+physical+science+concepts+i n+action

I have the teacher's edition because I am teaching it at co-op, and none of my kids are in my class (next year Noah will be in my class). I guess I'll get a student book for him next year. The only other resource I have is a DVD with little short segments that I show in class (they are totally optional, but I have a two hour class, and it's nice to break it up a little with a 5-min. video on some practical aspect of chemistry or physics). It might be a little harder to pull off labs at home with this book because it does use some chemicals that aren't as readily available. I am only using some of the labs in the book and substituting other labs and activities.

For instance, my class will be doing this chemistry Lego activity next week:

http://mindandhand.mit.edu/educators/curriculum-packages/lego-chemistry.shtml

Melinda
10-02-2012, 02:28 PM
For instance, my class will be doing this chemistry Lego activity next week:

http://mindandhand.mit.edu/educators/curriculum-packages/lego-chemistry.shtml

:cool:

Thanks for the info!

After some research, it looks like Prentice Hall is making the switch to ebooks. I found an app for the biology book. Don't know where the TM is, but so far I like what I see!