PDA

View Full Version : So we went to the vision therapist.......

Gail in NY
09-17-2012, 12:00 PM
and my dear sweet boy has multiple issues. Yes, they can be helped. The first thing is glasses. His vision is 20/20, but he needs help focusing. From there, it gets involved. Nothing really has a name, but there are convergence issues, some tracking issues, poor visual/verbal skills, poor coordination. He tested about an ave 6 year old in his skills and reading is that of early 2nd grade. He is going to be 10 in January. The dr said, "It is s good thing you homeschool him. He'd never make it in public school."
Is that supposed to make me feel better or worse? Oh, and the worst part? the therapy will take 6 -7 months, 1 hour a week, an hours drive to get there and it will cost $132/week!!!!! :eek: :eek:

That is a mortgage payment! we cant do that! We barely get by now and that is with nothing going into an emergency fund, nothing for savings etc.....I just wanted to cry. Now what do I do?
Tell him, "Oh, sorry honey, Yes, you do have some trouble areas, and yes, therapy will help, but we cant afford it.""

If I research Diane Craft, will that give me the help I need for my son in an affordable manner?

Rachel Jane
09-17-2012, 12:09 PM
:group:

ShelleyW
09-17-2012, 12:38 PM
See if the VT will work with you. Some will just meet with you once a month or so and just send you home with the homework for you to work on all month. If he/she really wants to help your child, there are ways they can help. Dianne Craft's program is solid too but we have seen GREAT results from VT for my 10 yo dd. It was worth every penny.

TonyaP
09-17-2012, 05:28 PM
I agree with trying to get homework and doing fewer visits, but here are some other ideas for "in the meantime."

For eye tracking, I had DS do word searches. Start with easy ones, and make notes next to each word showing what direction it is going or he will get frustrated. (i.e. If the word is backwards show an arrow pointing backwards, if it is diagonal draw and arrow next to it showing the direction and angle...) Teach him how to look for the starting letter or easiest to find letter, like Z or Q in a word.

For coordination, sports that require both sides of the body at the same time such as rock climbing or swimming are helpful. Full body exercises that involve arms and legs, espsecially those with cross overs (like cross over toe touches) will help.

For visual verbal, practice looking at pictures and describing the scenes together.

That's pretty much the end of my resources. The book Reading Resuce 1-2-3 has a few tips that I used with DS (never figured out what the problem was- just worked with the above and it helped.)

Start with the glasses and work your way forward from there. :group:

Gail in NY
09-17-2012, 08:09 PM
See if the VT will work with you. Some will just meet with you once a month or so and just send you home with the homework for you to work on all month. If he/she really wants to help your child, there are ways they can help. Dianne Craft's program is solid too but we have seen GREAT results from VT for my 10 yo dd. It was worth every penny.

His plan was once a week visits and homework also. I asked if we could stretch it out and he said m-a-y-b-e every other week :eyes:

I could handle once a month, but with gas and the cost of the session $600 a month!!!! :no:

I will see what he says.

Tonya - I like your ideas and I have 1 2 3 Reading rescue.

I was also thinking of All About Reading, but we aint made of $$ around here *sigh*

Katherine in CA
09-18-2012, 12:20 AM
Hi, Gail, I feel your pain! We're on the tail-end of completing our 2nd child's vision training . . . I might be able to help you with things, including the two expensive computer programs we had to purchase. I'll pm you!

Amy Joy
09-18-2012, 12:22 AM
I don't know how it works where you are, but my son gets his speech therapy thru the school near us. He will be getting an auditory processing, language processing and grammar processing assessments done as well. All therapy will come through the school division.
My daughter, with a feeding disorder, needed OT/play therapy and we thought we couldn't get it as we can't afford it. I got her seeing a youth/child counsellor thru the medical system who then referred her for the OT all at cost to the medical system.
Maybe there is some way to get him the therapy thru another avenue. Or do you have a kinsmen organization of some sort that helps lower income people? Our kinsmen org sponsored my sons preschool fees as it was something his speech therapist really wanted for him.
Just trying to think of options fo you. I know how frustrating it can be to not be able to afford what your child needs.

Rosemarie
09-18-2012, 06:25 PM
I have bookmarked at least one computer site that has exercises for vision therapy. I'm not sure if they would be helpful or not. They are a bit confusing to me, even more so for a child. I can forward them to you, if you are interested.

Will your insurance cover anything (if you have insurance)?

Sent you a PM with perhaps more local options?