PDA

View Full Version : Read alouds with dd17

amy v
09-19-2012, 08:54 AM
Hi-
Any ideas for read alouds with a dd17? I read The Reading Promise and am trying to do a modified version with our oldest. Any ideas are welcome! Thanks

Heather W
09-19-2012, 06:04 PM
Has she read enough classics?

If not, then here are some suggestions: (just to name a few)

Little Women and its two sequels
Anne of Green Gables
Treasure Island

You could also go for a different genre like Lord of the Rings (E14 is reading that to me now). If she's into that and likes the movies, The Hobbit is coming out in December. So, it's a good time to do that series.

Narnia- because it's so lovely.

Other books that are young adult/adolescent if you weren't a reading aloud type family before- anything will do Roald Dahl, Brian Jacques, etc.

CINDY LB OH
09-19-2012, 09:02 PM
My dd18's all-time favorite books were:
Pride and Prejudice
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Count of Monte Cristo
Tom Sawyer (though she disliked Huckleberry Finn)
All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

amy v
09-20-2012, 12:51 AM
Thanks, ladies! She has read most of these, maybe we can re-read. Any more suggestions out there?

Marcia
09-20-2012, 05:32 PM
I have one daughter who absolutely loved A Tale of Two Cities. She read it, and then read it aloud to me. I really enjoyed the book.

Joy in Alabama
09-20-2012, 07:05 PM
Elizabeth Gaskell? North and South, Cranford, Wives and Daughters

Jane Eyre?

Paige P
09-21-2012, 07:43 AM
Has she read Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neal Hurston? It's written in dialect, so it's not an easy read (necessarily, but some find it not difficult). It's one of my favorites, and it was always one of THE favorites of my students when I taught :) I used to read it aloud to my low-level students :D

Another African Am. book that isn't read as much but has a GREAT moral to it is A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines.

What type book does she like?]

Susan Seaman
09-21-2012, 11:34 AM
I suggest Imaginary Jesus and Night of the Living Dead Christian, both by Matt Mikalatos. Easy-to-read, funny fiction with lots of food for discussion.

Donna in MO
09-21-2012, 05:00 PM
Along with several that have already been suggested, my 17yod loved The Epic of Gilgamesh (condensed version by Robert W. Watson). If you can't find it elsewhere, I know that My Father's World sells it. http://www.mfwbooks.com/products/M50/50/5/0/1

Another one she really enjoyed was Fair Margaret by H. Rider Haggard.

Joy in Alabama
09-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Thought of 2 more. Gene Stratton Porter books. Christy by Catherine Marshall.

amy v
09-22-2012, 10:45 PM
Thank you, ladies!! I hope this helps someone else as well :)

Heather (WI)
10-24-2012, 12:21 AM
This isn't a literature book, but we are currently reading aloud and discussing Do Hard Things by Alex and Brett Harris. It's very good so far!

debbie in ak
11-05-2012, 03:03 PM
I suggest Imaginary Jesus and Night of the Living Dead Christian, both by Matt Mikalatos. Easy-to-read, funny fiction with lots of food for discussion.

Thanks for mentioning these!!!

Leslie Nelsen
11-05-2012, 04:23 PM
Some we have read for our book club

Evidence Not Seen - Darlene Deibler Rose
Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom
Story of the Von Trapps - can't remember the title but is the true story of the family from Sound of Music

Does she like historical fiction?

We liked Uprising (early 1900s in NYC). We are planning to read The Dressmaker (Titanic) for this month. Prisoner in the Palace (story about the year prior to Victoria becoming queen).

Also, there was a thread that I posted asking for book recommendations that you might find helpful. I'm looking forward to checking these out!

http://www.fiarhq.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100921