PDA

View Full Version : China

ab.grace
05-18-2007, 01:20 PM
DH just told me that we will be going to China next year. Please tell me besides Ping what other books are about China? Perhaps there are some on the HSS site too. I would love to do a month long unit on China before we go there next Summer. I have lots of time to plan it but I am really excited. Thanks,
AB:)

Mary FL
05-18-2007, 01:21 PM
Hi! I don't know of any books off hand, but what an exciting adventure!

karendg
05-18-2007, 01:29 PM
Off the top of my head:

You could do biographies of Hudson Taylor and/or Gladys Aylward (both missionaries to China.

Granny Han's Breakfast (http://www.sonlight.com/KH05.html) is a good one.

If I think of any others, I'll post them later.

karendg
05-18-2007, 01:31 PM
Off the top of my head:

You could do biographies of Hudson Taylor and/or Gladys Aylward (both missionaries to China.

Granny Han's Breakfast (http://www.sonlight.com/KH05.html) is a good one.

If I think of any others, I'll post them later.

Oh and don't forget to check the archives for go alongs with Ping...

MarieD
05-18-2007, 02:16 PM
Off the top of my head:

I have to chime in and say was an excellent book Gladys Aylward is! I read it aloud to my 7yo dd, and we both loved it. Amazing book!

ab.grace
05-18-2007, 02:50 PM
I have to chime in and say was an excellent book Gladys Aylward is! I read it aloud to my 7yo dd, and we both loved it. Amazing book!

Is this the Inn of the Sixth Happiness? I loved that movie, never read the book though.

AB

Jana in SoCal
05-18-2007, 10:35 PM
What about The Seven Chinese Brothers? I think there is also an updated version about Seven Chinese Sisters.

MarieD
05-18-2007, 11:38 PM
Is this the Inn of the Sixth Happiness? I loved that movie, never read the book though.

AB

:yes: and of course, the book is much better. ;)

Jen in SC
05-18-2007, 11:44 PM
Just want you to know that I loved China and want to go back very much! Maybe I'll hide in your suitcase! :D It was such an interesting place! Hooray for you! :clap:

There are tons of books on the Great Wall, the dynasties, the Forbidden City, etc. Just do some library searches and you'll find more than you'll ever be able to read.

Big Bird in China is a good video. And Jason and I found some good videos for us at the library on China just by searching...made the site seeing more fun and relavant to us. :yes:

Becky Jane
05-18-2007, 11:52 PM
What fun! :clap: We'll be in China this summer to bring home our daughter, and we're already planning a return trip sometime in 2009. For our trip this year, we won't be going through Beijing, but we'll be spending time in Hong Kong and then in our baby's province.

Anyway, I digress... Just wanted to add that I agree with Jen's rec for the "Big Bird in China" dvd. It really is quite wonderful and engaging. We bought a copy, and my children (and I) have loved it! My son, in fact, requests to watch it more than anything else.

Also, we have enjoyed the DK Guidebooks to China & Beijing. They are filled with such great photos!

Have a great trip!

Kendra AU
05-19-2007, 12:06 AM
Big Bird Goes To China was a huge hit here too.. There's a book out by the creators of the Magic School Bus called Miss Frizel Goes To China, it's filled with a lot of history about China, but explained in the typical Magic School Bus fashion.

Are you guys going to learn some basic Chinese first? We had a bit too much fun listening to some cassette tapes we checked out of our library. I want to say it was called learning Chinese the fast and fun way or something of that nature. All I know is the emphasis they put on the "woo" when saying five had us all in stitches. We've not forgotten how to say five!

Kendra

Jen in SC
05-19-2007, 08:59 AM
Have you read Safely Home by Randy Alcorn? This is a novel about the persecuted church in China. You won't see this part of China as a typical visitor, but it has had an impact on the way I pray for the church throughout the world and China specifically (and my daughter's birth family even more specifically). It's also a fast moving great novel (imo).

A similar book, but non fiction, is The Heavenly Man by Brother Yun. He is a Chinese man who has suffered unbelieveable hardship for his faith in Chirst. I was challenged in the area of scripture memory in this book.

These two are for you and your dh by the way, not your kiddos!

:)

Becky, 2009? No fair! :lol: We hope to return when Betsie is around Rachel's age, somewhere in the 9-11 range. :thumb:

LindainOK
05-19-2007, 10:25 AM
Another book for you and dh is A Mother's Ordeal. True story of one woman's life under Mao and the one-child policy.

Have fun! what province will you be visiting? My fav is Taiyuan, Shanxi. Not many Americans get there so the locals are much more friendly and open unlike busy, hustling, bustling BJ and GZ. And I've always wanted to visit Xian!

ab.grace
05-20-2007, 11:12 PM
I don't know what province we will be going to. We live in SE Asia and will have a meeting Thailand, and from there we will hop on over the take a walk on the Great Wall with our kids and so forth. We don't know where to go exactly, we have a year or so to plan for it though.

I read recently in a Family Fun Magazine to make a list of things that you would like to do with your kids one day, and refer to it often. One of the things that we both agreed that we want to do with our kids is to take a walk on the great Wall of China. I also want to take them to Paris someday too. Since we live overseas these dreams can become more real, because we can stop off places on our way back to the US, or when we attend meetings and so forth. We want to go to Austraila the following year too.

Thanks ya'll for the great book ideas!

AB

DD in IL
05-20-2007, 11:47 PM
The Good Seed from The Empty Pot by Demi

Story about a little boy name Ping who grew beautiful flowers. One day the emperor wanted to find a successor so he gave seeds to the children and he would pick the best the next year. Ping worked hard on his seeds but they would not grow. The next year he was ashamed to bring his pot and when he got there he saw all of the other beautiful flowers. The Emperor picked his pot because all the seeds given out had been baked and should not have bloomed but Ping was the only honest one in the group. Very good story.

shalomew
05-21-2007, 01:14 AM
Here are some more good picture books from my lists.

*ruby's wish by shirin yim brudges
*warlords puzzle by virginia walton pilegard
*story of paper, real story of stone soup, runaway rice cake, story of noodles -- all by ying chang compestine ( all have recipes in them)
*Moonbeams, Dumplings and Dragon Boats by Nina Simonds, Leslie Swartz
*in the leaves by huy voun lee---fall setting and a boy shows his friends how to make 10 chinese charaters, at the beach, in the snow, 1,2,3,go , and in the park are other books by the above author that also teach chinese characters
*Five-Fold Happiness: Chinese Concepts of Luck, Prosperity, Longevity, Happiness, and Wealth by Vivien Sung

I also just requested this book from my library but haven't seen it yet:
http://www.amazon.com/First-100-Chinese-Characters-Simplified/dp/0804838305/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-9294404-3934456?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179724319&sr=8-1

And I contemplated purchasing these flashcards: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0804833613/ref=wl_it_dp/002-9294404-3934456?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1RA12E3ORK4S3&colid=151IBJ86ISIZA

Great opportunity for you and you children!

Amanda
05-21-2007, 05:55 AM
We want to go to Austraila the following year too.
AB

You'll love it :thumb: Do you know anyone in OZ? (besides me that is :D ) Is your dh in the Military? Do you have a preference for what part of OZ you'd like to "live in"? Nosey parker aren't I? :lol:

ab.grace
05-21-2007, 09:05 AM
You'll love it :thumb: Do you know anyone in OZ? (besides me that is :D ) Is your dh in the Military? Do you have a preference for what part of OZ you'd like to "live in"? Nosey parker aren't I? :lol:

We actually have many Aussie Friends, and they have invited us to stay with them, but I don't remember which province. (I need to ask DH, where in Aussie are you?) We aren't moving there, we are just planning a holiday that is all. We are not in the military, we do service for the King. :cool:

Bye
AB

Amanda
05-22-2007, 06:01 AM
We actually have many Aussie Friends, and they have invited us to stay with them, but I don't remember which province. (I need to ask DH, where in Aussie are you?) We aren't moving there, we are just planning a holiday that is all. We are not in the military, we do service for the King. :cool:

Bye
AB

I live in the State of Queensland (we don't have Provinces here ;) ). If you look at a map of OZ, find the bottom part of Queensland (QLD), locate the Gold Coast region, and that's me! :hi: I live about an hour's drive from the border of New South Wales (NSW) :thumb:

Nancy Ann
05-29-2007, 03:31 PM
Here are some books we are using as go alongs for Ping that are about China or have Chinese characters.

Count Your Way through China by Jim Haskins( this has been fun to learn how to count to 10 in Chinese)

China by Nathan Olson great overview and pictures

The Yangtze River by Nathan Olson

Dim Sum for Everyone by Grace Lin

The Seven Chinese Brothers by Margaret Mahy

The Five Chinese Brothers by Claire Huchet Bishop

Tikki Tikki Tembo by Arlene Mosel