PDA

View Full Version : Update on your high school and college-age kids

Marcia
09-22-2012, 04:23 PM
Colleges are starting up, and I'm wondering how everyone is doing. Who is sending children off to college? Work? Staying home? Military? Etc...???

I'll start:

Levi (Age 19~almost 20): He went to community college last year and hated it. He did not return this Fall. He has been working about 32 hours a week at his job for quite awhile. He got two promotions and raises, so that's positive. He talked about going into the Navy, but I don't see any genuine interest now.He moved out for about 2 months, but moved back home. :) He dealt with some depression/anxiety issues this year, but he seems to be doing better. He went on medication for a short time and went to counseling. His counselor moved, so he stopped. He has been thinking about finding another one and continuing, because he felt like it helped him a lot. All in all, he is doing well. I wish he had some direction for his future though. I'm just praying God will order and direct his steps.

Lydia (age 18): She started community college and is doing great. She works about 28 hours a week and takes 4 classes. She has a direction she is going in and seems to have some clear cut goals. She is getting a degree in Fashion Merchandising.

Abby (age 16) She is in her last year of high school. She attends a co- op twice a week and likes school. Her plan is to graduate early (after this year), go to community college for 2 years, and then transfer to a 4 year college. She is leaning towards getting her masters in Psychology, but she also loves Biology.

Anna (age 15): She also attends a co op twice a week and is on track to graduate a year early, but she hasn't decided if she wants to or not. She has her eye on a college in Chicago, but I'm thinking a California college might be more realistic, but she is a go-getter, so who knows.

It's hard to believe we are in are final years of high school. Seems like yesterday I was desperately looking for help and encouragement for my 4 little ones and stumbled upon FIAR. :hcry: It really did fly by. :sad:

WendyW
09-22-2012, 04:53 PM
John started a Graphic Design program at a small private college. It's an accelerated program, and he'll graduate with an associates degree in 16 months. He's really enjoying it, and is off to a good start. He's done well with his assignments so far. However he has complained that they snuck in a grammar course under the title "business communications".:lol:

He's working part time at Dairy Queen, and now that it's fall his hours are being cut, and they close for two months in the dead of winter, so his income is not too great right now.

Rachel Jane
09-22-2012, 06:05 PM
Jer is studying engineering and the community college with the intent of eventually getting a four year degree. He likes it and is doing well, but there have been some growing pains. He was shocked that a teacher asked how many students in the room were functional stoners and then how many raised their hands. :perplex: He did say, though, that the people he met there want to do well and so they are all doing the work and talking about their assignments. He goes to cross fit now, having completed his black belt and wanting to try something new. He seems incredibly mature for his age one minute and then the next he seems like he is ridiculously naive! He is carrying a heavy course load so he is not working at a regular job, but he does earn money on a weekly basis by videoing dog sports and editing music and the occasional dog sitting.

Luke is 16 and in 11th grade. He is home schooling full time. He continues to play violin with the community orchestra and is now student teaching at the karate studio since he earned his black belt. He also earns money by doing odd jobs for people and doing dog care. He and I butt heads since we are a lot alike, but we're making it.

CINDY LB OH
09-22-2012, 07:35 PM
My oldest, April, is a junior this year at Cornerstone University (6hrs from home in MI). She is a Worship Arts/voice major. She loves the program and her classes. She's also singing on a chapel team and in the chancel choir, and plays flute in the symphony. It's been a little rough this semester though, since her boyfriend didn't return this year and lives about 3 hours away. He will be moving to town next semester though, but will be working instead of attending classes. But at least she'll get to see him more. Then, right before going back, her roommate from the past 2 years decided to transfer. She's not one to have tons of friends, but rather the type who enjoys just a few very close friends. So, with her 2 closest friends gone, it's been a little rough. She's moving along, just not having as much fun yet. I think she is getting in more study time though ;).

She also delivers the campus newspaper to different venues on campus, as well as different businesses around town. She enjoys it and it gives her a little extra income.

My second daughter, Erica, is a freshman at Ashland University (only 1 hour away). She's a theater major and absolutely LOVES it. She's got big plans and isn't afraid to go for them. She is the total opposite of my first daughter, and enjoys having tons of friends and being social.

She auditioned for the fall shows and was chosen to be assistant stage manager for one of them. She's so excited and loves her classes. On top of her classes, she has to do 20 hours of theater work per semester to keep her scholarship, so that keeps her very busy. Aside from the assistant manager for Bus Stop, she is on paint crew for The Importance of Being Ernest, their other fall show.

My ds14 is in 8th grade this year. He has learning disabilities, but continues to move along. He also has Aspergers, and went to church camp this summer for the first time. Alone. For 7 days. Where he had to talk to people :lol: That was huge for him, but he liked it and can't wait for next summer. He also wants to try out for a part in our co-op play this year. He hates speaking in front of people, so I was shocked when he told me. We will be working on his audition part this week. People = Anxiety. But we are going to give it a shot.

Then there's ds5, but we don't need to talk about him :lol:

Heather (WI)
09-24-2012, 11:29 PM
Luke is 16 and in 11th grade. He is home schooling full time. He continues to play violin with the community orchestra and is now student teaching at the karate studio since he earned his black belt. He also earns money by doing odd jobs for people and doing dog care.

This sounds a lot like our 15yo daughter. She is in 10th grade, full time homeschool, and also plays violin in the community orchestra and takes karate (just started in April and has her orange belt). She LOVES dogs and would love taking care of them (especially to earn money). She's really into photography and has had a few paying jobs taking pictures of other peoples' pets and kids. :)

Rachel Jane
09-25-2012, 05:16 AM
This sounds a lot like our 15yo daughter. She is in 10th grade, full time homeschool, and also plays violin in the community orchestra and takes karate (just started in April and has her orange belt). She LOVES dogs and would love taking care of them (especially to earn money). She's really into photography and has had a few paying jobs taking pictures of other peoples' pets and kids. :)

so, would they fall in love or hate each other? :lol:

Heather (WI)
09-25-2012, 01:04 PM
so, would they fall in love or hate each other? :lol:

LOL! :lol: Right now she's still not into boys, but I keep telling her that will change. ;)

mariah m
09-25-2012, 06:01 PM
Samantha (now 20) entered USF as a junior for speech pathology. She quit her retail job and is just going to babysit now for extra money.

Lucas (16) entered high school as a junior for the culinary program. So far, so good.

Now, on to worrying about Rebekah and Nicolas! :lol::roflol:

CJ
09-26-2012, 12:32 PM
Kennedy (18) - She started her unpaid internship at a graphic design business 3 weeks ago. It is going fantastic and her boss said she works more like an employee and not an intern and described her as diligent, works well independently, asks questions when she needs to, has to be reminded to take breaks, and is pleasant to be around. She plans to do this till at least the end of the year. Then she says she will continue or take classes for a specific job field. She hasn't decided yet. She signed her post-graduation contract with us spelling out the guidelines for her living here and not paying rent and what things would change it to needing to pay rent. The contract is for 6 months with an option for renegotiation if she or we feel it needs tweaking. I'm happy with how the contract came out. We're also requiring once a month counseling for her to help her with this transition. Kind of a life coach type approach with a trust therapist we know.

Madelynn (16) - I'm pleased with how well she is staying on top of her junior year so far. Next year she will do job shadowing like Kennedy did which led to the unpaid internship. She has been having at least a couple gigs a month and is performing with one of her father's bands. She is also teaching guitar and ukulele lessons. I am also using her as a teacher's assistant this semester. Both her and Kennedy are also house sitting together for around 15 days so they are enjoying that and Madelynn takes her school work with her and she checks in daily with me about school work.

Alek (14) - He started his freshman year this month...signed our high school contract and is keeping up on his 7 classes just fine. One class is actually an apprenticeship learning upholstery with my father. He is in the shop 3 afternoons a week for at least 2 hours. He has learned a lot already and has a natural aptitude for this kind of work. He says he enjoys it and thinks this is what he wants to do. I figure even if he changes his mind, it is still something he can fall back on or do on the side. He is also helping someone in our congregation build his house so that is another skill he is acquiring.

Cari
09-26-2012, 02:01 PM
DD18 is in her first full-time semester at community college after earning 12 credits as a dual-enrollment student. She is completing her pre-req's for the nursing program, although she isn't quite sure she wants to apply. If she does, she will complete her RN at the community college and save the BSN for later on after she has some work experience. She also works 15-20 hrs per week at Chick Fil A, where she's been for over three years now. They are great with working around her schedule. And she has her own photography business, although things are slow of late.

DD15 is in her junior year. She is taking government and chemistry (once/week) at our co-op and a full (and I mean FULL) load of courses at home. She hopes to take some CLEP tests this spring, and will take her first class at community college in the spring as well. She works a few hours per week at a local bakery and does babysitting here and there. We're holding off on a formal job until she gets her license next summer; she'll probably join her sister at Chick Fil A then.

And that's my girls. Still enjoying the one-on-one time with DS11 & DD8 :).

Susan Seaman
09-26-2012, 02:57 PM
Rebecca (19) is in her second year at Milligan College (about 2 hours from where we currently live -she now lives in the town we used to live in). She has an English major and a Fine Arts minor (photography), and is getting her prerequisites for PT school. She made the Dean's List both semesters last year and really enjoyed her classes. But she didn't have the best roommate situation. They got along but just didn't become friends. This year she and her new roommate are becoming great friends. Her situation last year (being homesick and not having the greatest roommate situation) has given her a real heart for the freshmen girls in her dorm, and they apparently come to her room in droves to hang out, chat, and eat her snacks. She doesn't work except for occasional photography gigs and serving as yearbook photo editor. She comes home every chance she gets, so she's already been home to visit twice.

My boys (Nathan - 16, Caleb - 15, and Noah - 13) are all taking classes at a local co-op, taking a government class with their boy scout troop, and involved in youth group and discipleship groups. Caleb is running cross-country and Nathan will be playing soccer in the spring. At home, I still tutor them in math and do Bible, read-alouds, etc with them. None of them have "real jobs" but they are all involved in learning various construction skills with their Dad. They still play with Lego every day, and won Best of Show at the Tenn. Valley Fair for their Lego creations.

Janee' in Texas
09-28-2012, 01:28 PM
Colby is my only one in highschool this year. He is doing great; considering shooting for a spot in West Point. He works part time in construction and is a electrical apprentice. He plays guitar in church too. All in all, I think he is doing very well.

Rebe
09-28-2012, 02:20 PM
My ds is in 11th grade and seems to be finally maturing a bit. :) He's taking his classes more seriously than he did last year (Last year: "What's wrong with a C, anyway? A C is average!" :eyes: This year he does not like his C's.) He's showing an interest in areas that relate to history (his true love), including government and economics. He actually asked to take Econ next year. :surprise: He hates math, so I thought anything with numbers would turn him off. But as I said, he's maturing. I can see it, faintly, like a distant, far-off light... :lol:

He's looking into colleges a bit. But he's getting really tired of me talking about them, so I'm laying off the college talk until he gets an ACT or two under his belt this year and we see how he does. That should give a better indication of whether or not any academic scholarships could be in his future, which will definitely affect his college choice.

Colleen OH
10-06-2012, 09:44 AM
Well, for my dc
Dd21 decided to help on the farm for a few more months.

Ds19 still works for siding company. He tried to quit because the hours are brutal and I think he is itching to work for himself instead, but the boss BEGGED him to stay. :lol:

Dd18 works for us pretty much full time and seems to pick up a bunch of truck driving side jobs. (Pick up and 30ft goose neck trailer). We joke that she has become a trucker. She tells me she isn't going to just sit by and let life happen and she likes to get into all these interesting situations.

Dd16 is taking on more of our business book work. She does photography on the side and works very s-l-o-w-l-y at school work. If she weren't being productive otherwise, I would get after he more.

Ds14 is really taking over machinery maintainence and does some custom farming. He is hitting the age where I have always had a hard time keeping my dc interested in sitting down to "do school". He, like the others, is wanting to go out and shake it up and DO something. Forget all that SCHOOL stuff. I have to get pretty creative to makethe whole thing relevant to real life.

Alice R
10-14-2012, 06:01 PM
I don't have too much to say but nathaniel is taking a really really nice co-op class at our co-op (the teacher is a chiropractor) and he has complimented me a few times on how he takes notes well, listens well, asks questions and is a strong science student. He is the youngest in the class. First year high school! :D

Gwen in Texas
10-17-2012, 08:58 PM
Hey, friends! I've enjoyed reading about your kiddos. I agree with Marcia; the time has flown. :hcry:

Karis is in her second year of community college. She is working towards an AA degree, then will decide where to go and what to do from there. Elementary Education and Psychology are two degree paths she has thrown around. She works about twenty hours/week as a nanny and is very involved in Cru. In May of her senior high school year, she moved in with my mom to be our "eyes on the inside," then in January of this year we followed her and all moved in to take care of my mom in her last few months. I threaten that we will always follow her! :lol:

Meg is in her senior year of high school, taking dual credit courses at community college and working part-time at a family-owned barbecue place. She volunteers a lot at church and attends youth group. Thanks to dual credit, Meg and Karis will finish their two year degrees at the same time. They would like to serve with missionaries somewhere (Africa?) together for a year before pursuing their four year degrees. Meg is interested in construction engineering, but is not enjoying Precalculus, so there could be changes ahead.

Nate is continuing with his awesome educational therapist twice a week, and slugging away at high school basics at home. If we put him in school, we would definitely place him in 9th, so we are calling this his freshman year. He loves youth group, playing football with a homeschool team (Go Lions!), and working off and on for a good family friend who is a contractor/builder/carpenter.

Ev asked to homeschool again this year (:clap::clap::clap: ), after three years on scholarship at a private school. She is taking one co-op class, enjoying youth group, reading great books, and is just generally my sweetie pie.

This has been a hard year for my family. In fact, the last few years have been rough in many different ways. We have been pulled apart, stretched, and patched back together. Life is hard. I am so glad we have each other and that the hard times have drawn us closer. My kids have grown and stepped up and learned in ways that don't show up on report cards.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." -- Einstein

And I am thankful for my FIAR family as well. I know, as you do, that jotting down the educational highs and lows does not begin to tell the story of our lives. We have been given this awesome and humbling job of loving and living with these amazing people! We all have heartaches and joys and regrets and successes and second-guessing and moments of bliss. And we have these beautiful souls.

Susan Seaman
10-18-2012, 03:20 PM
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."

Love that quote!

Rebe
10-18-2012, 05:16 PM
We have been given this awesome and humbling job of loving and living with these amazing people! We all have heartaches and joys and regrets and successes and second-guessing and moments of bliss. And we have these beautiful souls.

And I loved this quote. :hcry: What an encouraging and humbling thought.