PDA

View Full Version : dyspraxia and visual/spatial learning problems

AmyinWI
09-25-2012, 11:54 PM
My dd has been diagnosed with this (8yo). They really gave me no suggestions as far as teaching methods or programs (only classroom management/organizational ideas).Some things we either are already doing, or won't apply to a homeschool situation.

At this point, I'm looking for practical, easy to implement ways to help her at home. I am not planning on putting her into school to get OT (their suggestion)as I've already battled with them in the past for ST services and they wanted me to enroll her.

Anyone have any tips for me? I realize the answer to my question is probably not cut and dry since all kids are different and have learning differences.

WendyW
09-26-2012, 12:53 AM
Could you give us some idea of what difficulties she struggles with, rather than labels? Regardless of the label, we might have some practical ideas if we know what is hard for her.

Jennifer in VA
09-27-2012, 08:05 PM
For visual/spacial issues, there may be games you can play. Simple games of catch and not throwing right to her but to the right or left so she has to move to get the ball. What about puzzles to work on visualizing the final product and putting it together. Hopscotch so there is throwing into the correct square and jumping. Other thoughts/games:

tanagrams
Think fun games
blockus
I Spy type books or games

There is an overwhelming amount of info available if you search visual spatial info.

P.S. What about a simplified version of twister? Have her "practice" juggling by throwing a ball from hand to hand with an eye level arch and watching the ball all the way from one hand to another.

Cori
09-29-2012, 01:45 AM
My son is visual spatial and possibly dyslexic. Phoneme segmentation practice really helped him. I would recommend an inexpensive book called Reading Reflex. They need to be able to hear the individual sounds of the words, etc. It's a different approach from phonics, if that is not working for her.

Patience and a systematic approach. Go back and redo it if they are not understanding. I also found nice breaks also helped. Work for a few weeks, take a couple of weeks off, etc.

We might be due for another break.

AmyinWI
09-29-2012, 10:29 PM
ok, here are a few of the things she struggles with...

handwriting - reversing letters. writing letters small when they should be tall, or writing the letters like "g,p,y" in the full space instead of the "tail" below the line.
Only suggestion they gave me was teaching her keyboarding skills. :unsure:

Trouble writing shapes, or learning fractions because they involve dividing a shape evenly. I had her do an exercise the other day which was finishing a shape which was half drawn. She just could NOT draw the mirror image- she basically drew it the same as the other side.
Math concepts in general are a struggle. I don't even know where to start there.:unsure: She is in 1st grade math (just started 3rd grade)

Doing a 2-3 step instruction when it involves putting things in certain places. "put your shoes in the basket, hang your coat on the hook,and put your book on the shelf". One or two of the things will be forgotten.

Looking for things is a huge problem, or cleaning up things with multiple parts. Say legos- most of them will get picked up, but she doesn't get to look "under" or "behind" things.
If we go to the grocery store, I will say something like , "pick the box on the bottom shelf with the red label" . She has no idea where to look. It's very frustrating, but keep taking her with me to shop to work on these skills.

Drawing is hard for her- she loves to draw and has 2 sisters that are fabulous artists,as well as a friend her age that can draw just about anything. But even the simplest books like "Draw write now" are a struggle. I just keep encouraging her to try as long as she is interested.
Ok-so that's all I can think of for now.

Positives: Her reading is absolutely excellent- right at grade level. Spelling is OK, could be better but I'm happy with how far she has come. And she is very positive about wanting to do better and doens't ever get frustrated (like I do!). I think her happy positive attitude will get her far in life.