View Full Version : EEG and more

Mary FL
09-27-2012, 11:25 AM
What can you tell me about an EEG for ADHD and other possible brain disorders like processing, short term memory, learning disabilities, and so on? We just received more medical information regarding our ds10 (he was adopted at birth), and I'm compiling a list for the psychologist to see if he would recommend an EEG with the pediatric neurologist who we have seen before for ds' migraines and subsequent MRIs.

Please share your experience. I feel like I'm on a journey to get answers for our ds so we can give him the best possible help so he may succeed in life. I'm really trying to be positive. This has not been easy the last ten years. I know you all know what I mean.

I'm also pursuing special testing for vision as this may be impairing his ability to learn and/or frustrations. Any advice for that?

Thank you so much.

Jennifer in VA
09-27-2012, 06:47 PM
We actually had an EEG done prior to meeting a psychologist for testing. It was to rule out seizures that can happen without any physical responses. We talked to the neurologist about a number of things, regarding learning and ADHD type things. It really didn't sound like an EEG could help diagnose those things specifically. The EEG may show items that are a concern, but not an exact issue. The doctor ordered blood work to rule out some learning glitches that present through blood and meeting with a pyschologist for other "labels".