PDA

View Full Version : ideas for toys for child with autism...

AmyinWI
09-29-2012, 10:53 PM
that has no interest in pretend play/building toys/creative play...etc.
This is for my 5yo. His early childhood teacher is asking for suggestions. he has a favorite "sensory box " toy that he is obsessed with. They want to take it away because all he does is flop down on the floor on his stomach and play with it the whole time and has a fit when they want to take him out for therapy or other activities. The first few days it's been gone he wanders the classroom looking for it.:sad:

At home he only prefers toys that light up, play music or have buttons to push. He loves to swing , but we can only go outside for so much of the day. He will use markers or play dough for very short periods of time. Tonight he sat and put blocks into a bucket and dumped them out repeatedly for 20 minutes. that's the longest he's done an activity like that.

Any ideas? I am interested in a toy that might encourage him to do something, then give him a light up/music response at the end.. but not play music/lights the entire time . Something he has to "work for" if that makes sense.

Shannon P
09-30-2012, 12:37 AM
The main Phoenix library has a supply of toys that can be checked out for children with special needs. Perhaps there might be a similar toy-brary in a major library near you. Even if you live too far to check out a toy, they might have suggestions and resources.

Clara S
09-30-2012, 07:12 AM
Your child sounds just like mine! Here are a few ideas:

Matchbox car track that sets up as a ramp. My son loves to put the cars at the top, push the button, and watch them zoom down. There is a mechanism on the bottom that announces the winner. It is something that the siblings enjoy doing with him too.

Parachute play

Rocking chair and cardboard books of his favorite TV shows

Teach him to start a radio or cassette player... Put stickers on the buttons he is to push.

Water play table filled with water or a 25 lb bag of pinto beans with funnels, cups... (dry rice or sand works well too but is hard to clean up) A baby pool filled with these things works well too.

Large balls to sit and bounce on

plastic snow globes, Very stimmy, but he loves them

The old-fashioned view masters with a bunch of the slide rounds in a container. All you have to do is get him to do is click the switch to change pictures. Then he can be taught to switch the slide rounds himself too. I think they still sell these at Target.

:group:

CINDY LB OH
09-30-2012, 11:22 AM
Leapfrog (http://shop.leapfrog.com/leapfrog/) has tons of different learning toys. Maybe they would have something that he might like?

Hollie in SC
09-30-2012, 11:34 AM
Two places for ideas that came to mind:

http://www.toysrus.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=3261680

book (http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Language-Toys-Communication/dp/1890627488/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349022821&sr=8-1&keywords=language+of+toys)

JoyMarie
09-30-2012, 12:31 PM
We have a hammock swing in the boys room hanging from their ceiling. We got it from Ikea and they Love it. Another idea is an Ezy Roller. We have an open floor plan in our home and they ride around the circle INSIDE the house. It is very easy to control so they don't bang into everything. My living room is also home to a mini trampoline and a tumble mat. Can you tell, my boys are very active!: