PDA

View Full Version : Speech Therapy

Mary FL
10-04-2012, 10:39 AM
Are there any computer programs, websites, or anything like that to help with speech therapy at home? )

It's not looking favorable with our insurance.

Has anyone done speech therapy at public school? There is probably a long wait list there...

Alice R
10-04-2012, 01:05 PM
Tell us what the specific area of concern is and maybe we can help you.

There are probably thousands of things to help you but are you talking articulation, phonology, syntax, pragmatics, processing...

How old is the child? What is their level?

WendyW
10-04-2012, 01:38 PM
Has anyone done speech therapy at public school? There is probably a long wait list there...

Both my boys did therapy at the schools. No wait list for us, but sometimes in groups which was not very effective. 15 min 1-2 times a week at school gives very limited results. At-home practice absolutely had to be done, though their "help" with that only consisted of occasional worksheets. The therapists were mostly very nice and good at what they did, though there were exceptions. Usually no choice about who the therapist was, and when we got a bad one we were stuck with it.

I'm VERY glad we had the option of working with the school. We never could have afforded therapy otherwise. But there are down sides to the arrangement.

Amy Joy
10-04-2012, 02:41 PM
We had had three in speech therapy. Our current one has a variety of problems. His speech problem is considered "one of the most severe". That being said, daily practice for 10-15 minutes at home is the best. We go thru the school, but all that gets us is random assessments with worksheets. Use those flashcards type worksheets daily while taking turns playing a game. Your child must say a target word or sound correctly before each persons turn. We use games like HiHo Cherry-O and Connect 4. If you need to make sure you are modeling the word/sound correctly before your child says it. Draw out the sounds. For example we are working on s blends. So I say " sssssssssss--pider" then he repeats the same way. We also use hand cues. For spider, it would be a finger to the corner of your mouth then drawing a snak out while saying the "sssss" sound then opening your finger and thumb once like a bird chirping to represent the "popping" sound of "P".
Depending on the issue there are iPad games, but I find them way less effective than daily one on one sessions with me. If you want to look her is articulation station, minimal pairs, all about sounds, and arctic pics. Those are the ones I remember right now. I'm sure there are more.
Feel free to pm me if I can help you anymore. My son is 6 (7 in Jan) and is classified as being intelligible 50% of the time with articulationproblems, auditory processing disorder (probable, but testing will come soon), stopping, fronting and a few other issues.
Hope this helps you.

Mary FL
10-04-2012, 05:52 PM
Tell us what the specific area of concern is and maybe we can help you.

How old is the child? What is their level?

Son, 10 years old, 5th grade
severe articulation disorder
processing - verbal/nonverbal language

It is recommended he get an auditory processing test, too. We're working on it.

I'll write more later, but this is a start.

Jennifer in VA
10-04-2012, 10:09 PM
Oldest was referred to Child Find (toddler pre-school age Speech Therapy) when he was about 2 and again at 3 1/2. He has been in "public school" speech since he was four except for 1 year we opted out. Not a good thing.

Public School Speech Therapy, has been just ok. It is generally group setting with minimal or no homework. We decided to go private this year and are trying to work it out so insurance will pay. It is all about getting the right terms down on paper and having the pediatrician "sign off" on it. From what I found out, through the billing department, where we go, generally insurance will cover it if it is restorative. Meaning, you had speech, something happened and now you don't. When I spoke with insurance directly, it sounded like we might be able to get coverage if it comes from the pediatrician. I need to finish up my bullet list of items I'd like in a letter from doctors office. Trying to stay away from using just "articulation" as that might get rejected.

CINDY LB OH
10-04-2012, 10:30 PM
For my ds14, we used Goodwill Services Speech and Hearing. He went for 4 years. Not all Goodwill's offer it but maybe yours does. It is a United Way funded program so they had a sliding fee scale.

Most of the kids who used it were public/private school kids who were scheduled after school. He had a 30 minute private session 1x per week all year round, even in the summer. And in the summer, we could do 2x per week if we wanted. It was wonderful and we only had to pay $8. per session.

Mary FL
10-05-2012, 08:40 AM
Thanks, ladies. I appreciate you.

Alice R
10-05-2012, 05:15 PM
Not a big Rosie fan but I give credit where credit is due. ;)
Her son had pretty severe language processing issues and this is her story of going through every speech therapist, program and therapy to finding him help. Also, what it's like to deal with this from a mom's point of view. I loved her book.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Sound-Hope-Recognizing-Processing/dp/0345512189/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349471349&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=rosie+odonnell+language+processing

If i remember right, she names specific programs. I got it at the library.

The book "like Sound through Water" is also excellent and she also talks about which programs she used at home.

Articulation? he had a formal speech eval, correct? You can take those results and simply work on articulation sound by sound. There is a order to which sound first and which sound next etc. but you can certainly self teach that...it's not hard. This blog might help you get started.

http://mommyspeechtherapy.com/

If they said it was a motor speech disorder like dyspraxia or apraxia, you are going to have to get a speech pathologist to work with him. That's a lot to self teach. It's too much. A public school might not even have a speech pathologist trained to do that kind of work.

I posted a blog on social/pragmatic skills recently. I can't find it but I will look some more later.

I will keep thinking for you...

Mary FL
10-07-2012, 09:01 PM
Thanks, Alice. I looked over these resources tonight.

Yes, he's had speech evals.

Alice R
10-08-2012, 07:43 PM
super duper speech has nice and simple artic things.

def check them out!

Mary FL
10-09-2012, 10:59 PM
Checked them out, too. Hadn't heard of them before.

Alice R
10-10-2012, 03:28 PM
super duper makes good stuff that is easy to understand/use at a decent price.

plus the kids like them.