View Full Version : graduation ceremonies w/ co-op

10-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Next year our co-op will graduate its first group of seniors. We have four. My son, another boy and two girls. I know it's a year away, but we're all so excited with this being our co-op's first graduation.
If you are part of a co-op, what do you do for graduation? Each of these kids will probably have private family graduations too, but we'd all really like to do something together. What are some things we can do as a group to make it a special day?
BTW, I think we mom's are more excited than our kids.

Jennifer in VA
10-04-2012, 06:22 PM
Our co-op has a scatter amount any given year. Last year none, the year before 2.

At the appointed time, they walk in, to the usual the Graduation March (Pomp and Circumstance) and sit in the front row. They're called up one at a time, a video is played with pictures through out their life set to a favorite song. The parents present them with a diploma.

This was done, a few years back, for a group of families that got together for their 10 kids (10 families, not 10 graduates from one family :lol:). There was a reception first, where each graduate had a table with pictures, awards, etc on display. There was cake and punch available. After a time to mingle, everyone moved upstairs to the sanctuary, which was packed with families and friends (it was very full and probably seats 700 easily, cool for only 10 graudates). The 10 walked in, sat in front, and came up onto the stage individually for their "life video". Very nice ceremony.

10-04-2012, 06:47 PM
Thanks Jennifer. This is exactly what I was looking for. We've talked about doing the pictures.

One of our families thinks this would be better for a private family deal. She was thinking that maybe everyone at the group ceremony wouldn't want to sit there and watch pictures/video of kids that they really didn't know. She's thinking family and friends that aren't associated with co-op and really don't know the other kids. So, were the pictures/video well received?

Jennifer in VA
10-04-2012, 07:10 PM
At the one for the 10 kids, we only knew 2 of the kids. It really was encouraging to see all the kids video's and to see the amount of people that could come to support these kids. If the song was no more than 4 minutes, your talking about 40 to 50 minutes for the whole presentation, maybe 60 if you have a benediction from the pastor.

Public schools around Northern VA and VA Beach area (I have family there too) only get 4 or 5 tickets to the graduation, so your whole family can't go, let alone friends.

Susan Seaman
10-06-2012, 12:34 PM
Our group has about 30 graduates. We do a fairly traditional ceremony with cap&gown, commencement speaker (we've had some really good ones, and they're more like sermons), special music, etc. There is a slide show before the ceremony with 7-8 photos per student running in a loop. When the diplomas are handed out, the parents come up there to present them, and the emcee reads a letter of blessing from the parents (we are limited to a paragraph or so to keep it from taking forever) while they are on stage.

After the ceremony, there is a reception with cake, punch and coffee, and each graduate has a table set up with memoribalia.

After the reception, grads often go on to have an additional party either that evening or on another day. Rebecca didn't want us to do this, so our extended family all went out for ice cream and gathered in the parking lot surround Rebecca and pray for her. It was simple but nice.