PDA

View Full Version : Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings for 9th Grade

Hollie in SC
10-07-2012, 07:48 PM
:hi: I know several of you have used this study. I'd love to hear more about it. My 8th grader has requested it for 9th grade. He has read all of the books several times and thought the study would be :cool:!

I have a few specific questions:
1. He has a compiled volume of the book, but it isn't the same one she uses when she mentions pages in the study. Do you think that would be a pain? I don't mind buying another copy if it is. :)

2. How is the teacher guide? I haven't read the books and I'm so overwhelmed by my current reading pile that I don't know that I'll have the chance. Will that be a problem? I want her to hold my hand. ;)

3. The only book I saw on the site (besides her books and the LOTR combined volume) was Ten Tales From Shakespeare. We have that as we used it with Beyond. Are there any other books to buy/check out from the library?

4. Is there any thing else I need to know?

Thank you!:hi:

CINDY LB OH
10-07-2012, 09:04 PM
It's been 5 years since my dd21 used it, so I don't remember everything. But I do know we did not use the compiled volume that she has. We used the 3 separate volumes and it worked just fine. I don't remember having any trouble finding what we needed to find.

I remember it being very easy to implement on my part. She also has a schedule on her website that we used, but maybe it comes with that now.

We also didn't buy any extra books, but used the library for whatever was needed.

Rachel Jane
10-08-2012, 07:19 AM
Ditto everything Cindy said. Very user friendly.

JuliaT
10-08-2012, 09:03 AM
I have the first edition and I know that the second edition is set up differently but I think it is probably just as easy to use as the first edition was. I just bought the teacher's edition as I didn't want to do the fill in the blanks and other busy work in the student book but now you have to buy both even if you don't want to do the busy work. That probably won't effect you but I thought I would just throw that out there.

Heather W
10-08-2012, 11:19 AM
The teacher's edition has the answers but also the vocabulary tests.

I did buy the combined volume for just the reason you stated. I didn't want it to be a problem with page numbers. She references page numbers not chapters so that is a bit annoying to me even with the right book! :lol:

Very easy to implement. My 9th grader is using it and my 7th grader has joined in. The more the merrier around here. :)

ETA- we did buy The Sumillieran (sp?) for fun and I picked up the book of Tolkien's letters because she refers to it a lot and suggested it. We had to buy the Shakespeare book, but all in all nominal costs compared to the curriculum.

Hollie in SC
10-08-2012, 01:09 PM
:hi: Thanks so much! Great news for me. :yes: :clap: It sounds like something we can do and he will be thrilled. :D

Heather, I think I'll wait on the compilation and if it is too annoying I'll order it later. ;)