PDA

View Full Version : Former FIARer needs suggestions

AZrobin
10-13-2012, 07:18 PM
I'm looking for some curriculum suggestions for my 10th grade son who has transitioned from a homebound program at school to independent study at home (homeschooling!). I need curriculum that will allow him to:
- either advance quickly/test out of material, or
- take extra time if needed
- be as completely independent as possible

My mom will be home with him during the day, but her health prevents her from being much more than an overseer. I will be available minimally in the evenings to help him (his dad, not so much at this time). We may transition him to his college prep high school at some point, but if we find something that fits well, he thinks he might prefer to homeschool all the same. He is dyslexic and has GI issues, but most teachers are not aware of his struggles in a regular classroom setting. We used Spalding/WRTR, so his reading weaknesses aren't readily noticeable. He still tires easily and deals with sensory issues that aren't, as I mentioned, apparent to most teachers. He is bright, but still struggles with glitches that become more apparent as a result of a lot of bookwork. He's an auditory (most have been those FIAR read-alouds!) and kinesthetic learner.

The options listed here (for English, math, science, and history) http://www.rodandstaffbooks.com/list/High_School_Courses/
looked like a good fit for him, but not through the school - ordered independently. I've used Rod & Staff in the past, but not for upper grades. The math receives good reviews, as does the science, but I'm not sure about the difficulty of the chemistry!

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! I'm not looking for anything fancy - something affordable, independent-based, and a good transition to school or a good fit for permanent homeschooling, as he thinks he might like to homeschool for the remainder of high school if he finds something he likes!

Blessings,
Robin

Loree'
10-13-2012, 07:37 PM
My auditory-kinesthetic learner did really well with Math U See in high school.

We're big fans of Apologia science around here!

Foreign language - Rosetta Stone.

Learning Language Arts Through Literature for American Lit & British Lit.

Trail Guide to World Geography for geo credit.

Well Planned Day now has an online planner. You can make his assignments from your computer. He can log in from his computer. As he marks assignments complete, you can see it from your computer so you can check his progress through the day from work if you want.

Kendra AU
10-14-2012, 09:46 AM
Have you considered something like Switched on Schoolhouse?

Esther-Alabama
10-14-2012, 12:49 PM
I have a dyslexic son, too.

I can maybe suggest

Progeny Press literature guides for literature/reading/history. I choose books from their lists of historical fiction selections. I get him the book in audio format and buy the guide. He works on the guide, while he listens to the book. I also usually sit with him and discuss the historical facts of the age we are studying. I want to see him understanding what he has learned vs memorizing facts and dates. We have used a textbook found in audio format on Learning Ally (formerly Reading for the blind and dyslexic). It is the text used by our local middle school for history.

Math U See - coupled with Khan academy online for help with explaining the math concept.

For writing we used The Hands an Essay by Bonita Lillie. Wonderful!! She provides a DVD to explain the lesson and step by step lesson plans the you could assign him in small chunks.

Science is one we've struggled with, but Apologia has all their texts in audio format, but this science still requires a large amount of writing answers, etc... You could do these orally. I find having my ds do reports on varying subjects in different formats has helped. Writing an essay, doing a poster presentation, and a presentation using KeyNote or Power Point are all ways I have had hm express and validate his learning in many subjects.

HTH!

CJ
10-14-2012, 05:19 PM
There are some good ones mentioned, but I do like Switched on Schoolhouse or their LifePacs for filling in any gaps. They have been a life-saver for me and free me up to have enough time for FIAR and other priorities.

Heather (WI)
10-14-2012, 08:22 PM
Have you considered ACE (Accelerated Christian Education/School of Tomorrow)? They are similar to LifePacs and Christian Light Units.

http://www.aceministries.com/

They also have online placement tests (or written you can order).