PDA

View Full Version : Common college application question

Vicki P in VA
10-18-2012, 10:08 PM
Hi all:

My goddaughter is beginning the process of college applications for next fall, and is currently looking at the common application for her state (GA). She is having a bit of a challenge with the application, as she has homeschooled for the last few years (and off and on before that). At the moment, she is trying to make her education experience "fit" into the requirements of the application by trying to designate a "school counselor" a "teacher" and so forth (she primarily unschooled, but her mom was technically the supervising educator--and she was formerly a public school teacher).

I'm just wondering if this is necessary. It would require them to make shift with a lot of information, and might end up making their situation look worse, not better, simply because they are in unfamiliar territory. They also want me listed as a counselor, and while that might be "technically" true in a looser sense, I'm not a licensed school counselor in any stretch of the imagination!

Do any of you have experience with this? Do you have to fill in all of the school info as if the student were part of the public school system? This just seems very odd to me, but as my own kids are in pre-k and Kindergarten, I'm at sea. I know homeschooled kids make it to college, because they often end up in my classes. I'm just not sure what hurdles they have to go through to get there!

DD in IL
10-18-2012, 10:31 PM
I just went to a informational meeting tonight concerning homeschoolers attending a community college for either high school credit or for dual credit. They have a form for "principal' approval and parent. I think I would check into what the schools have available to fill out for homeschoolers rather than trying to fill a spot and it come off looking not quite right.

Gitel in nj
10-19-2012, 07:22 AM
The common app is not state specific. Most, if not all, colleges and universities in the US accept it and even prefer it. Some, however, will still take paper apps.

We are currently in the throes of this, but my son is enrolled in Public High School although he will be adding some homeschool info to the app.

I would suggest that your niece contact the admissions office of the schools she is applying to and ask their advice. That way she will not cause herself any problems.

Dawn Gilmore
10-19-2012, 09:47 PM
can she not just put "N/A-homeschooled" into that blank? It's what I would encourage, especially if you didn't have a formal couseling relationship with her during those high school years.