View Full Version : racing to adulthood

10-26-2012, 04:55 PM
It seems to all be happening at once. My oldest is preparing to launch, and while I'm very happy about it (in more ways than one), I can hardly believe this is happening to the little 8 lb. 5 oz. newborn I brought home from the hospital just yesterday.

He's taking the ACT tomorrow for the first time.
This week he went to his first formal dance. And he actually danced. (His siblings bet that he wouldn't, and I agreed with them. Apparently we were wrong.)
He's getting very close to a real driver's license.
We just attended our first college "showcase" for a school he's very interested in.

This can't possibly be happening, can it?

I read Kimberly's sweet story on another thread of sitting down with her college-age dd and re-reading FIAR books ... and realized that's not going to happen with my ds. :lol: I wish it would, but :no: . Childhood is gone. He's very non-emotional and non-sentimental about it. I, on the other hand, am not.

So I come here to commiserate with other moms whose babies are growing up and childhood is a fast-receding memory. I think I'm gonna cry.

Rachel Jane
10-26-2012, 05:58 PM
Go ahead and cry.
:hcry: :sad: :hcry: :sad: :hcry: < this is how it feels.

10-26-2012, 06:34 PM
It comes so fast! :group::group::group: Mine are one right after another, and it's a constant roller coaster of emotions around here (mostly me!).

We understand!!:group::group:

Becky in CA
10-26-2012, 07:13 PM

Gitel in nj
10-26-2012, 07:47 PM
Oh Rebe, :group: To bad you don't live closer we could have a cup of tea while we laughed and cried. My boy is just about finished with his first college application--for a school COMPLETELY across the country. :sad:

Heather (WI)
10-26-2012, 09:53 PM
Oh Rebe! I totally know how you feel!! :group: :hcry:

Our dd turned 15yo last month, and I'm starting research on driver's ed courses in our area, and requesting information from a possible college choice. I often get that sad pang when thinking about all the things that are already done.

You're right--we just brought home these little newborns yesterday! What happened?!

I wanna tell all the younger moms not to blink, because they grow up before you know it!

10-27-2012, 09:36 AM
I can relate, except it's my BABY that is 16 and growing up! It was hard with my oldest and middle sons, but extremely hard with my baby. :sad: He has always been such a good boy and easy to raise. I am already getting sad that he will be gone and we will have an empty nest in a couple years. He is driving everywhere, and we also just went to a huge college fair a couple weeks ago. I always have a hard time understanding other parents who can't wait for their kids to graduate and move out so they can have their freedom. That's just not me at all, and I will be soooo sad!!! :sad:

Gwen in Texas
10-27-2012, 10:01 PM
Yup, you came to the right place. :group::group::group: My youngest is turning 14 tomorrow. I still cannot believe it. And I feel inordinately happy that Nate has agreed to consider this his freshman year in high school to allow him more time academically and more years on his fabulous homeschool football team. I bought an extra year! :hi: <------That's me fist pumping.

10-29-2012, 08:22 AM

I've got my second DD about to start dual-enrollment classes at the local community college and prepping to test for her learner's permit in January.

I got a little reprieve on DD18 as she is attending community college and still living at home, but still... she's an adult!

It does go too fast. Thankful to still have two more in the childhood stage, although DS11 is all too close to being a teen!

Cindy in CA
10-29-2012, 08:46 AM

Nedra in California
10-29-2012, 09:49 AM
Ah, yes. I understand. :group:

I have two grown and "gone." Gone means different things for these two. My oldest is 22 and has been married for 3 years but is still here often. She wants to go where we go, and loves helping school the twins and taking field trips with us. She lives about 10 minutes away and has stayed very close.

My second is a son. He is 18. He still lives at home, works full time, but is more "gone" than my daughter. He is very much living his own life, though we have always been very close.

I have been polling other moms with grown kids and there seems to be a big difference regarding daughters and sons. Almost all have told me their daughters stayed more connected and their sons had more of a desire to "strike out on their own."

I only have daughters left (3) so I guess time will tell.

Adult children are a beautiful gift.

10-30-2012, 08:47 AM
Thanks for all the hugs. :) I knew you all would understand!

Amanda Williams
10-30-2012, 11:12 PM
Wow, this thread is intense! Thank you for sharing. :group::D:hi:

My oldest is only 9, but my husband goes for a vasectomy on Thursday and the being done with babies makes me feel like we are begging for an empty nest.
Time goes by sooo quickly. I am trying to cherish the long (short!) days with these little people!

11-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Go ahead and cry.
:hcry: :sad: :hcry: :sad: :hcry: < this is how it feels.

:yes: do, it really does make you feel better. I'm right there with you!:group:

11-13-2012, 04:38 PM
So I come here to commiserate with other moms whose babies are growing up and childhood is a fast-receding memory. I think I'm gonna cry.

In agreement that you should cry. I was sad last year (oldest dd's last year home before college) but I tried really hard to ignore it and just enjoy that time that we had together. Well, it's November and...CONFESSION FOLLOWS...my heart is still hurting. I miss my daughter, my best friend and extra driver. It's weird not really KNOWING the details of her life. How serious is the boyfriend situation, how well is the new roommate situation progressing, how are her grades, who are her friends...???? We talk ...A LOT....we text...A LOT. I've learned not to give advice until she asks for it and (more importantly), not to say "You need to ___" Thus far, my level headed daughter seems to be doing well but..it's NOT the same. I miss her hugs...I even (almost) miss her messy room. This is good. I know it is. She's becoming more of an adult and..I'm really proud of how she's handled some very difficult situations. Yet, I miss having five girls home. And..that's the bottom line for me apparently. I like having all of my babies together. I like having them laughing together, and giggling together. Family Weekend was awesome! All seven of us driving together, eating together, laughing together..My husband told me that I kept saying "I feel happy."In truth...one less person is much less..everything. It's easier in some ways. The other girls are close together in age (13, 11, 10,8) and that is easier for many reasons. I have more alone time with dh at night and that's really nice. There are nice things. The house is very quiet though. In retrospect...I wish that I had grieved a little bit last year because..it is a GIANT transition. It's easier now...I feel more peaceful. AND..it's feeling more..normal. But..this is certainly a journey. Be gentle with yourself.

01-05-2013, 04:05 PM
This is such a sweet thread. I can remember so vividly being so overwhelmed with my first - not that that has changed; ). And now he is about to turn 16! But in truth the journey continues to be a blessing. I am growing so much as he grows and I am grateful for that gift.

01-17-2013, 11:48 AM
Gulp ypu ladies got me crying. My kiddies are gowing up too., dd19 got into uni (your college) ds 16 two more years left of homeschooling
It has gone very fast.
We have been going through fiar books this week choosing what books to sell on bookshelf (in a minimalist phase) and soo many memories have been returning. and I've had tears often must be menopause aye..
Love Leanne