PDA

View Full Version : Using FIAR w/ older children

Nan in SouthTX
05-19-2007, 08:59 PM
I copied this from my "happy dance" post because I'm so excited about using FIAR next year that I want to make sure you see this message!! Actually, we're going to start FIAR in June to help Thomas, who has Down Syndrome, transition back to homeschool. Our "school work" won't start 'til the end of August.
Here's my post:

I'm in awe at how eager William & I are to get back to FIAR.
I can't believe it's been 5 years since we were full-time "rowers". Back then I remember reading posts to & from moms with "older" children who were rowing along with their FIAR-age siblings. I learned that, with some creativity, they could all use FIAR. Now I'm at that stage in an odd sort of way. We're using FIAR as the "spine" of our curriculum because of our older son's needs, not our younger. Also, many of the language activities will be a great fit for our 11 yo who needs extra confidence in the area of written composition.

I'd like to hear from those of you who've "rowed" an older child with FIAR instead of Beyond. (I'm thinking of the 11 year old. Our older guy is developmentally "FIAR age".) ;) If there's a similar post on this board, please link me to it. I had already bought most of our curriculum for next year before deciding to use FIAR, but FIAR will tie everything together for us and hopefully make life (and school planning) simpler!

Smiles,
Nan

Lisalyn
05-20-2007, 11:37 AM
Nan,

Back when Sam was William's age, I had emailed Jane about using FIAR with an older student. At the time, I was planning to slowly work her into Beyond that year. She struggled with writing/comp and I really didn't think she was ready for Beyond. (She has dyslexia/discalculia.)

Jane wrote me back suggesting we start the year rowing about 5 FIAR books with both Sam and Jack, adding extra Science and History for Sam. Also, she suggested boosting the content of the Lang. Arts by writing sentences regarding the LA topic or paragraphs where the topic suggested sentences, etc. Then she went on to blend Beyond in as a bedtime read-aloud, having Sam do those lessons during the following day while Jack did FIAR.

It was great advice and I still have the copied email somewhere. I think I have given the details pretty close here, since I tend to read it every year!

I hope this helps give you some ideas as you begin your plans for the new school year.

Oney
05-20-2007, 12:45 PM
Jane wrote me back suggesting we start the year rowing about 5 FIAR books with both Sam and Jack, adding extra Science and History for Sam. Also, she suggested boosting the content of the Lang. Arts by writing sentences regarding the LA topic or paragraphs where the topic suggested sentences, etc. Then she went on to blend Beyond in as a bedtime read-aloud, having Sam do those lessons during the following day while Jack did FIAR.

Oh how neat. This is basically what we've been doing and I didn't even know Jane suggested it for you. It's worked out wonderfully for us. We did rown The Boxcar Children and George Washington Carver with great results too.

LindainOK
05-20-2007, 01:26 PM
Nan, I hope to encourage you to do what works best and simplest for your family's challenges. We're rowing FIAR with a 9yr old, an 8yr (only been in US since last July and new to English) and we also have a new girl, 12yr, who's been here only 3wks, no English and never been to school, she is learning to associate numerals with quantities! So we've got 3/4th gr, 1st gr and Preschool.

To keep my sanity, and because I am very new to FIAR, I decided to keep all in the same program. I've simply added math, grammar/writing and history for our 9yr old and let her "free" read whatever she wants. The reason I added a history was to train her how to read for info and answer questions. Then occasionally we "fluff" up what ever she's reading about and turn it into a project for all. The 9 & 8 yr olds read aloud to me each day. I plan to continue this plan into next year because of added challenges with the new girl.

Without FIAR this year, I honestly don't think we would have progressed as we have. It's been a tough year and now we have added medical appts for the new girl. FIAR is the stabilizing factor in our school--I know that I can read a book and let the kids have fun accomplishing some learning projects. And believe me, this crowd is paper-craftaholics! They are so proud of their lapbooks which we display in a Carson Dellarosa wall hanger (http://www.carsondellosa.com/cd2/Products/ProductView.aspx?id=5653&keyword=pocket+charts&page=7&oid=3457).

Lisalyn
05-20-2007, 03:02 PM
After reading Linda's post, I just wanted to add that I see no reason to hurry William along into Beyond. I think the supplementing that Jane recommended for us is great all by itself. When we did this, we ended up doing FIAR this way for a lot longer than Jane suggested before jumping over into Beyond.

I totally agree with the thoughts Linda expressed regarding your family dynamics. :)

LindainOK
05-20-2007, 03:25 PM
Then she went on to blend Beyond in as a bedtime read-aloud, having Sam do those lessons during the following day while Jack did FIAR.

It's amazing how God allows someone to suggest an easy way to do something & then for me to hear later, just when I need the idea! Maybe, after next Christmas, I will try this to ease Cora (our 9yo) into the Beyond.

Nan in SouthTX
05-20-2007, 05:10 PM
Thank you all so much! These are the kinds of things I needed to hear.
;)
Blessings,
Nan

Sue in MN
05-21-2007, 01:03 AM
I'm going to be rowing this year with my dd12 who will be in 7th grade. We are doing it because she wants to be a writer so we will study these books and branch off into writing our own. She does have other science and social studies so we will be covering grade appropriate stuff too. I remember years ago hearing Jane say that you could do a college level class on FIAR so I am really looking forward to this next year.

I will also be rowing with my 4yo granddaughter on days that she is here. I think we might begin the year with some B4FIAR and then move up.

karendg
05-21-2007, 07:26 AM
Nan,

Have you listened to Steve's tape on teaching multiple ages (the older tape not the newer mp3s) He discusses how to do this.

I am going to have 3 in FIAR (though 2 of them I'll probably use before with as well) and 2 doing BYFIAR next year.

Nan in SouthTX
05-22-2007, 03:10 PM
Hi! :hi:
Remember I said I'd already bought most of our curriculum for next year before deciding to do FIAR? Well, just for funsies, I'll share with you what William's doing. I think we can easily tie it in with our FIAR books.

William:
Rod & Staff Math 6
Writing Strands 3
Reading Strands
Science--We've been moseying through Considering God's Creation for a
while, plus I bought each boy a science worktext from Sam's Club.
This should provide the visuals and hands-on for our FIAR science.
We'll pick lessons from the science books that match our rowing.
History-- Switched-On Schoolhouse Hist./Geog. 6 (William's request)
Also, we got Drive through History America from HSLDA, and
William wants to use it this school year. ;)
Art--Artpac 6
Health-- SOS HealthQuest (William's request)

Thomas loves reading about states and presidents, so each boy will make his own notebook of states as we row. They'll also keep FIAR notebooks.

Karen, I haven't listened to that tape, but I ordered it last week! :)

Thanks, everyone, for your input!
Nan