PDA

View Full Version : Fish oil/ vitamin supplements?

AmyinWI
11-04-2012, 07:15 PM
2 of my younger ones were diagnosed (recently )with ADD and ADHD. A recommendation before starting medications was to try some supplements. I am confused by all the infomation I am reading online.
Does anyone know of a reputable site to recommend? I am specifically looking at giving them omega 3 fish oil supplements and any other vitamins that might be helpful. Any idea what doseage to give for ADHD?
I also read something about lecithin for learning disabilities/memory... but I don't know much about that either.

Is fish oil horrible to take in liquid form? I have 2 bottles of liquid here that I ordered awhile ago-it says it's orange flavored, but I'm not sure if it's enough to hide that taste. :p

ShelleyW
11-04-2012, 08:01 PM
I know for fish oil that you need 500mg of DHA for kids w/ADD or ADHD to make a difference. My kids prefer the liquid to swallowing the pills. I buy the lemon and strawberry flavored ones. If you go the pill route it can be up to 8 a day for 500mg of DHA. With the liquid it is 1 spoonful.

I went to Dianne Craft's seminar this weekend and I highly recommend her website. She has a CD called the Biology of Behavior that is excellent at telling you what supplements are for what and how to take them and when. I learned so much from the seminar but have not finished the CDs yet to know all of the supplements and details. I was using the info from her website to give my kids supplements but I got some of it wrong so I will be listening to the CDs to figure it out.

The fish oil makes a HUGE difference in my son's ability to focus in school. If he has missed a dose, I can tell.

Shannon P
11-04-2012, 09:45 PM
Coromega makes creamy orange flavored fish oil in packets that is quite palatable. It reminds me of an Orange Julius.

Nordic Naturals makes strawberry and peach flavored liquids that hide pretty well in yogurt.

Best practice with fish oil is to buy in small quantities because it starts to smell funny quickly,:p and keep it in the freezer.

Lisalyn
11-05-2012, 11:29 AM
We use Coromega, too. My boys also take Super Nu Thera multi-vitamins from Kirkman Labs. I have asked questions regarding product recommendations and dosage for Autism via their FB page. They have great customer service. They offer trial sizes for about 5.00 plus shipping.

I think they also sell the Coromega fish oil and possibly the Nordic Naturals. Our Walgreens carries Coromega so I usually just pick that up locally.

Tiffany
11-05-2012, 02:05 PM
We use Carlson for Kids DHA soft gels. You could always try the liquid you have to see what it tastes like. :) Maybe if it's not so bad to take, but leaves an after-taste, your child could eat somethings sour after to get rid of the taste, like a sour gummy bear or suck on a vitamin c lozenge.

A book I read that helped me start to understand how supplements and nutrition can help heal the body is Kenneth Healing the New Childhood Epidemics: Autism, ADHD, Asthma, and Allergies. It is easy to read and understand and full of great helpful information.

Alice R
11-06-2012, 07:26 PM
Just popping in..

Jaqueline Sturdy has a book on some oil supplements...it's too far back in my mind to remember what exactly but I did read it and it was Omega something?

Jodi B
12-11-2012, 08:14 AM
Thank you for this info -- I will check out these resources. :group:

ETA: Here are the two books mentioned --

Healing the New Childhood Epidemics: Autism, ADHD, Asthma, and Allergies: The Groundbreaking Program for the 4-A Disorders (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0345494512/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1F9FMX5SCXV4GDTRB54G&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846) by Kenneth Bock

The LCP Solution: The Remarkable Nutritional Treatment for ADHD, Dyslexia, and Dyspraxia (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0345438728/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1F9FMX5SCXV4GDTRB54G&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846) by Jacqueline Stordy

Tiffany
12-11-2012, 08:21 PM
Amy,
Your picture is beautiful!
I was just thinking that Dianne Craft has a program with supplements. She has a cd set that you follow. She's very knowledgeable about special needs and nutrition. Maybe her program would be of help to you.