PDA

View Full Version : Psychiatrist

Amy Joy
11-07-2012, 01:31 PM
So my daughters councillor suggest that we get a psychiatrist appointment for my daughter. She is already getting an Ed-psych done through the public school. She does struggle in school, and lately has been 'sad for no reason'. She also can't remember to do things like wear her glasses, know where her glasses are, finish long term assignments, (sometimes even daily ones), brush her teeth. She doesn't sleep well either. Last night she was up til 1am. She just turned 12.
I guess I don't know a what point it matters that we get 'diagnosed', if there is one or whether we just keep going on as we have. Is there value in having an official evaluation done? My dh is also worried that I she says, Yes my parents used to spank me, that child services could be called.
What affected your choices to get an evaluation done? Thanks.

Laura F
11-07-2012, 08:43 PM
You've got a lot going on here. The ed-psych evaluation is typically done by a psychologist, who administers/oversees testing and then makes a diagnosis for a learning disability or condition that affects learning. A psychiatrist evaluates and treats mental conditions such as anxiety or depression; s/he prescribes meds and may offer counseling or send you to someone else (!) for counseling therapy. So... yes, there is great value in getting the testing done. The label itself doesn't change anything about your dd, but it may be very helpful in a school setting or when she's taking standardized tests. If your dd also needs medication for the short or long-term, then you need the psych, too, since school personnel and psychologists cannot prescribe anything. Does that help?

BTW, no one has ever asked our oldest dd if we spanked her. We've taken her to all of the above at different points, and most of the conversations have been between me and the professional. The exceptions have been when she's had testing and when she briefly saw a Christian counselor.

I'm concerned about your dd's problems. They sound a lot like depression and/or anxiety, and it's really hard as an adult to struggle with them. It's even harder for a child who doesn't have the coping skills or tools to understand what's happening. :group:

Amy Joy
11-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Laura,
Thank you so much for clarifiying what different people do. I am getting a little overwhelmed. Depression/Anxiety run in my side of the family (my mom, sister and brother) but I've never had to deal with it personally. It is very hard to see my daughter going through this.
She is better in some ways since we started homeschooling again 2 years ago (2 years of public school before that and homeschooling before that), but in other things I notice more "different" things about her.
She was in councelling until summer when she went on a missions trip and the councillor thought she was doing well so it stopped. However, it's gotten worse again. She will see the councilor next week, but then the councillor goes on maternity leave. :(
I think we will see the doctor about getting the psychiatrist evaluation. It makes a lot more sense having you write out the differences for me.
Thank you so much.

Tiffany
11-07-2012, 10:18 PM
:group: I am sorry your dd is struggling.

My two special needs kiddos will forget everything/are easily side-tracked unless they have everything spelled out for them and broken down into easy steps. And they still need frequent reminders.

A neuropsychologist can administer an extensive battery of neuropsych. testing. It will give you a lot of specific information as far as academic-type functioning. It was not completely helpful for us as far as giving us definite diagnoses but it did give some good detailed information into how my boys' minds function and what they needed support for. It might be more helpful in that regard for you. It was very difficult for us to find one that accepted our insurance but we finally did. Many do not accept insurance.

All the child psychiatrists that I know of only prescribe and monitor meds. They do not counsel. They will also give diagnosis (and it may be different than the one/s you get from the neuropsych).

Spanking is not illegal (yet, at least I don't think so, I know different states have different laws) so I don't think you need to worry about that.

I hope that you find the answers you need to help your girl. :group:

Laura F
11-08-2012, 07:53 AM
Amy Joy, :group: