PDA

View Full Version : I Kissed Dating Goodbye

Cindy in CA
11-08-2012, 11:41 AM
I just started reading this book. I am curious at what age you handed it over to your teen? I will definitely read it all first. I remember talk about this book a few years ago and it was too soon for us, but now my oldest is almost 15. :eek:

I would love to hear your opinions on the book, when you had your kids read it, and anything else you care to share.

Thanks, friends!

:)

Susan Seaman
11-08-2012, 12:06 PM
My kids all read it somewhere around 15 (the youngest hadn't read it yet). All enjoyed it, and I think it influenced them to delay dating. I know some find the book controversial, but I think it is written as one guy's story - he's not commanding that everyone do it his way. I think he writes with a lot of grace.

The follow-up book (Boy Meets Girl) is also very good, but only my oldest has read that one.

WendyW
11-08-2012, 03:46 PM
Both my oldest probably read it around 14 or 15. Around the same time they also read "I Gave Dating a Chance", which offers a different viewpoint. I wanted them to know the various viewpoints out there, and to have info to make their own choices. While we as parents would never push for a hardcore courtship model, we know plenty of families who might, and I at least wanted my kids to be aware and respectful of that option.

Marcia
11-13-2012, 04:03 PM
Both my oldest probably read it around 14 or 15. Around the same time they also read "I Gave Dating a Chance", which offers a different viewpoint. I wanted them to know the various viewpoints out there, and to have info to make their own choices. While we as parents would never push for a hardcore courtship model, we know plenty of families who might, and I at least wanted my kids to be aware and respectful of that option.

I like this, Wendy.

I read I Kissed Dating Goodbye, and I did ask my two older teens at the time (I think they were both about 16 ) if they would be interested in reading it, and they both said, "No." I think it's a good book, but it really wasn't for our family. We did talk about the content of the book, and there is a lot of good stuff in it. It's a good tool to open up discussion and figure out what is right for your family.