PDA

View Full Version : Making transcripts "official"

Vicki P in VA
11-13-2012, 10:16 PM
I'm hoping some of you ladies with older kids can help me here...

My Goddaughter is finalizing her common college application (due 11/15!!), and her mom is finishing up the transcripts. She is trying to decide if she needs to get it notarized or not. Any thoughts? My kids are in K and Pre-K, so I have no clue!

WendyW
11-14-2012, 12:07 AM
I know that paper copies from schools are supposed to be "official" with some kind of school stamp on them. Notarization is probably the simplest way to assure the school that it did come from the parent, not a cheating student.

However, my son is going to a small private college. I had met with the admissions person myself when we toured the school, had corresponded with her by e-mail several times, and when we got to the point of sending in the transcript, I just e-mailed it.

Heather (WI)
11-14-2012, 12:28 AM
I know that paper copies from schools are supposed to be "official" with some kind of school stamp on them. Notarization is probably the simplest way to assure the school that it did come from the parent, not a cheating student.

However, my son is going to a small private college. I had met with the admissions person myself when we toured the school, had corresponded with her by e-mail several times, and when we got to the point of sending in the transcript, I just e-mailed it.

This is a great question, as I am just working on our dd's high school transcript now. I would also like to hear from others, since I hadn't thought about notarizing.

Our dd is also planning to go to a small, private college, and they did not mention anything about the transcript having to be notarized.

CINDY LB OH
11-14-2012, 07:34 AM
Both my daughters are in college, both at smaller, private universities, and neither of them asked for it to be notorized. They didn't have any special requests at all, just "a transcript".

I used an example transcript from the HSLDA website and it was accepted by both with just mine and my dh's signatures.

It seems the larger state universities are more demanding in what they require from homeschool students, so I would check with each one that she will be applying to regarding their requirements. I'm not really sure how the common application works since we applied directly to the ones they were interested in.

Vicki P in VA
11-15-2012, 11:44 PM
Thank you for the replies! They ended up opting for not notarizing, because that seemed to be the main consensus I was getting from various lines of inquiry. I appreciate the feedback!