PDA

View Full Version : Re-rowing

DeniseR
05-20-2007, 07:44 AM
For those of you that re-row, how long did you wait to do a book a second time? Did you re-row in the same order that you rowed the first time?

I did Vol 1 this past year using the "whatever book is available" method but, now that I also has Vol. 2 and 3 sitting in front of me, I'm thinking that maybe I should put a little thought into this:lol:

Tamie_in_MI
05-20-2007, 07:52 AM
When I had ROWed nearly all the books in Vols 1-3, I then began re-ROWing. I allowed my daughter to choose the books since she knew the names and about the stories.

We are still re-ROWing though I've lost track of where I'm at. I do make lesson plans but I have not been putting them into the computer as I did the first time. I was able to look at what books we ROWed. I do not know how many more or anything. I actually discovered that we ROWed and reROWed Peter Rabbit and nearly re-ROWed it again (that would be OK with me but I'd like to re-ROW before we re-re-ROW. LOL

I am doing an occassional Vol 4 book for the first time as we re-ROW Vols 1-3. That way, when we are ready to re-ROW 4s books, they will not have been "just done". We just ROWed Arabella. It's a GREAT BOOK BTW.

Tamara D
05-20-2007, 07:59 AM
We rowed all the books in Volumes 1-3 before going back to re-row, with the exceptioin of Cranberry Thanksgiving which we do every November. I did them in a random order when I was rerowing, choosing books I thought we would enjoy, ones we could get, ones it seemed like ages since we'd done. Just whatever sounded good. How's that for a system??:)

DeniseR
05-20-2007, 08:30 AM
Juat a clarification - I will row all the books before re-rowing. But we only did Vol. 1 this past year and I am going to get a bit more serious and will be doing Vol 2 and at least part of Vol. 3 this next year (or maybe I will pull from both). When I finally get back around to say Night of the Moonjellies (our very first book), it will have been at over two years since we had done it. But it will be closer to a year or a bit over between rowing with books in Vol 2 and 3. Is that too soon?

Victoria
05-20-2007, 09:05 AM
I'm currently thinking about what to do for next year. I'm thinking about rowing each book for a week strickly by the manual only, and then taking the next week, and going of on learning tangents, and all the extra stuff and books I can find relating to all of the topics presented in that particular book. How any of you done this?

Anyway I have a kindergartner and was wondering which titles would be better suited for HIS age. I know interests vary, but which books are more easily comprehended by a five year old, as opposed to ones I can wait till later to row. Thanks so much.:)

MarieD
05-21-2007, 09:45 AM
I generally put a year (or nearly a year) between the first row and re-row. It looked something like this:

1st year dd was 4yo, and we rowed 15 titles, doing only the activities that would be on her level w/o being overwhelming.

2nd year dd was 5yo, and we rowed 27 titles (all new) doing many more activities.

3rd year dd was 6yo, and we rowed the remaining 13 new titles (doing all of the listed activities) with the 15 from 1st year interspersed, and towards the 2nd semester we also added in some of the early titles of the year, rowing a total of 39 titles.

I was pleasantly surprised that some of the first year (15) books were new to my dd in that 3rd year. She remembered some of the things she had learned (like onomatopoeia) and types of clouds, but had forgotten the story of Storm in the night. She loved hearing it again, because it was new. I found this very interesting . . . it was the same with several other stories. Anotehr example: Grandfather's Journey: she remembered the things we learned about Japan, and where it is on the map, but didn't remember the story. So we were able to go much deeper and it never felt like we were just "redoing" something we had already done. And yes, that first year we did read each title for 5 days in a row, but I felt that she didn't need a strict schedule for schooling ( I didn't have B4 at that time either) so we would do other learning activities that often had to do with our previously read FIAR title, before starting another one. KWIM?

There are a few books that we rowed 3 times, but the third time my dd was well aware of the story and was begging to row it again to search for more things to learn. On those that we rowed the third time, my dd learned a lot about doing her own research (ie: how to find whatever interestes her in the nonfiction section of the library, and choosing which go-alongs she wanted to check out.)

Charity White
05-21-2007, 10:28 AM
I'm currently thinking about what to do for next year. I'm thinking about rowing each book for a week strickly by the manual only, and then taking the next week, and going of on learning tangents, and all the extra stuff and books I can find relating to all of the topics presented in that particular book. How any of you done this?

Anyway I have a kindergartner and was wondering which titles would be better suited for HIS age. I know interests vary, but which books are more easily comprehended by a five year old, as opposed to ones I can wait till later to row. Thanks so much.:)

Victoria - sounds like you needed to start a new thread! :D

You can row any way you wish! Does that help? ;) Your idea sounds fine. The only thing I'd suggest is to Row strictly by the manual and then see if there are any tangents that your son wants to take off on. There may be many, there may be none depending on the book and your son's level of interest in any one subject. He's only 5 and you'll have time to go back and re-row, delving more deeply into subjects as he ages. Not to mention that several lessons are hit upon in different books, so there is already that repetition.

Jane and Steve always say that it's better to have little tastes of info and then take more as the flavor appeals. If it doesn't, wait and try again later, giving a bit more info and sometimes a taste is developed (making the info more memorable and meaningful to the learner). This is a better method than trying to exhaust every topic you come into contact with the first time it's presented. The only thing that truly gets exhausted with that method is the learner and the teacher! :lol: I hope this makes sense!

As for which books to row, I'm sure that the ladies here will be glad to help! However, the best method is to read as many of the books as you can yourself (spend a quiet Saturday afternoon in the library or book store reading as many as you can get your hands on!) and decide which you think will appeal to your son or be "on his level". Just reading through the lesson plans can also be really helpful in your decision-making. Of course, you will find that there will be many surprises as you row along! Books you don't think will be a big hit will be favorites and vice versa!

Keep asking questions as you figure out how this all will work for you and your student!

Blesssings! :hi:

Angela Paige
05-21-2007, 12:09 PM
I've only re-rowed a small number of books (like 3 or 4), but we have yet to make it through all the books in Vol 1-3 the first time. The shortest amount of time we put between re-rows was 6 months. The longest time between re-rows was about a year and half. Next school year, we will complete all the books in Vol. 1-3, as well as add in a few more re-rows.

Usually I re-row because of a season or event, like we re-rowed Cranberry Thanksgiving this past Thanksgiving and perhaps it will become tradition to lightly row it every thanksgiving since we've done it the past two years.

I also chose to re-row All Those Secrets of the World in Jan, which was just prior to my dh's deployment. We'd already rowed a year and a half earlier when our family moved to Newport News, VA (the setting for that particular story). It just seemed like the right book to row for each of those events, KWIM?

I never row in order. I'm more of the kind of person who picks a book based on current interests/activities/season. And if I can't choose one that way, then I wake up on Monday morning and see what appeals to me. :lol: So in that light, it probably doesn't surprise anyone that I'd begin re-rowing before rowing all the books one time through.

You'll figure out what style works for you.
Paige