PDA

View Full Version : setting goals for a special needs child?

AmyinWI
11-14-2012, 09:43 PM
I am withdrawing my 5 1/2 yo (special needs) from his public school program in December. I recently joined HSLDA and followed their guidelines for withdrawing him.

In reviewing our state's guidelines for homeschooling... it says I agree to " provide a sequentially progressive curriculm of fundamental instruction in reading, language arts, mathmatics, etc. etc. "

My son is completely non-verbal and at this point he shows no interest or understanding of academics. We are focusing on life skills and just being able to sit in a chair for more than 30 seconds....:unsure:
Any suggestions on how I can properly set goals for him,and how will this meet our state's requirements?

AmyinWI
11-14-2012, 09:47 PM
I should add... I know he is not legally required to be enrolled as a homeschooler until age 6. Just trying to get my ducks in a row before then.

Esther-Alabama
11-15-2012, 12:10 AM
I think you will need to do an IEP for him. At the beginning of the IEP, you will state (and provide documentation of) his diagnosis, any testing showing his level of cognition, and his approximate grade level (maybe an age level). Then you may set goals based on HIM.

You will work on communication techniques...he will use 2-5 basic PEC cards appropriately.

Following directions- he will give you one item when asked or two items when asked would be advanced, but maybe he will sit where've is told or retrieve an item for you when asked.

Math would be learning a shape. Matching circle shapes consistently.

Other preschool skills, like identifying colors, cutting with scissors, holding a pencil and tracing will come later.

You can also use basic life skills for his IEP. Helping to dress himself, telling you when he needs changing, assisting in brushing his hair or teeth, etc...

I might also list things like sitting for the reading of a book as a goal or doing a simple peg puzzle with help.

Does this help at all?

I did an IEP for my dyslexic son for several years when he was stalled at reading and spelling. I did not do one this year and I foundering a bit because of it.

Lisalyn
11-15-2012, 09:59 AM
Amy,

We will be updating Eli's IEP at the end of this month. I'll be glad to tell you what goals we add. I will pull out his current IEP, probably within the next week, so I can prepare for his meeting. I can send you those, too.

Send me a reminder if I forget. :blush:

AmyinWI
11-15-2012, 07:32 PM
ok, I guess I wasn't thinking of IEPs being for homeschooling. :unsure:

G does have an IEP from his school.. so I could just take that and rewrite it for our homeschool?
Anyone have a certain form they use?

Lisalyn
11-16-2012, 11:54 AM
Amy,

I hadn't thought about an IEP for homeschooling, either.

Definitely keeping this thought for the future, just in case...

Alice R
11-18-2012, 07:23 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Goal-Mine-Learning-Objectives-Exceptional/dp/0941457222/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1353284377&sr=1-1&keywords=the+goal+mine

this book would be helpful for IEP writing. It might be a be too high functioning in some parts...not really sure. It is a good book though. Gives skills in a hierarchy which is a good thing. ;)

I see it is out of print or something. There are a few suggestions on other books.

I'd peruse a live bookstore first and then order an IEP help book. Some of them are pretty bad.

Jenene
11-30-2012, 11:11 PM
is there a place to download a form for IEPs?

Tiffany
12-01-2012, 08:18 AM
Amy, I have some thoughts but not much time. I can write more later. If you think about it, all of our homeschool students have IEP's... Individualized Educational Programs. We completely individualize all of our childrens' educations. For you, writing out a specific IEP tailored to your state's educational requirements could help to keep you on track and feel confident that you are meeting requirements for your G if you are ever questioned. What are the listed areas of instruction that you must provide (you said reading, math and language arts- what other subjects?). What goals are in his current IEP at school in these subjects? :group:

Lisalyn
12-01-2012, 10:45 AM
Tiffany,
That makes perfect sense. :)

Amy, I have Eli's new IEP. We wrote the IEP for the remainder of Kindergarten and will go back to amend it when he starts first grade. Most of his goals are speech/language based since that is his weak area. He does have OT/PT goals and a list of accommodations.

Alice R
12-02-2012, 10:30 PM
Here in the NY/NJ arrea, each county uses a different IEP form.

While the idea is the same, the format is not and you know how the state is about their forms. :eyes:

AmyinWI
12-03-2012, 08:47 PM
Amy, I have some thoughts but not much time. I can write more later. If you think about it, all of our homeschool students have IEP's... Individualized Educational Programs. We completely individualize all of our childrens' educations. For you, writing out a specific IEP tailored to your state's educational requirements could help to keep you on track and feel confident that you are meeting requirements for your G if you are ever questioned. What are the listed areas of instruction that you must provide (you said reading, math and language arts- what other subjects?). What goals are in his current IEP at school in these subjects? :group:

just from memory, the state requires ( paraphrased) "a sequentially progressive program including instruction in math, reading, language arts, science, social studies and health". There might be something I'm forgetting.
I just don't know how I can incorporate goals for him to meet the above requirements.?? His current IEP goals have to do with requestion items using PECS, walking up stairs with assist, learning to pull up his pants, working on self feeding skills,etc. See what I mean?
He doesn't have an interest /ability in reading/science/social studies, etc. Ok, maybe looking at pictures of animals? Me reading a book to him, learning to count, shapes??
I guess I technically don't have to worry about it until next fall , just trying to wrap my mind around this.

Hollie in SC
12-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Amy, I'm going to PM you some from Noah's 6yo/K5 IEP to see if anything helps. :)

Christi in OH
12-04-2012, 07:38 AM
We don't have an IEP for Ronnie I just send the same style notification letter I did for Wheatley. Nothing about her having any special needs.

A good resource is Luke's Lifelong List and Luke's List Academics. I am not very good about setting goals or using anything like that for Ronnie. It is something I need to be more intentional about and actually make more real plans for her. She is not living up to her full potential right now. ;)

Alice R
12-09-2012, 08:01 PM
Amy,
At this stage you are doing "pre academics"

Sitting in a chair for 5 minutes is pre academic actually. It falls under attending skills etc.

Puzzles can be math.

Pre reading skills are so basic also...I can't think off the top of my head but basic stuff.

Pre writing is tracing sandpaper letters...

Really really basic...

I can pull IEPs for you if you need something for you to copy. I will try to find a few...

AmyinWI
12-09-2012, 08:59 PM
Thanks Alice. I went through Gabe's public school IEP and revised my own version for our homeschool.
Gabe's ABA therapist also just designed programs for him, with goals based off his school IEP,so I'll work off of that also. Some of them are very basic color matching (starting with 1 color), letter matching "A,B,C" only, simple puzzles.
I really don't need to do much with this until next summer. But at least I have a start.

He is officially out of school now and I didn't hear a thing from them. I was really expecting a battle. What a relief!

Tiffany
12-12-2012, 07:40 PM
Amy,
I was trying to send you a private message but I am not sure how to do that. I have a good friend who has an 8 year old dd who is nonverbal. She does not officially homeschool, but her daughter is on homebound instruction. I can give you the link to her blog which has some of the ideas they have used with Lilli. I know you already set goals based on the old IEP, but maybe it would help you with more ideas for G, or even just encouragement. She would be willing to talk to you more if you wanted to email her through her blog. Here's the link:
http://wherelilliblooms.blogspot.com/