PDA

View Full Version : Teaching Textbooks for special needs

Mary FL
11-27-2012, 11:01 AM
Does anyone use this? My son likes the computer program very much. I also bought the workbook, too. My dd is able to do both as she goes along with the computer. He is having difficulty. Should he do the workbook first, then the computer lesson? The reason I bought the workbook is in case the computer isn't around and also to give him practice writing numbers legibly.

Help!

TonyaP
11-27-2012, 11:04 AM
What's the specific area of difficulty? My DS is strong on concept but struggles with computation due to processing and attention issues.

Mary FL
11-27-2012, 11:08 AM
The math itself seems to be going okay. It's his frustration of trying to do the workbook in conjunction with the lesson on the computer. I know he's trying to get out of writing in the workbook.

Lisalyn
11-27-2012, 12:23 PM
Mary,

If we decide to bring 11yr old home for school next year, I plan to use TT with him. (He has ADHD, Asperger's, anxiety and takes seizure meds.) More than likely we will focus mostly on the computer work.

What I wanted to comment on, though, is that one of his IEP accommodations is to use the computer whenever physical writing causes stress. Does he abuse it because typing is easier/quicker/more fun? Yeah, I'm sure he does. :lol: The reduction of anxiety is worth it to me, though.

We just make sure he writes or draws when he is not in stressful situations.

Mary FL
11-27-2012, 12:46 PM
Thanks, Lisa. There's a lot of truth in what you said. Ds has those issues as well. Still not sure about Asperger's, although two professionals say "no." What a journey this has been!

TonyaP
11-27-2012, 01:44 PM
Oh... I don't even try to get lengthy writing out of DS. I want him to learn and he doesn't learn when he's fighting the handwriting. KWIM?

Lisalyn
11-27-2012, 01:54 PM
Oh... I don't even try to get lengthy writing out of DS. I want him to learn and he doesn't learn when he's fighting the handwriting. KWIM?

Exactly my thoughts. :)

Lisalyn
11-27-2012, 01:55 PM
Thanks, Lisa. There's a lot of truth in what you said. Ds has those issues as well. Still not sure about Asperger's, although two professionals say "no." What a journey this has been!

:group: :group: :group:

It *is* a journey. That's for sure.

Tiffany
11-27-2012, 09:57 PM
We are going through TT 4 with my 5th grader. We are going s-l-o-w. It didn't work last year as his only program. This year we are continuing with it but only using it once or twice a week. Going at that rate he isn't fighting it any more and I can see his confidence is building as he works through it in this way. It's not so overwhelming for him. He has a notebook (a composition book) that he uses to work out his problems as he needs to. I have him do everything on the computer otherwise. I don't have a need for the book and I didn't really understand why it came with the program.

Mary FL
11-28-2012, 02:43 PM
Taking a different approach today. Can always re-introduce the workbook later. Or not. :)

Thanks.

Lindsey Carter
11-28-2012, 10:56 PM
My son is dsylexic and a little dysgraphic. For him, I try to seperate out the difficult skills from the others. So when we do math, I often write the answers for him so that he can focus on just the math, not on the writing. For other subjects I read to him so he can focus on the content and not trying to read, etc. We do work on writing, even practing numbers, but we do that at a different time. Perhaps he could just do computer work or if you need more math practice you could write in the workbook for him. Then you can have him just practice writing numbers as a seperate activity.