PDA

View Full Version : FIAR titles for a Kindergartner?

Victoria
05-20-2007, 06:42 PM
What do you all like as far as FIAR books for a kindergartener? I know that interests vary, but which titles would be easier for a 5 year old to understand? Which ones are your faves? Thanks.:kiss:

Jen in SC
05-20-2007, 07:26 PM
Harold and the Purple Crayon
Mike Mulligan
Madeline
Ping
Make Way for Ducklings
Night of the Moonjellies
A Pair of Red Clogs
Truman's Aunt Farm

:)

Christie
05-20-2007, 07:38 PM
Little Nino's Pizzeria!

Paige P
05-20-2007, 08:06 PM
Mine also like Cranberry Thanksgiving and How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World (we then did Johnny Appleseed and Apples to Oregon from the homeschoolshare website the next week).

I think by paying attention to the boards and by reading the summaries in the volumes that you can get a good "feel" for what your children are capable of and what they may/may not be interested in. I know there are some things that I'd love to "rerow" in a few years when they can get more out of it, but until then, I pick the more simple activities/lessons. Thus far, we've enjoyed almost every book we've read (my girls weren't as keen on Mike Mulligan and Katy and the Big Snow -- it's the "machine" thing -- I know, though, that my son will LOVE those one day :) )

ami*
05-20-2007, 08:17 PM
Just wanted to add a small reminder-- don't be afraid to throw a few "hard" titles at your student. :)

My son turned 5 in October. We rowed Follow the Drinking Gourd in March (I think :lol:). He learned SO much! I couldn't believe it. It was our first discussion (ever) about slavery. He got it (and boy was he upset!). He can tell you about Harriet Tubman, the underground railroad, compound words, and so much more! He understands that they followed the North star (and which direction North is). We downloaded the song and learned it, too (every once in awhile I hear him singing it).

The week we rowed, we had cloudy skies. I never got to show him the real Drinking Gourd. But, about a week later, we were riding in the car. He gasped (seriously, he could barely speak!), "MOM! It's real! The drinking gourd is -- one, two, three, four, five, six...MOM! I see it!"

I almost cried :hcry:! I chose to do the book this year because I coordinate our co-op schedule, and I thought some of the older students would enjoy it. That's the *only* reason I chose it.

So, all that to say-- throw in a couple you aren't sure about! Ya never, never know!

ami*
05-20-2007, 08:25 PM
Oh, I suppose I should answer your question, too--

Books that have been loved, adored, read waaay more than five times since we rowed them:

Volume I
The Story About Ping
Night of the Moonjellies (he talked about invertebrates forever!)
Lentil
Madeline
Katy and the Big Snow

Volume II
Make Way for Ducklings
Ferdinand
Mr. Gumpy's Motor Car
Miss Rumphius
Little Red Lighthouse
The Tale of Peter Rabbit (my ds has taken a strong liking to Beatrix Potter! He listens to The Complete Tales on CD frequently. He told me the other day that when he grows up, he's taking The Complete Tales book with him so he can read it to his kids! :hcry:)

Haven't rowed Volume III yet, but we can't wait :hop:

Shauna
05-20-2007, 09:21 PM
We've rowed a variety of books from all 3 volumes for kindergarten this year, and I don't consider any FIAR titles to be beyond my 5-year-old's understanding or attention span. I skipped over a few of the literary discussions for the time being, but it's pretty easy to adapt the individual FIAR lessons to your child's level. Favorites in our home are How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World, Truman's Aunt Farm, Night of the Moonjellies, Madeline, The Bee Tree, and A Pair of Red Clogs.

Kendra AU
05-21-2007, 01:55 AM
We started FIAR when my eldest was just about 5 or just after he'd turned. It now escapes my mind as to which. My youngest was only 2.

We started with PING, which was a huge hit with everyone, including grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc.

How To Make An Apple Pie And See The World (which was a HUGE hit with my children.. this is one of the books we're eager to purchase just because we love reading it so much..)

Make Way For Ducklings

Mike Mulligan

Madeline (my three year old STILL asks us to read this book to him often, never mind that he can quote the silly thing himself!)

Peter Rabbit (both of them put on a skit using our PR puppets for their Aunt who happens to teach PS younger grades. She was in awe that our youngest could quote word for word the story. lol Little did she know that he had us reading the book daily for three months solid!)

Storm In The Night (we did this one for various reasons, but it was a great way to help the kids understand that storms aren't something to be terrified of. Coming from the tornado belt, that's kinda hard for them to grasp right now..)

Babar To Duet or Not To Duet (we're starting that one this week..)

Lentil (my kids were soooo sure Lemon's would be sweet because what do you make Lemonade out of? hehe)

Cranberry Thanksgiving

Gramma's Walk (they LOVED this book! I'm still working on obtaining a copy or two..)

Harold & The Purple Crayon (huge Harold fans here)

Mr Gumpy's Motor Car (my kids are sure it's really GRUMPY?!)

Mirette On The High Wire (the boys LOVED this book. My three year old keeps insisting this man in our neighborhood looks like Bellini. My six year old was tickled pink because we had the opportunity to walk on a real high wire (only a few feet off the ground, but...)

I also think that:

The Story of Ferdinand
Owl Moon
Katy & The Big Snow
Pumpkin Runner (we did this last fall, but didn't have the manual for it at the time..)
Duchess Bakes a Cake
Andy And The Lion
The Little Red Lighthouse And The Great Gray Bridge
Night Of The MoonJellies
Pair Of Red Clogs

And a handful more and then some. Honestly, the manuals are laid out with so many options in each subject that you can pick and choose what your child is ready for. There are things, I never thought my six year old would grasp, and he never fails to prove me wrong. What I least expect him to grab onto and run with he does! I'm eager for my copy of The Bee Tree to show up because we have a really neat-o field trip opportunity to go hand in hand with it.

Kendra

Jennifer in TX
05-21-2007, 06:39 AM
Here's the combined list I received when I asked this question a few months ago:

A New Coat for Anna
A Pair of Red Clogs
Andy and the Lion
Cranberry Thanksgiving
Down Down the Mountain
Ferdinand
Glorious Flight
Gramma's Walk
Henry the Castaway
How to make an Apple Pie and see the world
Katy and the Big Snow
Lentil
Little Nino's Pizzeria
Madeline
Make Way for Ducklings
Mike Mulligan
Mirette
Mr Gumpy's Motorcar
Mrs Katz and Tush
Peter Rabbit
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
The Duchess Bakes a Cake
The Little Red Lighthouse
The Salamander Room
The Story of Ping
Truman's Aunt Farm
When I Was Young in the Mountains

Victoria
05-21-2007, 06:55 AM
:kiss: Your lists have really helped. I think I'm going to use these lists, and row a week STRICKLY by the manual and then a week doing all of those educational tangents and creative ideas/fold and learns, etc.... Anyway, thanks again.