PDA

View Full Version : Sheri..notebooking questions

Christi in VA
05-20-2007, 09:05 PM
Hi!! I was just browsing your blog and wondered how many 'notebooks' each child has. Is there one FIAR, one for arts, one for....? Or is all this in one album? If so, how many do you purchase per year? And, what are your basic supplies/resources involved? I think you all are doing a great job on your notebooks!!

P.S. Did you get any aprons for Christmas last year?

Sheri
05-21-2007, 10:02 AM
LOL! NO I DID NOT GET ANY APRONS. I am still wearing my yellow one.

Each child has one notebook/scrapbook. I think it's easier than having to keep up with several. Once the notebook is full I will create an index for each book and print it out and put it in the front cover.

Basic supplies: The notebook (of course), we like to use Spray adhesive, another form of glue for heavier items, a printer (if you create the projects or buy them, for example the Fold 'n Learns translate great to notebooking), colored papers and your imagination! Have fun!

Sheri
05-21-2007, 10:03 AM
Oh, and this is still a fairly new idea for us, so we are learning as we go, but I am thinking one notebook (80 page book, so 80 layouts) should be enough for a year.

Christi in VA
05-21-2007, 11:46 AM
What size do you use and how many pages each? Also, do you keep any other type notebooks, for example a language arts--for other things like spelling, creative writings, etc..?

Sheri
05-21-2007, 12:34 PM
We are using a 10x10 notebook.

We don't do notebooks for other things, everything goes into the one notebook (per child). Sometimes I throw some spelling, vocabulary, handwriting samples into the notebook that week, just depends on how full the week was and the notebook pages are.

Oh, and we pretty much do one spread per week (So each FIAR book gets it's own two page spread (or I extend the pages if I need to), each BY book gets a 2 page spread per week...which winds up being 4-8 spreads, each holiday gets it's own two page spread, etc). And Art gets it's own two page spread.

Christi in VA
05-21-2007, 01:56 PM
Thanks sooo much, Sheri. This sounds like a happy medium that will work for us. I am not overly creative in the scrapbook dept, but I think my kiddos would get bored if some creative pursuits didn't appear . So, I think this is very doable for us. Anything else you'd like to throw in is great!!:):):)

Also, I am PM-ing you!

Paige P
05-21-2007, 02:11 PM
Sheri -- I checked out your blog earlier and enjoyed looking at the notebooks. I, too, think I'm going to try my/"our" hand at this next year :) Can I ask some more questions?

1) How often do you "do" art? I like the ideas of trying the different styles or mimicing the artists' painting. By the way, a great idea one of my friends did one time was when she taught Michaelangelo (sp?), she had paper taped to the bottom of chairs or a big table, so the kids could practice laying on their backs and painting (like the Sistine Chapel). Thought you might like to try that :D Do your art lessons tie in to FIAR or anything else you're studying, or are they a separate "unit?"

2) Do you do nature journals or anything with nature in your scrapbooks?

3) I did see Mystery of History in there. Do you do a page or two on that every week, as well?

I promise I'm not trying to replica you (completely, that is :lol: ), but I'm just trying to figure out how best to incorporate all that I want to do.

Thanks!

Sheri
05-21-2007, 03:32 PM
Paige, let's see if I get them all.

1.) Art is a new venture for us! I have tried for years to incorporate it but couldn't find what worked well for us. So this is how we are doing it. Our school week is planned so that Friday's are makeup days, anything we don't complete through the week gets completed on Friday's, which leaves time for a thorough art lesson. And Thanks for the Michelangelo idea! That's great!

2.)We don't do nature journals. We've certainly gone back and forth and tried to do them in the past, and I might incorporate them in next year. If I did I would probably go ahead and add that right into the notebook though.

3.) We don't always scrapbook MOH. In fact, I think we have only scrapbooked one MOH lesson (Creation). MOH has a lot of hands on activities, and I take photos. I hope to add them to the books more next year.

By the way, the scrapbook we are using has 80 pages, so you could do about 2 full 2 page spreads a week and just fill up the notebook. So there is certainly room for a lot more in them.