PDA

View Full Version : FIAR Co-Op... have YOU been in one?

Laura_Beth
05-20-2007, 08:26 PM
Friends and I are going to start planning a FIAR co-op!
I know somewhere around here there is a thread on this...

Do you have any suggestions on what would make this fun?
There will be around 5 or 6 children. I'm really looking forward to have others to share these amazing books and activities with!

~L

Mary FL
05-21-2007, 05:25 PM
Have you done a search? Tanya and I are hoping to start one here too. If you can't find the threads, let me know.

ami*
05-21-2007, 06:30 PM
:hi:

I'm in a FIAR Co-op. Next year will be our third year! :hop:

I think just about anything you do with FIAR will be fun! :D

Do you want specific ideas? (examples of what we have done for certain FIAR titles?)

We meet around 9:30
Sing a welcome song ("the more we get together")
Recognize birthdays -- sing "Happy Birthday"
Announcements
Read the book (we let the children bring books to follow along-- it works out really well :thumb:)
Educational Activity
Fun Activity
Dismiss

Then, the next Monday (or following Friday) we take a field trip related to the book. We meet (total -- books and field trips and next year we are adding Book Club/Gym Day) 4 times each month.

Let me know if I can answer any more questions! I would love to help!

annmarieseiler
05-22-2007, 07:53 AM
I am curious. I am interested in starting one next year. Are there any families that participate that don't do FIAR? Also, for activities, do you just pick a fun thing to do our are you actually trying to stick with a certain schedule of SS, Sci, Math, Art???????

ami*
05-22-2007, 08:56 AM
We have one family in our co-op who doesn't use FIAR, but still enjoys being a part of the co-op and reads the book throughout the week, but uses a FULL comprehensive curriculum already. We have a few who use FIAR + some other things (writing program, science or history program, etc.); we have a few who use FIAR exclusively.

Here are some examples of things we've done

Owl Moon
educational:
-learned about shadows
-kids took a tea cup outside and traced its shadow before co-op began.went out later
-after a lesson on shadows and the sun and traced the tea cup again to see how the sun had moved

fun:
-learned about owls (read parts of the Owl book by Gail Gibbons) their eyes, ears, talons, etc.
-measured to see how large the largest owl is and how small the smallest is. -made an owl craft out of paper plates.

field trip:
(campfire at night with hotdogs and smores!)
-we learned all about nocturnal creatures
-played games using our senses (one for smell, one for sight, one for touch, one for sound) to learn how nocturnal creatures make do at night
-learned an owl call (listened to others)
-went in search of an owl! Found a baby one in the nest (it was hard to see, but still very cool :thumb: )

Follow the Drinking Gourd
educational:
-learned terms: slavery, underground railroad, big dipper, drinking gourd
-discussed what the underground railroad really was (not a big train station underground! :lol:)
-colored maps with slave states (blue) and free states (red)
-stapled an overhead transparency over the top of the map and traced some underground railroad routes going NORTH

fun:
-played a game (in a gym) based on the underground railroad

Miss Rumphius
educational
-learned how seeds are spread
-played a seed matching game

fun
-painted terra cotta pots
-children were given seeds and told to plant them in their pots and give their pots away (to make the world more beautiful!)

So, sometimes the fun activities are just fun but sometimes they are educational, too...but always they help the kids get more excited about the book! :thumb:

Julie in AZ
05-22-2007, 09:05 AM
Julie Y, Ami (from AZ) and I have been part of a FIAR co-op for 2 years. Here's how we've worked it:

* Picked out books at beginning of semester
* Met 2X a month in the afternoon (this year) rotating homes
* Hostess teaches any lessons she'd like and lets the others know about 2 weeks ahead so we don't reproduce at home
* Hostess provides snack often related to theme
* This year, we celebrated birthdays with presents which the kids loved
* Kids play and moms visit after co-op

I love Ami*'s field trips. What great fun!

elkwise
05-24-2007, 12:56 AM
Here is a link to one of the previous discussions on co-ops. There were quite a few good ideas on it. I was in one last year and am going to be in another one this year. I posted our schedule and the parent handouts we made each week on the other thread. There is at last one more somewhere, but I can't find it.
http://www.fiarhq.com/~gbprnhrz/forum/showthread.php?t=8839&highlight=co-op

Erin

KarenP
05-24-2007, 09:58 AM
Here is some info I put together when I had a FIAR co-op in Texas.

http://www.fiarcircle.com/start.html

The photos we took of activities and lapbooks we did are still up on the site.

http://www.fiarcircle.com/

YoLanda
05-25-2007, 02:54 PM
those sound so neat. I wish there were one in my area. Any ideas on how to do that? Just yahoo groups?

Martha
05-25-2007, 05:57 PM
we will meet approx 3 hours once a week for 5 weeks.
We will be using How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World and a go along book 3 in 1: A Picture of God

Fall Co-op Itinerary
Session 1
15 minutes - begin with prayer and intro
read How to Make...

45 minutes - activity
discuss vocabulary & chronological order via narration and group games
humor in art paintings (recreate last picture in book and discuss the art) for cover of our memory books

15 minutes - transition to next activity ??

45 minutes - activity
read 3 in 1
seeds of faith pots - mini terra cotta pots, craft wire, clay, apple cut outs with labels of the fruits of the spirit on them
(they can use these as rewards for doing good things at home or simply for fun pictures)

15 minutes - snack
everyone take turns bringing any apple based snack (applesauce, juice, cider, fritters, newtons...)

45 minutes - activity
discuss parts of a plant and how it grows
be sure to relate to where our foods come from, which foods came from plants in the book
beans planted in various cups - scientific method used to chart observations each week of how different situations cause different results for the beans
15 minutes - ending prayer

whew. It's for 12 kids between ages 6 and 10
we plan on a field trip to either a apple orchard and/or a pie factory
and we hope to end with a big party with different foods from the different countries and of course apple pie!

this is very rough and vague right now, but we are all so excited! :hopping:

Kathy White
05-25-2007, 06:43 PM
Julie Y, Ami (from AZ) and I have been part of a FIAR co-op for 2 years. Here's how we've worked it:

* Picked out books at beginning of semester
* Met 2X a month in the afternoon (this year) rotating homes
* Hostess teaches any lessons she'd like and lets the others know about 2 weeks ahead so we don't reproduce at home
* Hostess provides snack often related to theme
* This year, we celebrated birthdays with presents which the kids loved
* Kids play and moms visit after co-op

I love Ami*'s field trips. What great fun!

When my children were younger this is EXACTLY what our co-op looked like. We have sooooo many great memories of FIAR co-op days. My boys still talk about the things we did in co-op.

One thing we tried to do at least once a month was a related field trip. With Madeline we went downtown and rode a city bus - something none of us had ever done before. :) We went to the farmer's market when doing How to Make an Apple Pie and see the World and picked out all different varieties of apples and came home and made miniature apple pies. With Mrs. Katz and Tush we visited a synagogue and had the director of their children's programs talk to the children. That was soooo interesting! I could go on and on. What WONDERFUL memories! :clap:

~christa~
05-26-2007, 09:02 PM
Keep the ideas coming - Our big central homeschool group has a branch off of it for my area and there are 2 ladies that are starting a program called 'enrichment only'. It is going to be 1 day a week and have extras like lab and foreign language/music/art - and I volunteered to teach the Kindergarten age and I plan on using FIAR!