PDA

View Full Version : Dual enrollment

Kelly K
12-13-2012, 09:25 AM
Can we talk about this a little?

My girls are in 9th grade. I registered them at the community college to take ASL to meet the foreign language requirement for college admission. I'm wondering about charting a long term course of action.

We have a 4 year university nearby that has a fairly long list of gen ed requirements. My two options are to start plowing through the list and clep and take classes to knock out that list before they graduate high school. Or we could just do a more traditional high school course of action and not take too many courses before we get there.

My concern is that if we do that, we will not be eligible for traditional freshman scholarship money. I don't want to sh*ot myself in the foot and not be able to get good scholarships.

Do you have any advice? Thanks.

Linda
12-13-2012, 11:53 AM
Check with the university you think they will go to to see what the requirements are to keep Frosh status. The main Univ. here in town requires no more than x credit hours a semester to keep frosh status (I can't remember what it is, but it's a lot). My niece went to CC for a few years taking spanish, english and some math classes. She graduated from hs w/ 20+ college credits and still entered ASU as a freshman, w/ her Freshman scholarship money intact. Another nephew is basically done w/ homeschooling and takes a bunch of classes through the CC. He's gone through some crazy high math stuff, I can't even remember what it is. Differential equations and something else. He tutors in the CC math lab! People are always surprised when they find out he was only 16! :lol: He also took spanish and english through the CC and some lab sciences. He too will enter as a freshman with freshman scholarship money. So definitely check out the university(ies) you are thinking they will go to.

I've also heard some negative things about CLEPing, so you might want to investigate that a little more closely.

We'll most likely do dual enrollment at some point, I just didn't want to start it Freshman year. :spin: Most people I know start Jr year.

Heather W
12-13-2012, 12:03 PM
Kids here have to be 15 before they can be left on campus by themselves at the CC.

Also, you need to check with the four year university they want to attend. Some will not accept high school credit for college credit.

In other words, you can count those community college classes as high school credits OR you can have it go to college credit, but you cannot do both.

You can CLEP out of things and/or take AP tests and get AP credits for freshman classes. There are pros and cons to that.

I know the university we are associated with will not accept dual credits and it is likely that at least one, if not more, of our kids will go there considering the financial benefit of doing so.

It is difficult to generalize so I would look up specific schools and check in now.

Shannon P
12-13-2012, 02:39 PM
My boys are in some classes at a community college. We've found the advisers to be quite knowledgeable about questions regarding transferring to a university, especially in-state universities with which they have standing transfer agreements. Ask for the dual enrollment adviser or dep't. We haven't encountered any negative attitudes towards homeschoolers from the dual enrollment adviser.

Marcia
12-13-2012, 02:56 PM
I would definitely check with the 4 year university they are planning to attend. Here in California, they have to be at least 16 to take dual credit classes, and they are very limited to what they can take. They also are at the bottom of the priority list to get into the class.

Susan Seaman
12-13-2012, 06:09 PM
Here, as long as it's a state school you're wanting to go to, the credits will transfer. However, the school my daughter attended (a private one) would only accept 15 hours of transfer credit. They didn't have a limit on AP credits they would accept. She entered with 15 credits from jr. college (she had 18) and 6 hours of AP credit. They did consider her a freshmen in terms of scholarships, but I'm sure that's not the case for every school.

I was pretty disappointed in the quality of the courses offered (not as hard as most high school courses), with the exception of her chemistry class, which was practically a graduate course in terms of difficulty.

My plan is for my sons to six hours of Spanish and six hours of something else for dual credit (our state pays for a total of 12 hours, so this will be free). I think beyond that we'll try to study for AP tests.

Gwen in Texas
12-16-2012, 04:29 PM
Our approach is a little different. Karis and Meg are both pursuing two year academic degrees from our local community college. Meg is a senior in high school and is taking dual credit courses. After this semester, she has 29 hours of college credit. My understanding is that if you are uncertain where you want to go for a 4 year degree, it is better to have an entire AA or AS completed, as opposed to a handful of credits you hope to transfer.

If you know which university your child will end up at and which major, many schools have pages on their websites about which cc courses will transfer.

We are taking the community college route because of finances, but I am so happy to have my girls at home a little longer!