PDA

View Full Version : Yet another NOTEBOOKING question.....

Lisa in NE Alabama
05-21-2007, 09:56 AM
Do you all follow a certain format when doing the notebooking? I mean, do you have a definite outline kinda thing that you put in? How do you determine what is going in to the notebook?

I can see definitely using mapwork....

I really like your spiral notebooks that you are doing. Yet, I would always be wondering what to have dc put in them.

Charity White
05-21-2007, 10:18 AM
When I notebook, all I do is journal day by day and put that in. Behind that I add anything we "produced" with that study. Sometimes it's only one or two things, sometimes more. And a few times it was journaling only! Very simple, not the scrapbooky kind of notebooking.

Sheri
05-21-2007, 10:18 AM
You'll get a feel for what will work in the notebooks. I don't have any format I us, I just put a lot of their samples in it from the week.

Jen in SC
05-21-2007, 10:22 AM
Maps, make an extra story disc, vocabulary, small sample of an art technique, a recipe that you might have made, photos of activities that go with the book, etc.

:)

Heather W
05-21-2007, 10:27 AM
Just whatever seems to fit and is a good representation of their work for that topic or study. I let the kids make some decisions and go from there.

Rebecca G
06-12-2007, 06:57 PM
In our notebook, we put journal entries, any thing really exciting we learned that day/week, illustrations, dictations, copywork, maps, coloring pages, poems....songs...even nature drawings if they applied to our study.....anything that we did in that week for that title.

We love the freedom we have in notebooking and its a priceless treasure of memories:)

Blessings,

Lynna
06-12-2007, 07:47 PM
We use index cards for everything, well almost! They make a nice size piece that is easy to use.

Kendra AU
06-13-2007, 07:33 AM
We include a map of the country/state we studied, a flag that matches. For places we've studied more then twice I give the kids a coloring page of famous landmarks or icons. (ie. for England they colored a picture of Paddington Bear, Big Ben, and a double decker bus)

If we study a country that speaks a language other then English I usually try to print out a mini book for the kids with something simple, colors, numbers, shapes with the foreign (to us) language. We usually stick this in as well.

We put in our Vocabulary paper as well. For now, 6 yr old, I type up the paper on the computer in advance and print out pictures that match the definition. We read the word, I read the definition and we read the sentence from our story (which I sometimes include on the vocab paper). Then my child glues on the picture. This entire paper goes in the notebook. By looking at the picture my son can usually tell what word and definition it was.

Next we put in our applied math, be it counting to 100 in groups of ten (Mike Mulligan) or telling time (Madeline). All this goes in on a page as well.

The art projects usually go in, with the exception of Storm In The Night, because we opted to paint on canvas. I often give the kids paper that is an appropriate size so they can fit them in their notebooks. Sometimes this takes up one page, sometimes two. In either case we all enjoy admiring the artwork.

They also put their science papers in the notebook as well. I make up science papers for them on the computer. Which is nothing fancy at all, just some place for us to journal what we think will happen, and then what really does happen. (ie: Ping's sink or float experiments had a "sink" or "float" box where we put happy faces for what we thought would happen. On the "What Really Happened" page they put a smiley face in the right box.) Because there are often 2-4 papers for science I staple them together, glue the bottom page in, cut a slit the width of the paper at the top of the page protector and pull the other papers through. I put a paperclip on the bottom so that when we turn to the next page their papers don't get all bent up. This way they can still look at them all, or rather share them with family, but still take up a small amount of space.

They usually get to make a mini book that pertains to the science theme of the week that goes in the notebook as well. I use the same way of inserting it for them as I do with the science papers. Which means that each FIAR book we study uses up between 5-8 pages in a notebook. The kids have as much fun looking back over it as relatives do seeing them show it off. ;)

Kendra

Holly S
06-13-2007, 08:34 AM
We've only rowed a couple of FIAR books, but this is the format I plan on doing and it doesn't add too much to our lessons:

a flag
a map
vocab words(my DD is young, so I like pictures that show the words)
any lists from the LA lessons
any art we do
cardstock math manipulatives for counting or grouping(if we make any)
any science diagrams, charts, etc. that I find online
pictures of us cooking or DC doing activities
pictures printed from the internet (I had some cat pictures and pictures of Venice for Papa Piccolo)
any extra artwork my DD does (she loves to draw pictures of the books we're covering)

Also, I've been writing up all our activities in a 3X3 table with one subject or picture in each square. It's like a FIAR quilt (I got this idea from the boards). In our last book we did a lapbook for Papa Piccolo and I had a square for each subject including the Bible Supplement where I wrote a sentence or two about what we did. That left three other squares: one for the book cover, one for a picture of a cat, and one for a picture of Venice. As DD gets older, I may have her come up with the summery of our week. For now, I'm using it as kind of a journal for me.

We probably won't have everything for each book we row, just what fits into the lessons.