PDA

View Full Version : Hope this is encourages you Moms of FIAR grads

Kimberly Kane in La.
01-04-2013, 10:41 AM
The weekend is right around the corner and our family will be packing up my eldest to return to PHC for her second semester. As I try not to cry and think about how fast the break flew, I wanted to give some encouragement to you moms that are right behind me.

As I stayed up far too late each night these precious three weeks, I realized that in the grand scheme of things, I must have done some things right! My daughter ROCKED her first semester. She knocked her classes out of the park. She got the lead in her first college play...and ROCKED that too! I was blessed to be able to fly to VA to see her perform in two of the three performances. I got to meet her incredible new group of friends. I was able to see her in her "home away from home" while I was there. I was blessed to know she was right where God wants her to be.

And then she came home for Christmas Break, and I remembered how I thought having a baby was the best stage. Then I thought toddlerhood was the best stage. Then I thought the teen years were the best stage. And now? I am loving having a young adult daughter. I wonder if this is the best stage? :)

Moms, all those times you think you have nothing left to give, but you give anyway...it is worth it. The days you go over something again and again, hoping it sticks this time. It is worth it. The times you prayed and cried and wondered if you were "messing" them up...He hears you. The days that ran together because you were so exhausted and overwhelmed, but you just kept going...let me tell you, the payoff is incredible.

The years I spent with my eldest reading and learning together produced a young woman that has no fear....of learning, of researching, of finding things out on her own when it isn't presented in a nicely wrapped package. I believe that one thing I did right was to just nurture her love of learning...and it is coming into full bloom as she continues to learn in a rigorous academic environment.

Now I continue to focus my teaching attentions to the next students. I have an 8th grader, 4th grader and 1st grader. Will they be exactly like Big Sister? Absolutely not! Will I teach them the exact same way I taught her? Absolutely not! But will I prayerfully, by the grace of God, nurture in them a love of learning? YOU BET!

Stay the course, Mom. You are doing something incredible. There is a song I love that has a line in it that says, "We’ll bring a child into this world.
And we’ll say the one thing everyone should hear: You were meant for amazing things." All of our children are meant for amazing things...and we get to be the ones to tell them that over and over again!

I love you ladies. Thank you for walking this journey with me over the years. I can't believe I started this over 15 years ago with an eager little 3-year-old. Now she is a young woman doing amazing things. How blessed can I be?

Steph
01-04-2013, 02:08 PM
This is such a sweet testimony and encouragement to me. My oldest will graduate next year and it seems like I can't even look at him these days without tearing up. I look at him and see the little boy crying tears over math. But I also see us snuggling on the couch and reading The Story of Ping for the millionth time. There were many days when I didn't think we would make it, but we did and he's amazing. Thank you for the reminder.

Heather (WI)
01-04-2013, 06:54 PM
What an awesome testimony! :) Thanks, Kimberly!!

Becky in CA
01-04-2013, 07:58 PM
That is a great testimony! I totally concur with all you said. It is ALL worth it. My youngest will start 11th grade on the 14th...and still homeschooling!!! I would NOT have it any other way!!!

Shelly L
01-05-2013, 09:37 AM
Thanks for sharing this! What an encouragement to us all! I'm so glad that things are going so well for your daughter at PHC!

Rebe
01-05-2013, 12:05 PM
Thanks for posting! :hcry:

Cindy in CA
01-05-2013, 12:25 PM
:hcry::hcry: So, so beautiful!

LeanneNZ
01-17-2013, 11:54 AM
Moms, all those times you think you have nothing left to give, but you give anyway...it is worth it. The days you go over something again and again, hoping it sticks this time. It is worth it. The times you prayed and cried and wondered if you were "messing" them up...He hears you. The days that ran together because you were so exhausted and overwhelmed, but you just kept going...let me tell you, the payoff is incredible.

Well said! It is totally worth all the hard work standing on the threshold - AND looking back it does go soo fast. Keeping the child at the same level going over and over until it is understood can be hard going through it but yep the outcome of the hard work is sooooo worth it,
Love leanne

Marcia
01-18-2013, 09:03 AM
I agree, and I also think every stage is my "favorite" stage too! :lol: Good job! :clap:

Gwen in Texas
01-18-2013, 04:31 PM
Kimberly, reading your post gave me chills. I am so, so happy for you and your girl. Thank you for the encouraging, strengthening words. Love to you and yours!

Donna in MO
01-26-2013, 04:53 PM
Thank you so much for sharing this! I have many of the same thoughts and feelings these days as my oldest graduates next year. Fears of having messed up or not doing "enough", fears mixed with excitement for her future, anticipation about what she'll choose and where the Lord will take her, the joy and trepidation as I watch her blossom into a young woman who desires to life a life pleasing to her Lord and has grown-up decisions to make.... It is bittersweet! :hcry:

Julie Y
01-31-2013, 07:57 PM
:hcry: :hcry: thanks for sharing!