PDA

View Full Version : Shelly L (and other PT workers)

Stacy
05-22-2007, 07:29 AM
s

Shelly L
05-22-2007, 09:24 AM
I have one child, currently a first-grader. I'm finding more and more that it is difficult to find child care for her, even for the two mornings a week that I work. (The rest of the time, I work evenings and weekends, so she is with my husband.)

Mostly, she has been watched by friends of mine who also have children at home. Also, we live in a college town, so i have occasionally found a responsible college girl to come to my house and spend time with her. She is turning 7 this summer, and so I feel bad if I have to put her in a "daycare" environment with preschoolers or toddlers, (I've never put her in a true daycare, but with friends who have toddlers). She likes to be a "helper," and so if the mom interacts well with my daughter and allows her some responsiblities and treats her as though she is a helper and not a just a "charge," I feel better about that, but it definitely depends on the mom. This summer I am looking at having her go one day a week with a couple that have a newborn. The mom is very sweet and used to be my daughter's assistant Sunday School teacher, so I think she would spend one on one time with my daughter while the baby is napping.

I also have a single co-worker who is off one morning that I work, so she comes out and spends time with my dd while I'm at work.

I don't know if this relates to your situation at all, but I would take a good look at who you know from work, church, neighborhood. Who can you trust? Is there a college nearby? You could seek out college kids, but only those who come with references or those you know to be of responsible character. This summer, will there be some older teenagers that you trust (homeschoolers work well!) who could come to your home? Some families of teenagers don't mind if the child comes to their home, as long as the teen knows they have the primary responsibility for the child.

Hope these ideas help or spawn some new idea for your situation!

Shelly

Robin H in VA
05-22-2007, 08:45 PM
Hi Stacy

I work PT in the evenings, about 20 hours a week. I work from 5:00 - 9:00.

Childcare is not too much of a problem. I meet dh at our local stock yard and we swap ds there. I go onto work and they go on home and fix dinner. On the days that I work 12-5, my mom and dd watch ds. Sometimes, I even take him to work with me.

There are times that I have to work that weird schedule. 12 noon - 5:00 PM, so that throws us off schedule for about a week and a half, sometimes two. I just came off that schedule, so we probably won't get anything major done this week. So, schedulling is my biggest problem with working PT.

I did look into daycare for ds though. The place that I work at is getting ready to move to a new location and I thought that I was going to be moving to day time hours, so I looked into daycare at a local center.

The owner/operator is a friend and she said that she would take ds, even though he would be there all day, instead of going to school with the other schoolers. She stated that most centers will not do this, b/c there is not usually a teacher for the schooler rooms unless the schoolers are there. In this centers case, the schooler teacher is there from 6:00 AM to about 9:00 AM and then she leaves. The other schooler room teacher does not come in until it is almost time for school to let out. I thought about what my ds would be doing all day, sitting in the toddler room with children much younger than him, I didn't like the sound of that.

So, I decided to quit work. I had been thinking about quitting in 2 years anyway. I had many reasons for quitting, like child care, work hours, school hours, no insurance for me or ds. My dh has insurance at his job, but we can't afford a family plan. With both our incomes, ds did not qualify for any health insurance and I don't either. Luckily, ds hardly ever goes to the doctor, but I have asthma and I have other health problems.

Hope you find a solution soon.