PDA

View Full Version : Literature

Carol S
01-28-2013, 12:19 PM
Do any of you wonderful organized people have high school literature plans all typed up that you would like to share with me to help me improve what we're doing over here? I'm not very happy with myself right now. I'm farming out science right now, and I really don't mind that too much, but I don't want to have to outsource more and more things just because I'm disorganized/can't make up my mind.

If you do and are willing to share, could you send it to me at stett at bellsouth dot net?

Linda
01-28-2013, 04:51 PM
I like the Ambleside lit lists. My kids have really developed quite a sophisticated reading preference reading through all the great books they have listed. My two oldest are part of a teen bookclub and this months book, picked by another family, has been so painful for them. It's too simple, predictable and poorly written, Emily's words. Mind you, this is a Sonlight History selection. :spin: I have to agree with her, compared to Dickens, Scott, Churchill, Twain... This book is too simple, predictable and poorly written. ;)

I've created book snobs! If you're going to be a snob, that's the thing to be a snob about! :lol:

Heather W
01-28-2013, 07:10 PM
Have you considered Excellence in Literature by IEW? They have about four levels to coincide with high school English. Looks fairly straightforward to implement and doesn't require much beyond the books themselves and the smallish manual.

Rebe
01-28-2013, 09:10 PM
Have you considered Excellence in Literature by IEW? They have about four levels to coincide with high school English. Looks fairly straightforward to implement and doesn't require much beyond the books themselves and the smallish manual.

This is what I'm using with my two oldest, and maybe will with my youngest as well -- we'll see. It's a really good program for kids who like to read, write, and are comfortable with those things and want to get better at them. At the very least, you could look at the book lists and get a good overview of some books to do. But the manuals aren't very expensive at all, and are pretty much self-taught.

Laura JL
01-29-2013, 11:53 AM
I like Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings for the 9th grade year General Literature selection (I have to show Gen Lit; World Lit; Am Lit and British Lit for my accountability assoc.). I have one dc that is using it in 8th and it's working great -- another one that needed it to be for 9th. I also selected the IEW's Teaching the Classics/Windows to the World combo program for 10th grade -- if you purchase the syllabus for the two courses all the planning and selections are done for you -- we called it World Lit and dd then added in some additional classics from a selected reading list I composed from SL, Ambleside, and IEW. This year for 11th we're doing American Lit utilizing Notgrass's Exploring America history program and adding in some of IEW's Am Lit program or selections from Ambleside. For 12th we'll cover British Literature probably utilizing IEW's British Lit adding to it if dd's desires.

Heather W
01-29-2013, 03:24 PM
Another nod for Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings. I'm using it with my 9th and 7th graders this year. We're also using One Year Adventure Novel and it's been FABULOUS in teaching about story and what a good story is like using lots of examples. So worth it!

Becky in CA
01-29-2013, 03:47 PM
We use LLATL. If we needed to swap out a book study, we will either use Movies as Literature by Kathryn Stout or Walch Publications as a similar book. So far we haven't felt the need to substitute.