PDA

View Full Version : Literary Lessons w/ Lord of the Rings

Steph
01-30-2013, 12:03 PM
My soon to be 9th grader would like to use this for his English credit. He's read all the books but I have not. My oldest son didn't like them so we did other things for his literature/English credit.

Will it be necessary for me to read the books? I'm willing to read them, BUT I really don't like them. I've tried soooo many times to read them and I just don't "get" them. I want this to be a great study for him. We're used to discussing books.....but this child has very different literary tastes.

Has anyone used this for an English credit? From what I can see with online samples, it covers plenty in terms of an English credit. I also liked that they discuss Beowulf, Iliad, etc. as that will work well with his ancient history studies.

Thanks!

Heather W
01-30-2013, 01:17 PM
Great study...I've never been able to read the books either, but I made a commitment to read this with the kids (who have read it a lot) and it's been enjoyable. I read aloud to them and they do the exercises and all the rest.

It's been a lot of fun and I highly recommend this for an English credit!

Steph
01-30-2013, 03:37 PM
Thanks Heather. I'm glad you responded because I thought I remembered seeing on your blog (which I love, BTW!) that one of your kids was using this.

Could you tell me what some of the assignments look like? I've seen a couple sample pages, but it just looked like vocabulary matching. I'm especially interested in what kind of literary analysis is included.

Hollie in SC
01-30-2013, 05:20 PM
Steph, our copy for next year just arrived this week! My oldest has read the books over and over. I am *planning* to get the audio CDs for the van from the library. They aren't my thing either, but I think I'll be happier listening to them than reading them. :)

CINDY LB OH
01-30-2013, 07:30 PM
My first dd used it in 10th grade and loved it. I read the books too, and loved them, but I love fantasy.

It's definitely enough for an English credit.

I like Hollie's idea... get it on audio book. Then you can listen while you are doing other things and still be able to discuss it with your ds.

Steph
01-30-2013, 07:35 PM
I am so glad to hear that I'm not the only one that doesn't like these books. It seems like everyone I know IRL is a "superfan" and cannot fathom the idea od someone not liking them.
I'll check the library. Maybe listening would be better.

Heather W
01-31-2013, 08:40 AM
Listening may be better, but you'll need the audios for the duration. We read whole 20 page chapters at a time and do the daily exercises which include things like outlining the story (fill in the blank), vocabulary exercises, and essay questions along with background knowledge on that chapter.

Every so often, there are vocabulary sheets followed by a vocabulary quiz. There are also unit tests which are culminations of certain sections of the books.

After a unit test there is a unit study of some sort. This is when they'll have a chance to do Beowulf or whatever else. STudents have a choice on projects within the study.

Laura JL
01-31-2013, 09:52 AM
I have a friend that just couldn't get into the reading of LOTR -- she found the audio selections on audible (they apparently have both abridged and unabridged so double check if you go that route). Another friend purchased the entire CD collection here: http://www.audiobookstand.com/product.asp?AuthorId=20086&Titleid=100067510 I looked at it and considered it bec my 9 yo likes to listen to audio books on his CD player at night and in the car -- it says unabridged.

My boys have enjoyed LOTR far more than my DD, but she's never been that into fantasy. I like the LLLOTR bec I think it provides a nice balance of projects, vocabulary and comprehension -- my favorite has been the extra info included about the books and Tolkien himself.

Rebe
01-31-2013, 10:05 AM
I am so glad to hear that I'm not the only one that doesn't like these books.

I tried them and couldn't handle it. :no:

My dh and dd (they both LOVE them) told me that I made a mistake reading the prologue or introduction or whatever it is at the beginning of the first book. They said if I had skipped that (which is just the history of Middle Earth or hobbits or something like that), then it gets into the story quicker and I would have liked it. I doubt it, but if I did decide to read them, I would skip that part. I just remember it being the most boring thing ever -- but apparently I was making a mistake starting at the very beginning. :unsure:

I couldn't read the books and I'm not a huge fan of the movies, either. I haven't even told dd there's an English study on LOTR. ;)

Julie in AZ
01-31-2013, 01:58 PM
My ds is using LLLOTR this year. He really enjoys it. I enjoy the study but some of the chapters are tedious for me. We're both reading separately. It makes the discussion so much more enjoyable if you read the book too.

BTW, we started out doing it as written. We've decided for the second and third books to skip the summaries and vocabulary so we can stay on track reading one chapter each day. We'll do the discussion questions and her notes daily. I really like the teaching in the unit studies.