PDA

View Full Version : The Bee Tree

Helena
05-22-2007, 11:48 AM
I just wanted to share some activities we have done with The Bee Tree for the Language Arts section that we will put in our lapbook/notebook.

For the Vocabulary we made a shape book which was in the shape of a bee hive. In addition to the FIAR voc we also added some bee voc.

For the Onomatopoeia's we did an accordion shape book and I printed pictures off of the Internet and they had to label them with their sounds. For example: telephone: Brrring, candy bar: crunch, alarm clock: buzzzz, cow: moooo, cat: meow, rain: pitterpatter, etc....

For analogies we came up with different things that I wrote on the board then they made a book of analogies. For ex: Yellow is to Banana as Tomato is to red, Burger is to bun as Taco is to shell, finger is to toe as hand is to foot, etc....

We have gone to Reed's Gold Mine to visit the mines and panned for gold. Only one of us found gold.

When we finish the bee section we are going to see the bee man. In addition to showing us all the equipment and telling us about his job he is also going to feed us honey.

We are really enjoying this book. :clap:

Since school is technically over for us we are taking longer with this book then we normally would. We still have to cover Michigan, Hexagons, and finish bees.

debbie in ak
05-22-2007, 12:27 PM
Sounds cool!:clap: We haven't rowed this one yet with my younger ds...looking forward to it next year! Since we are in AK and near the Yukon we do a lot with the Yukon territory for this book.

Paige P
05-22-2007, 02:20 PM
I love your onomatopoeia and analogy ideas. Thanks for sharing.

In our local newspaper (www.tuscaloosanews.com) , the front cover was about a local beekeeper. Online, you can see some "extra" bee pictures, too. I'm hoping to try to contact him when we do this book and have the kids take a field trip out there. They would LOVE it, I know.

Helena
05-22-2007, 03:36 PM
I just had to post.

As we were working on our analogy books my daughter said, "A dog is to bite, as a bee is to sting." Of course we HAD to add that one.

Paige, thank you for the pictures!!