PDA

View Full Version : Military Academy ?

Alicia
02-09-2013, 08:09 PM
Does anyone else's son want to go to a military academy after they graduate from high school? Just wondering, as my youngest ds wants to go to the Naval Academy. :) This is something he has wanted to do for several years. We visited Annapolis a couple years ago and toured the academy.

Rebe
02-11-2013, 05:20 PM
Very cool, Alicia.

My ds will probably not go this route because he's (probably) not West Point material, you know? He has a friend who is -- and when they are, you know it. This friend is an Eagle Scout, is extremely ambitious and driven, and would do great at a military academy. My ds is considering ROTC, but not an academy.

Kudos to your ds for checking it out!

Esther-Alabama
02-13-2013, 05:28 PM
My oldest son wants to go to the Air Force Academy. We have a friend there now.

The best advice I received was to research what the academy wants to see in applicants. For instance, the AFA wants to see young men who have leadership experience, sports experience, and academic success. It is much more detailed than that, but just an example.

Then I can tailor my ds's high school years and transcript to fit that, kwim? His course load needs to be what they'd like to see and his extra curriculars needs to be there as well.

Good luck to your son!

Heather W
02-13-2013, 08:11 PM
Typically you also need an appointment from both Senators from your state.

The Naval Academy is lovely. My husband is from Annapolis and his family used to sponsor midshipman each year through his church. So, they'd host on Sundays for church and Sunday dinner type stuff.

I don't know how old your son is, but start early! You need to start courting the academies early with all the stuff you need to prepare!