PDA

View Full Version : Homeschooling high school books?

Tricia O
02-14-2013, 11:40 PM
Any recommendations on your favorite books about homeschooling high school? Or any you wouldn't recommend? Any other good references, sites, etc. also appreciated!
Thanks!

WendyW
02-15-2013, 12:16 AM
What's your style? I know of two great ones, both are for totally different personality types.

If you lean toward the eclectic, "do what works and figure out how to make it look like credits", apprenticeship, & hands-on, the the book you want is Senior High: A Home-designed Form-u-la. Full of forms to record whatever you study, and help you figure out a well-rounded education. There's also an audio recording on the subject done by the author. Based on her writing and speaking, the author is very ADD, but lots of great info. Just don't try to absorb it all at once.

If you like the "tell me what to do and I'll do it", formal curriculum, the book for you (or so I've been told) is Homeschooling High School (http://legacyhomeschool.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=38_63&products_id=1409). I'm not that person so I have no experience with this book.

Rebe
02-15-2013, 11:49 AM
Form-U-La drove me crazy with her disjointed, rambling style, but it was very helpful in seeing how I could create my own courses, count hours, etc. I'm glad I bought it and read most of it (even though you can really skip a lot of it -- don't let her randomness overwhelm you, which it certainly can! I almost threw the book across the room a few times...).

I have a couple of other "how-to" guides, but honestly, once I had about a semester of high school behind me, I never looked at them again. It's not as hard as you'd think. Rather than a "here's how you need to do this," I needed more of a "here are some ideas and you can take it from there" approach. I guess it depends on your personality, like Wendy said.

The Donna Young website is helpful for forms, transcript ideas, etc. The HSLDA website is also very helpful for the same types of things, plus timelines (although real life is a little more flexible than they let on, in my experience -- again, don't let HSLDA overwhelm you).

If you can get to a homeschool conference and go to a few seminars, this is by far the most helpful thing I can think of. We have college reps at ours, experienced hs moms, transcript workshops, etc. Enormously helpful.

Heather W
02-15-2013, 01:06 PM
the Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling Teens is ok :) Got it last summer and skimmed most of it.

I still like to read books that are out of the main stream like Project Based Homeschooling and Unit Studies Made Easy. I look for ways to homeschool my high schooler that are in synch with how we've been homeschooling all along.

How to build courses from the things we study and the interests my students have.

That said, we do use curriculum but that matches what we have going as well- Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings, One Year Adventure Novel, Life of Fred High School math, etc.

We also use books over texts for course material and assign tasks accordingly- essays, text analysis, etc.

Lindy
02-15-2013, 02:07 PM
Form-U-La drove me crazy with her disjointed, rambling style, but it was very helpful in seeing how I could create my own courses, count hours, etc. I'm glad I bought it and read most of it (even though you can really skip a lot of it -- don't let her randomness overwhelm you, which it certainly can! I almost threw the book across the room a few times...).

Totally agree!!! so good at times and soooo irritating at others... :lol:

wende
02-16-2013, 08:10 AM
Homeschooling the Highschooler by Diana McAlister is another option. It is pretty basic, and some info may be a bit outdated (my copy is from 1993) but it gives good outlines of recommended cores.

I Carved the Angel from the Marble by Ellyn Davis has a really good chapter on homeschooling through high school.

Last month I blogged (http://www.homeschoolshare.com/blog/2013/01/unit-studies-in-high-school/) about how we use Unit Studies through highschool, fwiw.

Becca P
02-16-2013, 03:14 PM
The Ultimate Guide To Homeschooling Teens by Debra Bell.