PDA

View Full Version : How do these 8th grade plans look?

Tricia O
02-16-2013, 11:28 PM
Well, we only have four weeks of 7th grade left here, so I am planning out next year. These are the basic plans. How does this look for 8th grade?

Mystery of History Volume II - The Middle Ages (with family) - mostly just reading/listening & pretests & exercises/quizzes, along with our family timeline book
Apologia Physical Science
Spelling Power
Winston Word Works (continuation after Winston Grammar)
Lightning Literature 8 (skipping most composition)
Teaching Textbooks PreAlgebra
Lightbearers(Bible)
Institute for Excellence in Writing (SWI-B with sister)(was supposed to do this year but never started :blush: but will be better anyway with sister a year older)
Continue dance & piano lessons, likely add guitar as she really wants to learn
Typing Instructor (try to work harder at this next year)

CINDY LB OH
02-17-2013, 11:01 AM
:thumb: I think your plans look great. Will you just flow into 8th grade or take a break?

Tricia O
02-17-2013, 03:32 PM
We plan to take off from March 16 to May 13th this year, but Elizabeth will continue doing her General Science & Lightning Lit 7 until she is finished. We need somewhat of a break around here, and DH really likes the time to work on the garden. We will start a little early this year, since there is one week in July that DH & Elizabeth will be on a youth trip, and Katie & Michael will be with Grandma during half of the days (due to me working). And there is another week later in July that Katie & Michael will go to camp with DH as chaperone, and so Elizabeth will stay with Grandma, so we will probably just not do school those two weeks.

Hollie in SC
02-17-2013, 03:45 PM
:thumb: It looks very similar to what we have done this year.

This year our oldest is in 8th grade. We have done a study of different things for history (social studies) this year with Amanda Bennetts unit studies and HOAC lapbooks (Government, US Immigration, Citizenship, etc.)
Apologia Phys Science
Phonetic Zoo
Analytical Grammar (FINALLY found a grammar program that he understands!)
Lightning Lit 8
MUS Algebra
Lightbearers (Fabulous program! We are going to use it again in 10th for credit. It is very good, but very deep. We have lightened some of the longer assignments.)
IEW SICCB
some random little things like finishing up Daily Grams and Mindbenders that we do just a few days a week

Tricia O
02-17-2013, 04:09 PM
:thumb: It looks very similar to what we have done this year.
Lightning Lit 8
Lightbearers (Fabulous program! We are going to use it again in 10th for credit. It is very good, but very deep. We have lightened some of the longer assignments.)
IEW SICCB

How do you like IEW? I think we were too intimidated & never got started with it. I have actually owned it for two years. :blush:
Was there a lot of writing in Lightbearers? My oldest is very writing resistant (another reason why I have been hesitant to start writing, even though I know she needs it).
How did you like Lightning Lit 8? Do you do the composition parts along with IEW or skip them? How is your son with writing?

Hollie in SC
02-17-2013, 04:58 PM
How do you like IEW? I think we were too intimidated & never got started with it. I have actually owned it for two years. :blush:
IMHO it is one you just need to start. Sit down with them and watch the lesson, read through the lesson plan, and you may even want to do it alongside them. Eli has dysgraphia issues and writing and spelling are TOUGH for him. While IEW is still hard for him, he really likes it and LOVES Andrew Pudewa.

Was there a lot of writing in Lightbearers? My oldest is very writing resistant (another reason why I have been hesitant to start writing, even though I know she needs it).
There are 1-2 bigger assignments in each unit. One is usually writing a paragraph and there is usually a more in-depth assignment (presentation, writing, etc.) Like I said, it is a lot. :) That is why we want to go back through it again. It is very well done, but it is a lot to capture in one go around. He has learned so much and has really enjoyed it, but I know he'll have a better grasp on it all if we go back through it.

How did you like Lightning Lit 8? Do you do the composition parts along with IEW or skip them? How is your son with writing?

As I mentioned above, Eli has issues with dysgraphia. We went through SWIA twice then SICCA and now SICCB. During the first year I felt that MY learning curve was as big as his which is why we did round 2 with it. Dh has taken over a lot of it for me. He writes a lot with his job (engineer) and my teen boy can be more accepting of dad working with him on a tough subject than mom. For us there are two issues: 1) dysgraphia 2) resistance to putting the hard work in to meet his abilities. The dysgraphia is something we just have to work with. The other is a character issue that we are having to push through with writing and most of his subjects.

Now, back to your question :) We have done about 60% of the writing in Lightbearers. We have done about 75% of the writing in LL. When we can, dh will look at LL and decide on whether or not he should do the assignments. In general, I'll look at the LL teachers book and see how many weeks are set up for the unit: Ex 4 weeks. I'll ask him to write a daily schedule of what he will do when to finish it in that amount of time. I always suggest that he leaves a week to write so he can break it down into smaller steps and it can be reviewed along the way.

Oh, we also have had him go through Analytical Grammar's Teaching the Essay this year. It is lit analysis and is covered later in IEW, but we needed a break in IEW as he bogged down in letter writing. Their style is different, but it is very specific and it was a great introduction to lit analysis for him.

Tricia O
02-17-2013, 05:03 PM
Thanks Hollie! She has always been my most writing resistant one. I can clearly remember a four or five-year-old Katie telling Elizabeth, "It's supposed to be Handwriting WITHOUT Tears!" :roflol: She's also a lefty & has been slower in almost all her fine & gross motor skills. She didn't learn how to ride a bike until after her younger sister learned. :eyes: It has been this way in a lot of areas. I actually think my 6th grader will be easier with learning the IEW than my 8th grader. However, my oldest is a very talented artist & musician, so they all have their strengths & weaknesses. :yes:

Hollie in SC
02-17-2013, 05:25 PM
I understand. My 6th grader is a natural writer and speller. He has also loved IEW, but writing isn't a chore for him.

Becky in CA
02-17-2013, 05:31 PM
It looks complete to me, too. My youngest is a leftie, and he's been a bit behind in writing as well.

Miranda.in.WA
02-17-2013, 05:32 PM
That looks like a great program! Impressive :) My son had an easy time with TT Pre Algebra, but some parts of Algebra I has been a challenge for him. The math in Apology Physical Science is a little more advance than Pre Algebra, so she may need additional help with those. I have looked in the TT table of contents and see where the types of problems have been introduced and had him watch those lectures and even the solutions to some of the similar problems. My son started the year 1/2 way through Alg I and began Physical science. However, Physical Science has by far been his favorite science :) He's more of a literature person than a math/science person.

:)

Hollie in SC
02-17-2013, 05:36 PM
We moved to a scientific calculator for Physical Science. :)

Tricia O
02-17-2013, 05:45 PM
What kind of math calculations are in Physical Science?

Hollie in SC
02-17-2013, 05:53 PM
What kind of math calculations are in Physical Science?
I'm trying to remember as Eli did it in a local co-op and they covered it HARD--16 chapters in 16 weeks. However, he has been done for several months.

I think a lot of it is unit conversions, force, mass, velocity. Maybe some with the weather units like changing to celcius?