PDA

View Full Version : High school history with lesson plans?

Tricia O
02-20-2013, 07:21 PM
Sorry for another similar topic but the more research I do, the more questions I seem to have. :perplex:

Can you tell me some high school history curriculums with lesson plans? I love the look of Truthquest, but am not at all excited about having to pick & choose & plan it all out or go to the library so often. Our library isn't that great either. And from our past experiences, I just know that our family does so much better with plans organized by weeks.

Also, do most history curriculums include English or just some of them? She really likes to read but isn't too enthused with too much writing. Also, we do like living books so I am hoping to avoid the very boring approach which was use to teach me history.

Has anyone here used My Father's World for high school history? How about Sonlight? Also considering Notgrass. Am I forgetting anything good? So much to think about!

CINDY LB OH
02-20-2013, 07:27 PM
I've only used the Beautiful Feet guides, (http://bfbooks.com/Study-Guides) and love them. I wrote about them in your other post. They have samples on the site for you to look when you click a specific guide.

They are laid out with exactly what to read on a week by week basis, and suggest what to notebook if you want to. We never did all the notebook suggestions in the upper levels.
They also include lots of geography work. My kids loved doing maps.

Rebe
02-20-2013, 08:04 PM
Notgrass is written to the student. There is a very clear plan of what to read each day, and you as the teacher can decide how much else she actually does. You can do a full credit of history, English and Bible, or you can just do history. You can write a paper every week (if you include English) or you can write no papers at all (if you just do history). There are weekly quizzes and tests every few units or so, with answer keys.

There are no teacher lesson plans because it's not written to/for the teacher. Notgrass is a textbook, though. My ds finds it very interesting, but it's not a "living book." It also includes original source documents and many living books -- but the core book is a textbook.

Don't stress too much! :)

Steph
02-20-2013, 08:52 PM
My Father's World uses the Notgrass World History books for their 9th and 10th grade program. I love their lesson plans. They are written to the student in grid form and very easy to follow. Friday is a light scheduled day so that the student can do a service project and/or meet to discuss the week with their teacher. Their program is set up like this:

9th Grade: Ancient History, O.T. Bible and Ancient Lit/English
10th Grade: World History, N.T. Bible/Church History and Literature

I didn't use this with my oldest but I'm considering it for my upcoming 9th grader.

Tricia O
02-20-2013, 10:07 PM
My Father's World uses the Notgrass World History books for their 9th and 10th grade program. I love their lesson plans. They are written to the student in grid form and very easy to follow. Friday is a light scheduled day so that the student can do a service project and/or meet to discuss the week with their teacher. Their program is set up like this:

9th Grade: Ancient History, O.T. Bible and Ancient Lit/English
10th Grade: World History, N.T. Bible/Church History and Literature

I didn't use this with my oldest but I'm considering it for my upcoming 9th grader.

Do you know what MFW uses for 11th & 12th? I was having a very hard time on their site actually figuring out what they use. :unsure:

Nancy Ann
02-21-2013, 12:31 AM
Sonlight has pretty clear examples on there website. It will give you details of what the lesson plans look like. Can you find them? Do you have any specific questions about them? Sonlight does include writing. I think most history programs are going to include writing assignments. But you can pick and choose what you are going to do. If you are doing writing with another curriculum than you can just skip the writing all together with whatever curriculum you choose.

Sonlight has a lot of books and so it is more than just history, it will also cover literature, poetry, bible studies. Along with a writing component. If you look at a sample of the schedule you will see all that is included. It's quite comprehensive. One core will give a student 1 history credit and 1 English credit and if you do 2-3+ cores in highschool you can also claim a geography credit if you do all the mapping in the cores.

Beautiful Feet would be living books with just a focus on history. There are lots of writing and notebooking and research type activities that go with it. But you can just do the reading and pick and choose anything else. I am not sure what high school credits you can claim.

If you are wanting just a living books history curriculum Beautiful Feet may be the way to go. There won't be as many books as Sonlight but it is more focused on just history. Sonlight is great if you guys also don't mind having more than just history books, but also have literature, poetry and bible readings. Some of the Sonlight books are not related to the history topic but just good books, fun books etc... If you already have a book list of books your child is going to read or reads well on their own and you already have something you are doing for bible than Sonlight may be too much for you. If you do Sonlight you really don't need anything else for history/geography, language arts and bible. I prefer to have all the books for history and literature and scheduled bible readings. I really appreciate the scheduled bible readings. I like having it all covered and all on my shelf at home. Like you the library doesn't work well for us. But you may not need all of that.

Both Beautiful Feet and Sonlight will have a writing component, but you can pick and choose what to do. If you are really JUST wanting history Sonlight may be more than what you want and be overwhelming. Do you already have something for English/Literature?

Tricia O
02-21-2013, 10:16 AM
I was considering Lightning Lit but it doesn't really have enough books IMO.
I looked at Beautiful Feet but it wasn't quite what I am looking for.
I showed my daughter some of the choices this morning & she preferred Notgrass over My Father's World, and Sonlight definitely over Notgrass. I really like the independent aspect of Sonlight & that it is all laid out for her. I have actually considered skipping parts of my plan for next year (her 8th grade)(Mystery of History 2 & Lightning Lit) & doing Core W next year with her, but we are also planning Lightbearers for 8th grade & not sure how easy it would be to skip the Bible parts of Sonlight.
Also, do cores 100 & above count as Bible credits?

Becky in CA
02-21-2013, 11:19 AM
If you might be interested in something that is a bit more secular (and perhaps do Bible with something else), you might want to check out History Odyssey at Pandia Press. They have pretty detailed lesson plans from what I can remember. There are three levels for each time period. There are samples on their site.

Steph
02-21-2013, 01:39 PM
MFW uses BJU's U.S. History for 11th and 12th grade. They divide it into 2 years; just like Notgrass.

I know you said your dd preferred Notgrass to MFW, but if you can get your hands on a manual, you will have a much better idea of how the curr. works than just the sample pages. I've decided to use MFW with Isaac next year because I need the lessons laid out for him and he needs direct instruction with writing. The first week of MFW has them writing an argumenative paper. With my oldest, I just told him the basics of the paper and told him to write it. It wasn't a problem for him, but it will be harder for Isaac. The Lit. Companion is wonderful. Everything for the writing assignments and books is written directly to the student in easy to understand language. I really wanted him to have a Biblical perspective on books like The Epic of Gilgamesh, Iliad, etc. and MFW does this well. The history and Bible is tied together so well and I love the notes that are written to the student.

I don't mean to be pushing MFW on you...I'm just excitied to be using it next year and acually seeing the manual made all the difference my me and ds. I hope you can find what you're looking for, so your dd can have a great year.

Ginger Lynn
02-21-2013, 01:44 PM
I am looking at my soon to be 10th grader either using My Father's World or Heart of Dakota. Have you looked at it?

Tricia O
02-21-2013, 09:41 PM
I did look at Heart of Dakota also, but we are pretty much in agreement that she will be doing Sonlight Core 100 in 9th grade.

Now we are considering using Sonlight Core W next year instead of Mystery of History & Lightning Lit, as she & I love the book list.

However, I am unsure about this as Core W has it's own Bible plans & we were looking forward to Lightbearers next year. The Bible part of Core W looks good as well, though. :perplex:

Also, we still plan to use our own spelling, grammar & writing next year, in lieu of the Sonlight Core W Language Arts.

In determining the cost of Sonlight, it really isn't that much less to buy just the parts I want to use instead of the whole Core W, but then it seems a waste to be buying parts I don't plan to use. :confused:

Nancy Ann
02-21-2013, 10:33 PM
This year with Core D we used Grapevine studies instead of the bible portion of Sonlight, so it easy to change out. I do understand it feels like a waste to buy stuff you won't use. That is why I have just decided to use their writing and bible. Last year I used Grapevine Studies and Winning with Writing and I really like both of these but with our next Core E I am going to use what Sonlight has for bible and their language arts, basically to save money and not buy more stuff. When it comes to the LA it is intended that you add in spelling and a grammar on your own. They give room for it on the schedule you get. Sonlight gives you their suggestion to use for those, but you can use something different. So the only thing you would be using extra would be the writing and bible. (the earlier cores have a light grammar but I don't believe Core W does and I know the high school cores don't)

One thing about money with Sonlight is that upfront it can be expensive but it's about 90% reusable for your other children. The guides and books can all be used again, so I consider Sonlight to be a good deal.

I don't mean to make things more difficult for your decisions but if you decide to do Core W for your daughter's 8th grade year they are making changes as of April 1st. Last year they reorganized the Instructional Guides for Cores A -G. The new guides are wonderful, I like them quite a bit. I believe this year they are reorganizing Core H and W and maybe more I don't know. We won't know the changes until March 15 when the new catalog comes out. So... there may be some books changes with Core W, they may take out some books and add some others when they re organize these Cores. So.. if you order before April 1st you will get what is on their website now for Core W and the older guides. If you wait until after April 1st than there may be books changes but you will get the new guides. I think the Genevieve Foster books are going because they got rid of them for Core G. Core H is the second half of World History and Core W is the combo of Core G and Core H, so it's all assumed that they are taking out the Foster books. So, this is just a heads up and we don't really know what is going to go on with these Cores. You may want to call Sonlight or ask on the Sonlight Forums for other people's opinions. I just wanted to give you a heads up about this. Sorry to make things more difficult!

Tricia O
02-21-2013, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the heads up! We won't actually start our new school year until mid-May, so I should be fine to wait & order the newer guides. And yes, I definitely see the value in being able to reuse almost all of it.

Laura JL
02-22-2013, 10:35 AM
We also love SL for high school and I love the schedule even though I tweak it:) For our family I found that I needed to pick and choose for the writing suggestions and the Bible portion. Since I like to do Bible w/ both my middles together we tended to select a resource at a time and read it together to discuss - then individually they use Queen's Bible studies. My dd has enjoyed Notgrass bec she doesn't like reading as many books and likes the layout of it -- but we do add in resources from SL bec even she admits that, while Notgrass is far better than BJU, it is dry when you've had the joy of the SL books.

I agree to keep an eye out for the info on updates -- if I remember I'll try to remember to let you know as soon as I see something ont he SL boards.

Nancy Ann
02-22-2013, 01:30 PM
I was also thinking that you may want to consider just buying the Core and get used to the schedule and how it works and than if after a month or so you still want to add in your bible and writing than you could do that. I know there have been times when I have ordered a Core and than a whole bunch of other stuff only to realize I was really happy with just the core and it felt overwhelming to add anything more.

Donna in MO
02-23-2013, 04:43 PM
Sounds like you've already decided to go with SL, but for the sake of discussion, I just thought I'd add that we use MFW in high school and really love it. My oldest did AHL and WHL for 9th & 10th, but her being my firstborn guinea pig and me being wishy-washy, I tweaked it quite a bit. That made it a LOT harder than it had to be. :eyes: My 2nd dd just started AHL/9th grade two weeks ago and LOVES it. I'll be doing little to no tweaking for her. (And this was the child for whom I once thought there was no way she could do the amount of reading in MFW high school! She's come a long way in the past year or so. :) Still, I would get the books on audio if needed.)

MFW h.s. is written and laid out so efficiently, and is college prep material without being overwhelming. Love the hand-holding instruction that's included, love that my girls can take responsibility in this area and "just do it" with dh or me guiding as needed, love the fact that there are additional book choices if they want to read more than what's scheduled, love that Bible and Apologetics are a primary focus of the program before entering the "real world" out there, love that they are unapologetically Creationists (but use a lot of resources to teach what the other side is teaching, too), love the fact that the program knocks out three full credits each year, and love the fact that the MFW staff is available and extremely helpful when we get stuck.