PDA

View Full Version : Upper Level Math & Testing Questions

Tricia O
02-23-2013, 11:27 PM
Can you tell me what grades the following standardized tests are taken in, and which maths are best to have completed before taking these tests?

PSAT
SAT
ACT

I have heard that there are more of certain types of questions on the different tests. Does anyone know if this is true?

Susan Seaman
02-24-2013, 02:21 PM
The PSAT is taken in the fall of your junior year, though many take it for practice in 10th grade. Only the time you take it in 11th grade "counts" (towards being considered for a National Merit Scholarship).

The ACT and SAT can be taken any time in high school, but many folks wait until their senior year to take it. You can take it over and over and keep your highest score.

If you have completed Alg. I, Alg. II, Geometry and Trig., you should have all the possible question topics covered for the ACT. The SAT and PSAT do not have Trig. at all. The ACT math is harder in that its questions are based on more advanced math topics. But the SAT (and PSAT) tend to have more "tricky" questions in math.

Saxon is the only math curriculum that I have used. If you take Saxon Alg. I and II, you should have all the Geometry you need for the ACT without taking an extra Geometry course. And you will have most (but not all) of the Trig. you might need. Sometimes there are questions involving Trig. wave functions on the ACT (usually just one or two at most), and Saxon doesn't cover this until their Advanced Math course.

Hope this helps!