View Full Version : Spanish for High School

Hollie in SC
03-12-2013, 09:18 AM
There are so many different Spanish programs to choose from. :spin: And I've heard good/bad about most of them. :lol:
Our local university requires 3 years of the same foreign language for admissions from what I understand. I don't know if my boys will need to take it in college, but I would like for them to be prepared if they need to. :)

My oldest is very much of an auditory learner. However, I know that for college classes he will need a good grammar background as well.

I'd love to hear from experienced moms about the curriculum they've used and how their kids have done with it after homeschooling (placement tests, college classes, etc.).

Thank you!

Kim in IN
03-12-2013, 10:09 AM
Great questions Hollie! I have the same questions going through my mind so thank you for asking. I will be watching this thread as well.

Hollie in SC
03-12-2013, 10:39 AM
It looks like our local university (Clemson) only requires taking a language for certain majors.

I did want to add that if you've had good experience w/online language classes I'd like to hear more on that, too! Take THREE years is a pain. :lol: I imagine we might do 2 at home and one in community college. :spin:

Julie in AZ
03-12-2013, 02:23 PM
I'm curious to hear what others have to say as well. We are starting BJU's Spanish 1 Distance Learning (http://www.bjupresshomeschool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Spanish%201%20Online%20and%20Books_10151_-1_11201_2240546)(online videos can be viewed anytime) as a family. They offered a deal in December for $99.00. We have access until December 2013. My dh is taking the class too while he travels on the road. We've only completed a few lessons so I can't really give a review yet. I know it has been hard to fit into our schedule. :unsure:

Susan Seaman
03-12-2013, 02:52 PM
My daughter took Spanish at our local co-op. Even though she took it for two years, and it was supposed to be two credits, I really don't think it was rigorous enough. Also, when she got to college, two years of foreign language were required. I really wish she had taken Spanish as dual enrollment and not had to take more in college (where she chose to take German instead).

So I am planning on my 16yo son taking it at the local jr. college this year for dual enrollment.

We do have Rosetta Stone, and while I liked it, my kids really didn't that much. They did the first twenty lessons or so and stalled out. Perhaps I just wasn't diligent enough with it.

03-12-2013, 07:12 PM
DD18 used Rosetta Stone French for one year and barely learned anything. But she is a visual learner and probably would have done better with a text and worksheets in addition to the audio component on the computer. We didn't have the homeschool version so we didn't have anything on paper.

DD16 is in the second level of Rosetta Stone Spanish and seems to be doing better with it than DD18 did. She seems to be learning as much as what my public-school mom friends report is being learned at school. She will take a year of Spanish as a dual-enrollment student next year. Hopefully she will pick it up well. She wants to go into missions, so I'd like her language skills to be strong, even if she will eventually have to pick up an entirely different language.