PDA

View Full Version : Bird Watching?/Jane, You Mentioned...

Paige P
05-23-2007, 12:38 PM
We have a good number of birds out and about around our new house, and the kids are fascinated with them. I believe at a conference I heard Jane say that you could either contact the Aubudon Society or your County Extension Agent and get some information (free or do you buy it?) about birds indigenous to your area. Am I completely off base? Has anyone done this? Who do I contact?

Thanks from a future bird-watching family :D

Holly S
05-23-2007, 12:44 PM
I found some resources by searching websites of state wildlife organizations for the state we're moving to. I think the Fish and Game organization might have some information.

Angela Paige
05-23-2007, 01:28 PM
Paige,
We've gotten into bird watching here at my parents' home. It is on a riverbank and there is just so much birdlife! My kids and I can now identify probably 15 species of bird by sight. We love birds!

Do contact your local county extention office, as well as the fish and game dept. YOu should be able to get some free brochures and pamphlets from them.

Also, look at a bookstore or on amazon for a bird identification book for your area. My parents have one specifically on Louisiana birds and another on birds of the Southeastern USA. It's really nice to be able to look at well-done pictures of the birds for aid in identifying. There is usually even a picture of the kind of nest and what the eggs might look like. Very, very handy.

Happy bird-watching!
Paige

Jane Claire
05-23-2007, 06:07 PM
Paige,

Yes! I did say that by contacting your state or county wildlife or conservation agencies you might find great information about the birds that will actually be in your own back yard! Where we live these colored brochures are free. I gather them on all types of wildlife, insects, flowers, rocks, etc. and three hole punch them and keep them in a binder.

Each state is different and I'm certainly not opposed to having regular wildlife field guides, I just know that for the exact birds that you will see the most often, the indigenous materials are great.

I know that I've eagerly watched birds and learned so much about them since I was five or so. It's amazing...I'm still watching and learning! This is a wonderful subject to inspire your children! :clap:

Wendy in SW MS
05-23-2007, 08:04 PM
Oh, we are loving the wildlife here, in my folks' yard!! We have birdfeeders, bird baths, and squirrel feeders (--for the squirrels, raccoons, and flying squirrels!--We even had an oppossum up there once!)!

I'll have to check into the wildlife angency or something to see if I can find some brochures on the local "critters"!

Kendra AU
05-24-2007, 05:11 AM
We've had a blast identifying the birds in our new surroundings. To us they are exotic and what we'd normally see in a pet shop! We lug around our birdbook a bit more then normal, but animal identification books happen to be my six year olds favorite at the moment so..

We've made calls to our conservation agency in the past while living in TN, and he was always eager to answer our numerous questions. All though he did wonder how exactly we'd come to have three box turtles living in an old bathtub with a handful of hermit crabs..

Kendra

Kendall in GA
05-24-2007, 06:13 AM
Has anyone done this?

No. Alternatively, I purchased a book about birds native to our area (Georgia) from B&N. It is a huge hit! :thumb: It's accurate, full of photos and pretty thorough. We have 3 feeders and my dd has become quite a little orinthologist (sp?). (She knows way more about birds that I ever care to know! :eyes: )

Enjoy!

Heather W
05-24-2007, 06:37 AM
Paige- in NY those brochures are now available on line. You might check the Department of Natural Resources website for your state and see what you can find.

I've seen hard copies all over, but when I checked our site I didn't see a place to request them to be mailed. I just know I can print it whenever I would like one.

YoLanda
05-24-2007, 05:55 PM
http://www.ebird.org/content/About/WhatIsEbird.html

eBird || North America's destination for birding on
> the Web

might this help?

shalomew
05-24-2007, 07:07 PM
For Christmas I got a bird book for my area ( Minnesota) that also had 2 cd's with the songs/calls of all the different bird species in the book. It is great! My hubby said he got it at our local Wild Bird Store. Our store also has talks and guided hikes etc...a great resource!

Maybe you are lucky enough to have a similar store in your area.

Paige P
05-24-2007, 08:06 PM
Yolanda, the link didn't work. Is there something messed up with it? I'd love to check the site out.

For an update, today we went by the County Extension Office and picked up lots of flyers on birds, trees (and a whole book on AL trees, their leaves, fruit, etc -- really neat!), some wildlife, etc. They were a great source.

I've also heard that the DNR here has a lot of info. I just haven't made it there yet. Their local website has tons of info, but it would be WAY too much to print out (in color, nonetheless), so I'm hoping that they'll have flyers, as well, that I can just grab.

The kids are THRILLED to have so much info at our fingertips.

By the way, reading about the bird sounds cd reminded me of our "new" clock. The previous owners of our house left us an outside clock (it's on the patio, so we can "hear" it in the kitchen) that is a "bird" clock, and every hour it points to a different bird, which this makes "his" chirp. The kids are enjoying learning the different sounds.

Fun, fun, fun!

Celia
05-25-2007, 09:56 AM
Paige,

Just an FYI, but my favorite bird identification site is What Bird? (http://identify.whatbird.com/mwg/_/0/attrs.aspx) With a few clicks of the button, you can narrow down your choices and identify that bird the kids just saw!

My oldest is taking Ohio Birds as her 4H project this year. You might see if your local exentsion office has a 4H birds book for your state. Lots of good info and ideas to use.

Her project has been fun for us all, including me. Here are some pictures (http://www.whatbird.com/forums/photos/ohio%5Fbirds%5F4h%5Fproject/) that I took of what we see at our bird feeder regularly.

Paige P
05-25-2007, 11:01 AM
Thanks Celia! It looks like a great site!

YoLanda
05-25-2007, 02:26 PM
Paige,

just try ebird.org and you'll get it.