PDA

View Full Version : High school Latin?

Tricia O
03-16-2013, 11:49 PM
If you have taught Latin for high school credit, what program did you use? How much prior experience did you or your child have with Latin. What do you think about the curriculum you used?

Becky in CA
03-17-2013, 11:03 AM
Latin's Not So Tough :thumb: You can see samples at CBD. All three of my kids have used it. They recommend starting at Level 3 for older kids.

The only prior Latin knowledge I had was in voice training and choral pieces, so I had a pretty good handle on pronunciation.

Tricia O
03-17-2013, 01:29 PM
Forgot to mention that I took one year of Latin in high school in 10th grade.

Robin in Colorado
03-18-2013, 10:06 AM
We haven't done it yet but are looking strongly at The Latin Road to English Grammar.

Tricia O
05-18-2013, 07:35 PM
Does anyone else have anything to share with regard to Latin for high school? In particular, I am interested in any comparison and/or contrast between Hinle's Latin, Latin's Not So Tough, and First Form Latin. This would be for 9th grade. We may only do one year of Latin followed by two years of Spanish, although we may opt for a second year of Latin, depending upon how the first year goes. Thanks for any advice!

Linda
05-20-2013, 08:40 AM
My daughter just finished her first year w/ Wheelock's Latin (http://wheelockslatin.com/). However, she took this through an online class, so I wasn't the one teaching it! :lol:

She did great, didn't find it difficult at all. It's a no nonsense/frills strong latin course. She has a natural ability for languages though, which probably helps. :)

Looking at their website I do see they have more go along products. My daughter only used the Wheelock text book and then Cambridge Latin I & II student texts and 38 Latin Stories for translating.