PDA

View Full Version : Writing Help Again, Please

Ginger Lynn
03-18-2013, 07:33 PM
Back in Nov. 2011, I asked for suggestion for my DS that doesn't know how to write a paper. Since then we have tried Hands On Essays and Winning with Writing. He is no better off then when he started these. So, now where should we go? Last time i asked, many suggested IEW. If we went that way, where should we start? Some said Writing With Skill and others said Write Shop. He wants to go off to college in three more years. So what would you recommend to help him get ready or really learn how to write a paper? TIA

Hope
03-18-2013, 09:36 PM
I have been using WriteShop with my reluctant writer, but I am thinking of using these books when my kids are finished with WriteShop I. Essays and Research Reports Levels A & B are what I am interested in for my current high schoolers. I used the Book Reports volume with my kids one year and really liked it.

http://www.thefathersbooks.com/subjects/writing.html

CINDY LB OH
03-19-2013, 08:57 PM
What part of the writing process do you think trips him up the most?

Ginger Lynn
03-19-2013, 09:17 PM
What part of the writing process do you think trips him up the most?

The whole thing. :unsure: I think part of it is is the fact the doesn't think he can't write so he doesn't. For example, if he had to write three descriptive sentences about a boys shirt it would be, "The boy's shirt is blue. It's long sleeved. The shirt has buttons." That would also be his paragraph. I am at a loss.

Becky in CA
03-19-2013, 10:04 PM
You might benefit from using Wordsmith. My VERY reluctant ds is using it pretty willingly. It starts off teaching them how to substitute every part of speech with more detailed substitutes. They will give you a few sentences with a word underlined, and you need to substitute a better word for the one underlined. They don't even have to come up with their own sentences...just words which suit the sentences better. They can freely use a thesaurus and dictionary as resources. If you haven't looked at it, there are samples at CBD and at cspress.com. (We use it with LLATL.)

Ginger Lynn
03-20-2013, 08:26 AM
Becky~which Wordsmith would you recommended starting with?

Becky in CA
03-20-2013, 11:39 AM
If they can start with the regular Wordsmith, that would probably work well. If Wordsmith Apprentice looks more appealing and would get him more willing to write, I'd start there instead. My ds used the Apprentice a few years ago and just wasn't ready yet for the regular level, but now he is. I would NOT start with Craftsman. You don't even have to do it every day. We do it almost every day. When the eyes start to glaze over looking at the amount of writing that is required for one exercise, I will break it into two days. My goal is to have him write even if it's a sentence or two. Don't tell, but a few days he actually did more than I thought he would. ;)

Ginger Lynn
03-20-2013, 01:43 PM
Thank you Becky. I will check into it.

Can I post my question in the Three R's if it is here or is that against the rules? I thought I might get some more response over there.

Steph
03-20-2013, 02:42 PM
One of my boys doesn't like to write. He will be in 9th grade. I have found that sitting with him and patiently going through the writing process with him time and time again is helping more than another curriculum.
We use Hands On Essay. We'll sit down together and say we are doing a compare/contrast essay. I will help him brainstorm ideas, then organize his thoughts. I like an outline but the web makes more sense to him. We generally take a break after this part and then do the writing the next day. I help him think through a thesis statement and start organizing paragraphs using his web.

I really think some kids just need lots of one on one time to get the writing process down. Also, sometimes getting someone else to teach/tutor in writing helps. I have tutored several kids with writing and it usually boils down to the kid just not clicking with mom on this one topic. I hope you can find what works for you.

Hollie in SC
03-20-2013, 03:09 PM
For IEW, Student Writing Intensive C is suggested for his age.

However, I'd suggest joining their yahoo group ( http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/loop ) and tell them all you have told us and ask for advice. It is a VERY busy group BUT they have always been extremely helpful when I have asked questions.

My oldest is 14 and we've seen a lot of progress in his 3 years with the program.