PDA

View Full Version : Classical conversations for high school?

Esther-Alabama
03-21-2013, 03:14 PM
Any experiences would be welcome. This would be for my oldest ds, who has great difficulty reading, writing, and spelling (dyslexic and dysgraphic), so please take that into account in your advice. There is a new community nearby me is year and they are beginning a high school level next year.

Susan Seaman
03-21-2013, 06:16 PM
I have lots of friends who do CC and at least one who tried it with her high school age daughter. It seems a bit daunting for all but the academically gifted to just jump in. If you are schooled that way from a young age, I don't think it would be all that hard, but it's difficult to jump into high school. My friend's daughter completed one year, but she didn't go back.
It is also quite costly.

Paige P
03-21-2013, 08:57 PM
Agreeing with Susan. I've heard great things about it, but it is tough. Several of my coop students are in it, and they have a lot of work, including lots of writing. A couple of moms have asked me about joining and teaching, but its not for me at this stage of life with my littles. But, based on the fact that they'd think my high school English style would fit, I'd say it would be challenging.

I know they welcome visitors, and we have a group here that meets on Tuesdays. You'd be less than hour away..... ;).

KarenF
03-21-2013, 09:08 PM
All groups that I have encountered have allowed you to go & visit. It is rigorous, especially if you haven't done it all the way through. I knew a high school girl who loved it, but her workload seemed too much to me.

Esther-Alabama
03-21-2013, 10:30 PM
Thank y'all for this info. This is exactly what I've thought about CC. While it looks very interesting and certainly a good education, I don't think CC will be a good fit for this particular child.

Nedra in California
05-05-2013, 01:34 PM
I have lots of friends who do CC and at least one who tried it with her high school age daughter. It seems a bit daunting for all but the academically gifted to just jump in. If you are schooled that way from a young age, I don't think it would be all that hard, but it's difficult to jump into high school. My friend's daughter completed one year, but she didn't go back.
It is also quite costly.

My opinion exactly.

DD in IL
05-17-2013, 01:41 PM
You don't have to do the full CC curriculum. DGS going into 9th grade is doing the Econ/Am Gov and Physical Sci with CC since we had not done Latin and we don't use Saxon.....which in the high school levels you don't have to go with the Saxon. There are CC Practicums starting this month and go until August. They are free for the parent. You can check out the books, talk to others, etc while you are there. It is a very educational seminar and helps explains a lot. Check their website to find a practicum near you. I know there is a bit of writing in the Essentials but that is for younger. Most of this year's classes have probably ended, otherwise you could have gone to an open house and sat in on the classes. Most groups have an informational meeting near the area you live too.

laurie in ok
06-13-2013, 05:31 PM
We have some friends in it and looked into it as well. It can be very daunting in deed! I know Andie's friend who is an eighth grader this year, but very advanced, was writing 10 page papers at the end of the school year. The last week he had three long papers due, a presentation, and a book review. Not to mention in class finals. :eek: I know it would be way too much for my dd. He is doing Latin over the summer because he couldn't get to it during the year.