View Full Version : Finishing up Beyond

Jennifer in VA
03-26-2013, 02:44 PM
Hi all -

Simon is still loving Beyond and we're into our last volume. We'll probably finish up just one title this year and have 3 left for next; although part of me wants to school over the summer to help get him caught up a bit on the Language Arts/Writing side.

What would you use to, part way through 8th grade, for literature type work, once we've finished Beyond? Pick out books off the many lists out there and work through it like FIAR/Beyond are set up? Know there are a number of books we haven't gotten to yet, that might work. Also sketching out high school so I don't dip into those titles to soon.

03-26-2013, 03:18 PM
I'm not familiar with the beyond program, but one idea before high school is to look into some biographies of scientists or poems/works of authors that he will be learning about in high school. At that age my son really enjoyed biography books.

Michelle Pfeifer
03-26-2013, 11:27 PM
I moved my oldest into Sonlight when he finished Beyond. We had two books to finish at the beginning of his 7th grade year and went into their one year world history starting in December of 2011. I did feel the need to switch out one of their titles for a different book and found study guide questions here (http://thebestnotes.com/) .

I know others use Ambleside Online, which may be more of what you are looking for.

03-27-2013, 11:11 AM
I used this Lightning Literature for junior high and some of high school.

Hollie in SC
03-27-2013, 12:35 PM
We've been using Lighting Lit for 7th and 8th grade. Eli has requested Lit Lessons from Lord of the Rings for next year.

Kyle is finished w/Beyond and working through Hitty to finish out the year. We forgot :blush: to do it with Eli and he is really enjoying the studies.

Progeny Press and Total Language Plus (I think those are the ones) have literature studies if you want to just pick up a few books next year to fill in the time.

Leslie Nelsen
03-27-2013, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the link to Lightening Lit. We are trying to figure out what we are doing next year with my boys that are finishing Beyond. Considering doing some of our own units Beyond style. This looks like a nice collection though! :D And the work is already done!

Robin in Colorado
03-28-2013, 08:33 AM
Belle enjoyed her time in Hitty. She worked on it independently and learned a lot.

Jodi B
03-28-2013, 01:23 PM
We're finishing up BYFIAR for Josh as well (where's the sobbing emoticon?) and we'll be moving on to Ambleside Online (he looked at Hitty and determined it was too 'girly' for him :lol: ) ... he's really interested in writing, so AO will be a good fit for him, I think.

Tricia O
03-29-2013, 10:11 AM
Our oldest will begin Sonlight Core W in 8th grade. She loves to read & I think this will be a great fit for her. We tried Lightning Lit last year & although I liked it, I didn't really like that she only read 4 books over the course of a year. We needed something for her with more books, but that were scheduled out already for us so we can stay on track & actually get them read. I just started prereading her books for this coming year & I think it will be great. :) I also really like that the history & literature are combined. If you already have something in mind for history, then Lightning Literature may be a better fit.

Jennifer in VA
04-01-2013, 06:03 AM
I've been looking at Ambelside Online for their suggested reading lists, by grade. I might just pick out, from 7th and 8th, so of the "classics" and work through those. Think all the books are pretty good, but we're still working through a lot of processing glitches, so need to pare it down and prep as much as possible for high school.

Tricia- thanks, however we used Sonlight our first year (second grade) and it was overwhelming. Could have been nerves of first year homeschooling, not understanding and know Simon's learning glitches, or it could have been the idea of "have to do it exactly as written or I will have failed" idea, but not sure if we'll try Sonlight again.