PDA

View Full Version : Considering putting together my own curriculum

Cindy K
04-02-2013, 10:28 AM
This would be a complete Language Arts/Character curriculum for my ds 13. I want to use biographies of inspiring men. He needs this. Can someone give me a few biography titles? Thank you.

Miranda.in.WA
04-02-2013, 02:43 PM
My 15yr old says Team of Rivals. Its about Abraham Lincoln and he says its really, really good. When I asked if he actually read it all, he said, "well, most of it" :)

He also liked Tear Down This Wall. Its about Ronald Regan and he actual read all of this one.

Then he said, read Job and the book of Acts, those are good biographies as well. My son amazes me sometimes when we talk. Now if I could just get him to actually unload the top and bottom rack of the dishwasher when he's supossed to clean the kitchen...or start the dryer when he's told to wash a load of laundry...sigh...

Jodi B
04-02-2013, 03:51 PM
Frederick Douglass (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/narrative-of-the-life-of-frederick-douglass-an-american-slave-frederick-douglass/1100223913?ean=9781593080419)

Margaret Thatcher -- either The Iron Lady or Margaret Thatcher in Her Own Words

The Federalist Papers is offering a bunch of biographies for free (PDF format): http://www.thefederalistpapers.org/american-history

CINDY LB OH
04-02-2013, 06:29 PM
What about something by Dr. Ben Carson (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_14?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dr.+ben+carson+books&sprefix=Dr.+Ben+Carson%2Caps%2C184), since he's in the news right now for standing up for what he believes. :thumb:
What an amazing, and inspirational man.

Heather W
04-02-2013, 08:10 PM
I second Team of Rivals- it's a giant book, but a good one.

George Washington's Sacred Fire

Founding Brothers- an overview of the nine men involved with the Declaration of Independence (greatbook)

Gifted Hands is about Ben Carson (who is set to retire this summer according to news outlets)

CS Lewis- Surprised by Joy? He led a really difficult life early on just as a warning.

That's just a quick list. My 14yo is reading through the Founding Fathers this year. Good stuff.

Lindsey Carter
04-04-2013, 09:31 PM
How about adding in a few missionary titles...
Peace Child is a classic
I was so inspired by J Hudson Taylor: A Man In Christ that I named my son Hudson. It's a bit heavy at times so you might want to read and discuss it
Another great book
The Hiding Place has a strong male character, but he isn't the central character. Still, this autobiography is deeply moving and filled with practical spiritual insight.
I plan to listen to an audiobook about Dietrich Bonehoffer with my son this year. I think he would be a great man to read about.

Cindy K
04-05-2013, 02:12 PM
Thank you, everyone! I'll check these out!

Heather W
04-05-2013, 05:00 PM
Another series I thought of- especially nice if he is a reluctant reader is Christian Heroes Then and Now. They are quick, fun reads and if nothing else will show off a lot of interesting lives lived for Christ.

Another idea: a friend of mine is teaching a co-op class called "Horatio at the Bridge" My 10yo is taking it. She made it up to be for tween boys and it's all about men who stand in the gap. So, they learned the story of Horatio and they are doing all sorts of maps of Rome and other projects. All the while, they are hearing more stories of men who have stood in the gap. For example, they learned about the man who helped get people to safety when the plane crashed and hit the 14th St bridge in DC years ago- ice on the wings. He kept helping others to get up on the ladder and when it was his turn, he had gone under the water. He didn't make it.

Anyway, LOTS of good character training for young men.