PDA

View Full Version : Economics and Government

Ginger Lynn
04-13-2013, 06:22 PM
Can you tell me what your DC uses or used for these? What grade did they do these subject? And any pros and cons? Thanks!

Merrilee Morse
04-13-2013, 07:07 PM
I used the Sonlight materials, and I do NOT recommend them. I understand they have changed some things, so it might now be so bad. One book that was decent was Lies My Teacher Told Me, and another that was good was Never Before in History. But Basic American Government was so dull as to be mind numbing. DJ did it in his junior year and Ryan is doing it now, but we are going lite. I am still looking for a decent non-mind numbing American Government text :lol:

Becky in CA
04-13-2013, 07:18 PM
I've used Painless American Government with my dd before we got our ACE paces. She enjoyed both. (I can't remember what I used with my oldest. :unsure:)

Linda
04-13-2013, 07:22 PM
My kids are going through TeenPact (http://teenpact.com/), three years = one gov't credit (but that's not why they keep going back, they love it. :thumb: ).

They also read the gov't books from Ambleside Online's schedule (note, we haven't read all of these yet and they go from yr 7-12, so the earlier ones are for younger students and get progressively more difficult down the list. :) ):
Whatever Happened to Penny Candy by Richard Maybury
Whatever Happened to Justice by Richard Maybury
Are You Liberal, Conservative, Confused? by Richard Maybury
The English Constitution by Walter Bagehot
Common Sense by Thomas Paine
Essays by Jane Haldimand Marcet
The Rights of Man by Thomas Paine
Reflections on the Revolution in France by Edmund Burke
Evaluating Books: What Would Thomas Jefferson Think About This? by Richard Maybury
The Law by Frederic Bastiat
The Vision on the Anointed: Self-congratulation as the Basis for Public Policy by Thomas Sowell
On Liberty by John Stuart Mill
Graves of Academe by Richard Mitchell
Economics in One Lesson by Henry Hazlitt
Autobiography of a Slander by Edna Lyall
Books by Marvin Olasky
Psychology of Seduction by William Kirk Kilpatrick
Slouching Towards Gomorrah by Robert Bork
Race and Culture by Thomas Sowell
The Road to Serfdom by F.A. Hayek

Emily, my oldest, took Omnibus III primary and secondary through Veritas Scholars Academy this year. These are the books they went through that seemed to deal w/ gov't/econ: The Federalist Papers, The Anti Federalist Papers, Of Plymouth Plantation, The Social Contract, The Communist Manifesto, Mein Kampf, Reflections on the Revolution in France.

Cindy K
04-14-2013, 07:38 AM
This is something small, but I started watching the youtube video, Constitution for Dummies by Judge Napolitano. I think I'll have my dc watch it. He also has some other videos I haven't checked out yet. I guess this could be a good introduction/jumping off point.

Rachel Jane
04-14-2013, 07:55 AM
http://www.bluestockingpress.com/product75.html

This is what we used when L was in 9th and J was in 11th.

Ginger Lynn
04-14-2013, 12:52 PM
Thanks ladies. I'll check all this out.

http://www.bluestockingpress.com/product75.html

This is what we used when L was in 9th and J was in 11th.

Rachel, do you have to have the guides for these or can you get by with just the books? And is there a lesson plan that goes with them or are you just on your own? Thanks for the help.

Rachel Jane
04-14-2013, 12:57 PM
Thanks ladies. I'll check all this out.

Rachel, do you have to have the guides for these or can you get by with just the books? And is there a lesson plan that goes with them or are you just on your own? Thanks for the help.
There are workbooks that go with some of the books, and a few of the books have questions at the end of the chapters. I remember the boys doing them in a suggested order, but not necessarily a lesson plan.

Ginger Lynn
04-14-2013, 02:47 PM
Thanks Rachel. :)

Marcia
04-14-2013, 08:18 PM
I used Notgrass Economics and Government:
http://www.notgrass.com/notgrass/homeschool-curriculum-high-school/

Steph
04-15-2013, 01:40 PM
My son used Notgrass for Gov't. this year.
Easy for me to grade
Comes from a Christian point of view
Good discussion/essay questions
Love having the book of documents for extra reading
Planned out and easy for ds to follow lessons

Dislikes:
None that I can think of

Rebe
04-15-2013, 10:06 PM
My son used Notgrass for Gov't. this year.
Easy for me to grade
Comes from a Christian point of view
Good discussion/essay questions
Love having the book of documents for extra reading
Planned out and easy for ds to follow lessons

Dislikes:
None that I can think of

Ditto!

My ds wants to do a semester of political science next year. So I'm making up my own class called Contemporary Issues (because it's not going to be just politics). We're going to use 3 Uncle Eric books (I got the workbooks, too, just in case we need them, or part of them). We're adding this book:
http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/008690/5a0fc2e4e4f3d9570f797acd
And he'll be reading the paper every day, too.

Steph, he wants to do a military history/strategy class for the other semester -- I'm going to contact you at some point to find out what you're doing!

Ginger Lynn
04-16-2013, 08:47 AM
Thank you ladies. I gues it's between Notgrass and Bluestocking. Leaning towards Bluestocking!

Steph
04-16-2013, 01:13 PM
Ditto!

My ds wants to do a semester of political science next year. So I'm making up my own class called Contemporary Issues (because it's not going to be just politics). We're going to use 3 Uncle Eric books (I got the workbooks, too, just in case we need them, or part of them). We're adding this book:
http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/008690/5a0fc2e4e4f3d9570f797acd
And he'll be reading the paper every day, too.

Steph, he wants to do a military history/strategy class for the other semester -- I'm going to contact you at some point to find out what you're doing!

That would be great, Rebe. I still don't have a clear, well laid out class but I'm working on it. This has by far been the hardest class I've ever tried to put together.

I would love for Notgrass to offer a military class. We have loved nearly all of their upper level classes.

Hollie in SC
06-10-2013, 10:04 AM
There are workbooks that go with some of the books, and a few of the books have questions at the end of the chapters. I remember the boys doing them in a suggested order, but not necessarily a lesson plan.

Any answer keys for busy moms or do we have to dig through it with them? :)

Rachel Jane
06-10-2013, 10:58 AM
Some of them have answers, some do not.

laurie in ok
06-13-2013, 05:25 PM
I taught a govt class at our co-op and used Notgrass along with two Uncle Eric books. It was great! I had the kids bring in an news article each week, read and take notes over the Notgrass text and write a review over the two Uncle Eric books. The class was a hit with the kids and the parents.