PDA

View Full Version : Can You Help w/a Science Plan Please

Ginger Lynn
04-16-2013, 08:37 AM
Our state has no graduation requirement for HS students and the college my DS is going to has none either. So could you tell me if you think this first Science plan is OK, or if the second one would be better. If it helps, he wants to teach elementary school.

Plan one: (strange order, I know:unsure:)
9th - Anatomy
10th - Physical Science
11th- Biology
12th- Marine biology

Plan two:
9th - Anatomy
10th- Biology
11th-Chemistry
12th-Marine biology
GLPerky

Linda
04-16-2013, 12:33 PM
What curriculum were you looking at for science? I ask because, typically, highschool Anatomy is a higher level course and a foundation in basic biology is required to fully understand the advanced concepts applied in anatomy.

Other than that, I think either is fine based off his interests. :)

My oldest's schedule:
Biology - she finished this in 8th (will count towards highschool)
Chem - 9th
Physics - 10th

and then I don't know what for the remaining two years! :roflol: At the moment, she wants to major in physics. If she still has that desire after taking physics ;), we'll probably switch to CC science classes for her last two years at home.

My next dd, who is not science or math minded will probably follow a very laid back science schedule.
Earth Science for 9th
Biology for 10th
Chem for 11th

We use a lot of living books to supplement all of their science texts (we use apologia). All of my kids really like reading the books about the scientists behind the discoveries they are learning in the text books.

Ginger Lynn
04-16-2013, 01:19 PM
Linda,

We used Apologia and something else, can't think of it right now,:eyes: for Anatomy. We would probably use ACE for Biology, just because we already have it. And Apologia for the other two.

Plan 1 is based of his interest, but if something else would be better that's the way I want to go.

Miranda.in.WA
04-16-2013, 01:26 PM
My dd LOVED anatomy in High school...but my boys wouldn't (and won't go near it).

We also used Apologia and this has been our basic course of action:
9th Physical
10th Biology
11th Chemistry
12th...depending on which science was their favorite, they would go that direction. For my dd it was Anatomy, for my older ds it was AP Chemistry, for my younger ds15, it will probably be along the Physical science spectrum...but things can change.

Laura JL
04-16-2013, 01:51 PM
Linda,

We used Apologia and something else, can't think of it right now,:eyes: for Anatomy. We would probably use ACE for Biology, just because we already have it. And Apologia for the other two.

Plan 1 is based of his interest, but if something else would be better that's the way I want to go.

If using the Apologia Anatomy (I'm assuming you mean The Human Body fearfully and wonderfully made curriculum), then I would think you needed to complete Biology first. I don't know anything about ACE Biology -- but I know that the Apologia Human Body is designed as an advanced bio course and expects that the student has covered high school biology prior to taking the course. They actually recommend that the student have also completed high school chemistry.

I know for my kiddos -- oldest took honors science courses through the public school and his were: Physical Science -- 9th; Biology and a 2nd course of Adv Earth Science in 10th; 11th was Chemistry and a 2nd course that I can't recall; then 12th was AP Bio which covered bio and A & P

DD (not using Apologia) has also done 9th - physical science; 10th - Bio; 11th - Chemistry and 12th she'll either take A&P (Apologia) or will just do duel enrollment.
middle DS is doing physical science(not using Apologia) in 8th; Bio in 9th; Chemistry in 10th so he can do duel enrollment for 11th/12th.