PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone started Sonlight for High School?

Alice R
04-17-2013, 11:42 AM
I liked our literature based studies with FIAR! We are in 9th grade and we are floundering around...I can't seem to find a direction and stick with it. :eyes:

Would it be good for high school? Is it literature based like it says? Does it flow from FIAR easily?

Tricia O
04-17-2013, 03:08 PM
We haven't started yet, but this is definitely the direction we have decided upon. :) I am interested in what others have to say as well. :)

Kendra AU
04-18-2013, 05:21 AM
We have, but keep in mind that highschool starts sooner in Tasmania then in most places. :)

Having said that we enjoy it. We've had no issues going from FIAR to SL with our eldest. We aren't using the official SL HighSchool cores yet, because like I said HS starts at a younger grade here then it does in most places. So while our son is in "highschool" here, he'd barely be in middle school in the US. :)

Laura F
04-18-2013, 07:48 AM
Curious, too. 3 years to go for us, but I've always nixed SL because of the sheer number of books involved.

Rachel Jane
04-18-2013, 08:20 AM
I did winter promise after FIAR. My family loved it.

- - - Updated - - -

http://winterpromise.com/

We did Winterpromise after ABFIAR. We used the themed programs but not the language pieces.
My family enjoyed the books and we read a loud together far into the high school years.

Shelly L
04-18-2013, 08:40 AM
My family enjoyed the books and we read a loud together far into the high school years.

I love to hear that!!! :clap: We are dabbling in Sonlight right now, and I'm thinking about it for high school, but not totally sure yet. I know that's no help, but I felt like jumping in!

Merrilee Morse
04-18-2013, 10:52 AM
As someone who has done Sonlight for a long time, I just wanted to comment that the number of books IS overwhelming, especially with a slow reader like I have in Ryan. For this reason, I go over the book lists and very carefully pick and choose the very best quality of what is available, that I think Ryan can reasonably be expected to read in a school year. And yes, I still do read alouds with him!

Miranda.in.WA
04-18-2013, 11:50 AM
My son did core 100 last year. The number of books are huge, but that has its own benefits. For me, I found it hard to keep up with the discussion questions. But...I also has 3 under 4yrs when we started sonlight. We chose not to continue with sonlight this year.

Alice R
04-18-2013, 01:38 PM
Yeah, this is what worries me. It's no secret that I'm disorganized. Can I keep up??? But on the other hand, maybe something like that would be good for us.
It might force me to keep up!

It's a lot of money if it doesn't work out!

Why is it I've been homeschooling for so many years and am STILL having curriculum issues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WendyW
04-18-2013, 03:07 PM
I've not used it regularly, but one year dd used the 9th grade history. They have totally rearranged their courses since then, so particulars probably don't apply, but I will caution you to carefully read and consider their list of reasons NOT to use SL. They really do mean it.

The manual was combined, containing both History and Language Arts. Although we didn't use the LA, I did look through it. Their expectations were much higher than those of the college prep private school that I attended, and our LA teacher had previously been a college professor. Having her in high school automatically got you credit for freshman English at several area colleges. All that to say that SL LA expectations are very high, and that should be considered against your child's strengths and weaknesses.

Paige P
04-18-2013, 03:12 PM
I'm using it somewhat :perplex: (kinda fell off the wagon -- it's been a crazy year with moving, settling, etc., and I just stopped a little bit ago, hoping that I'd be able to work with both girls on it together next year -- I'm struggling with that, too, Alice), but it's not high school --we're still at the middle school level. The book choices are GREAT :thumb: but there are a lot! I have a good friend who uses it for high school (she actually used FIAR with her kids until there was nothing else for them to do with FIAR, then moved to SL with them). Her oldest is a very slow and methodical reader, and she's wedded through the list for him and picked out a more manageable number that she felt was appropriate for him. There's nothing that says you can't take any curriculum and make it work for you.

Tricia O
04-18-2013, 10:32 PM
We aren't really planning to use the Sonlight LA at this point as we have other plans for LA already. :)

Leslie Nelsen
04-19-2013, 03:03 PM
We haven't used it, but if you want other suggestions for thoughts on high school, feel free to ask. There are lots of great options. Thanks for mentioning Winter promise RJ, I'm going to go look at that. :)

Alice R
04-19-2013, 08:50 PM
Leslie, I will start a new thread! :D

Tricia in TX
04-19-2013, 08:53 PM
I uesd SL in Middle School and the lower high school grades with my boys. One suggestion I will give you is AUDIO BOOKS!! That made a huge difference in being able to keep up. Any books we could get in audio we did.

Kendra AU
04-20-2013, 05:27 AM
Yeah, this is what worries me. It's no secret that I'm disorganized. Can I keep up??? But on the other hand, maybe something like that would be good for us.
It might force me to keep up!

It's a lot of money if it doesn't work out!

Why is it I've been homeschooling for so many years and am STILL having curriculum issues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It depends on what you mean by "keep up". Everything is scheduled for you by days & weeks. You can choose to pay attention to just the days or the weeks or both. We've had no issue keeping up. Our family is always reading, reading, reading. So we've had no issue with the schedules we've used with SL or the amount of scheduled reading. My eldest is a very slow reader due to his lovely SSS, but it hasn't caused us issues where we are.

We also have used {& are using} Winter Promise. We've loved that as well. They are very, very similar to SL. In fact I've compared them before too. :)

Basically if you want a lighter schedule with more hands on you'd probably prefer Winter Promise BUT if your child is more into reading then hands on SL is the better choice. We like a mixture of both as Winter Promise no longer supplies literature with their Cores. They do have a "suggested" list, but it's quite reduced to what it once was. Thus we like to use their non-fiction hands on items & SL's literature choices. For our family it's the perfect combo. :D

ETA: You can always download their 3 week sample to have a go at seeing how it would work for you. Their samples are a good indication of how their Cores run for both SL & WP. :D

Alice R
04-23-2013, 03:07 PM
I'm probably wrong but I always thought Sonlight was very structured. Day #67 do this. Day #68 do that. I'm often off schedule completely (due to work mostly which really upsets me but that's another post) so highlighting the off schedule-ness of my life makes me :crazy: Ya know?

Please correct me if I'm wrong! I'd love to be wrong because I think we are ready for a Sonlight (Or Winter Promise) adventure at this point. My son is taking an IEW class and his writing has improved so much...we are ready to read and essay write etc. Before? He wasn't ready and it would've been a lot of arguing. He has matured academically so much this year. I wanna strike when the iron is hot! :lol:

Shelly L
04-23-2013, 03:48 PM
When I used Sonlight for kindergarten, or tried to (this was before I understood the beauty and completeness of FIAR!), I got off schedule almost immediately. I was new at the whole business and it drove me nuts to be on one week in this subject and another week in that, etc. I finally decided it was not for us, but I liked it well enough to say that I was going to come back to it someday. Well, this year I am using it as a way to further our Am. History studies, plus get some good books read in the process. I am not worrying about what week I am on in regard to the school year, but I'm finding it isn't so hard to stay within the same week with all the materials. I'm having to omit some things and streamline a bit, but I'm much more "okay" with that than I was 7 years ago. All that to say that if you can let yourself not have to "do it all" and just strive to make the curriculum work for you, it is manageable.

Have you looked into things like "Heart of Dakota" or "My Fathers World?"

Merrilee Morse
04-23-2013, 06:32 PM
Alice, you are correct; it IS very structured, and exactly as you stated. Not by day, but a certain number of things need to be accomplished in a weeks time. It is up to you, the instructor, to determine what days you do which things on, and how many days you want for your school week (some parents only school a four day week, leaving one day for field trips and volunteer stuff, etc.). Personally, I don't buy the instructor's Guide anymore, I just make my own schedule :D

Joy in Alabama
04-23-2013, 07:58 PM
Alice, you are correct; it IS very structured, and exactly as you stated. Not by day, but a certain number of things need to be accomplished in a weeks time. It is up to you, the instructor, to determine what days you do which things on, and how many days you want for your school week (some parents only school a four day week, leaving one day for field trips and volunteer stuff, etc.). Personally, I don't buy the instructor's Guide anymore, I just make my own schedule :D

So, Merrilee, I haven't used SL, but my friend does. If you don't buy the IG anymore, how do you know what to do when??? (Maybe this would be obvious to me if I had used it previously?) Doesn't the IG include writing assignments or English-type lessons?

Merrilee Morse
04-24-2013, 12:07 AM
I make my own assignments. Ryan is autistic, and the writing assignments are hard for him to accomplish. I basically look at the number of books I have, the number of chapters in each, and work out how much needs to be accomplished each week to get everything done by the end of the school year. Honestly, it isn't rocket science, and you are paying Sonlight 80.00 for doing that work for you. Just not worth it to me, especially since I don't use all the books anyway. I haven't looked at the IG this year, but I think the way it used to be the history and literature IGs were sold separately, and I know the science IG was sold separately as well. That is a lot of bucks!