PDA

View Full Version : AIG: History Revealed

Ginger Lynn
04-18-2013, 09:26 AM
Has anyone used the three year course of AIG: History Revealed? If so, could you give me your pros and cons? Also, is it pretty student independent or is there a lot of teacher involvement? Thanks for any input you want to add!

Miranda.in.WA
04-18-2013, 11:43 AM
We have used ancients and LOVED it!! For a motivated student that loves learning, this was the ticket for us. Diana's audio CD's are awesome and each week (phase) sends the student thru a different assignment/with a focus that speaks to each learning style.

As far as parental involvement, I found that my desire to be involved was more than my ds needed. Does that make sense? Once he learned the grove of the curriculum, he could work very independently, but I enjoyed the lessons too so I was very hands on.

Diana waring is very personable and has made herself available to answer questions I've had. She has a yahoo group and a Facebook page.

Ginger Lynn
04-18-2013, 12:14 PM
So, if I don't have a "motivated student that loves learning," this might not be the way to go. He likes to learn about what he wants to learn about, but doesn't want to go out of his way to learn it.:eyes: So, should I keep,looking? He really wants to study Medieval, but I just don't know what to use.

Miranda.in.WA
04-21-2013, 08:04 PM
I guess the question would be how much do you expect from him and will that work with this curriculum.

If (or should I say when) my son wasn't motivated, I had to set minimums for him...like, you will read thru the text, you will listen to the CD...and let's compromise on one of these projects. So, you're not interested in doing a report about 14th century, but will you give me a two character conversation about the clothes they wore? How would they talk, what would they say?

Just an idea...

Diana wrote very rich lessons so he will learn a lot even if he doesn't do the extra projects. I would check and see if you can download a sample week. I know ancients has one.

Leslie Nelsen
04-21-2013, 09:36 PM
I'm not sure how different this may be from when we used it, but we spent a year doing the Ancients before it was a part of AIG. I would imagine that its pretty similar though I haven't looked. I loved the varied approaches to learning and she gave soooo many suggestions for projects to do within each unit. Something to fit each learning style. We found that my son enjoyed some new things that we hadn't explored.

We did a lot of this together as that is what worked for us that year so I can't really help with the independent. I don't remember it being a lot of mom prep. Maybe I should use this with my boys next year.

Ginger Lynn
04-22-2013, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the input ladies. You have been very helpful.